Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yikes
(06-15-2024, 04:17 PM)comet52 Wrote: Listing average guys and saying they could get lucky...ok.

Mahomes, Burrow, Jackson, Allen.  Maybe Herbert now that he isn't being coached by an utter moron.  These are guys who could have you in the mix every year.

Used to be Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, etc.  At any given time there are maybe 5 guys who fit the bill and are active/ in their prime.  You want one of those guys WAY more than 'oh if we just make everything else perfect and get really lucky we might get to the SB where we'll probably lose if we happen to be facing one of the five top guys which is likely'.

I think Mahomes is in a tier by himself. But Burrow, Jackson, Allen, Herbert...I think a healthy Lawrence will settle into that group this year or next as the Jags finish cleaning up the Urban Meyer mess.

(06-16-2024, 08:46 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think Mahomes is in a tier by himself. But Burrow, Jackson, Allen, Herbert...I think a healthy Lawrence will settle into that group this year or next as the Jags finish cleaning up the Urban Meyer mess.

Yah, Mahomes is in rarified air ala Rogers in his prime. Beyond good and at elite level. Reid deserves some applause too.

I would be over the moon happy for the fans, Vikings and JJM if he can settle into a tier being compared to Burrow, Allen etc..You can win a title with those guys.

(06-16-2024, 10:18 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Yah, Mahomes is in rarified air ala Rogers in his prime. Beyond good and at elite level. Reid deserves some applause too.

I would be over the moon happy for the fans, Vikings and JJM if he can settle into a tier being compared to Burrow, Allen etc..You can win a title with those guys.

There it is: Mahomes got to learn a bit, then be brought into Reid's system...and Reid had Philly teams that walked all over Minnesota back in the day.

As good as Mahomes is, and he absolutely is the king of the hill until proven otherwise, he's in a system and with a coach that is also really damned good.

Pat throws some ugly picks, just like any QB, and looks pretty "mortal" if his preferred targets are unavailable and/or were having bad "dropsies"...as we saw last season.

He has a top-5 OL, a top-tier TE, and defense that does its job in clutch situations. Tough to beat a team that wraps a very good QB in all those goods.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

Agreed Z...

I would put football at the top of the list for the pro sport that is most interdependent.

That KC coach (and front office) are very, very good at their jobs.

(06-16-2024, 08:46 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think Mahomes is in a tier by himself. But Burrow, Jackson, Allen, Herbert...I think a healthy Lawrence will settle into that group this year or next as the Jags finish cleaning up the Urban Meyer mess.

Actually I think what separates Mahomes and Brady as the guys who win it all the most often is not necessarily that their talent is somehow better than the other top guys, but the fact they are/were getting coached by HOF level guys. So in addition to needing JJM to pan out as top 5, we need KOC to do the same. Seems like a longshot but...

[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(Yesterday, 04:35 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trevo...to-career/

Thats a good read, pretty much nails it;

It's not like Pro Bowl or especially All-Pro quarterbacks grow on trees. Since Prescott entered the league in 2016, NFL teams have drafted 95 quarterbacks. 

Of those 95 players, 65 have appeared in at least one game. Just six -- Prescott, Wentz, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen and Hurts -- have made at least one All-Pro team. Six out of 95, over an eight-year span. 

That's how difficult it is to find high-level quarterback play, even now, when teams have more resources at their disposal than at any time in the history of the league. And that's why, when you find one who isgood, and who you think has even a chance to be great, it's worth it to retain him and do your level best to put him in position to succeed. 

If you don't, there's no telling how long you might have to wait to get another chance at that type of talent, and what you might have to give up in order to land him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(Yesterday, 10:09 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Thats a good read, pretty much nails it;

It's not like Pro Bowl or especially All-Pro quarterbacks grow on trees. Since Prescott entered the league in 2016, NFL teams have drafted 95 quarterbacks. 

Of those 95 players, 65 have appeared in at least one game. Just six -- Prescott, Wentz, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen and Hurts -- have made at least one All-Pro team. Six out of 95, over an eight-year span. 

That's how difficult it is to find high-level quarterback play, even now, when teams have more resources at their disposal than at any time in the history of the league. And that's why, when you find one who isgood, and who you think has even a chance to be great, it's worth it to retain him and do your level best to put him in position to succeed. 

If you don't, there's no telling how long you might have to wait to get another chance at that type of talent, and what you might have to give up in order to land him.

Yep. And its why you pay Trevor Lawrence. Its also why not resigning Cousins has some risk. Its rare that a guy as productive as Cousins at the QB position was allowed to sign elsewhere. But that's water under the bridge now.

Vikings put themselves in that situation, they should have extended KC 2 seasons ago.

I am sure the Falcons were incredulous he hit the mkt.

Still not sure singing Penix was the best thing to do though vs doubling-down on the KC investment.