Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those interested, this how you evaluate a QB
This guy played for 3 NFL teams. He's not one of the million internet schlubs who play online expert. He has some good segments with Kurt Warner evaluating players, and admit to the limitations in evaluations without the entire context and information other than game film. 

After watching multiple Oregon games (including both Ducks-Huskies games won by Washington), it really made me a fan of Bo Nix.  Penex just outperformed him and having Odunze to throw to sure helped.  Nix had some across his body throws across the field that were shocking dimes...tough throws.  I agree that he went through his progressions quickly.  I am not concerned about the age of either Nix or Penex...usually a freshly minted NFL QB has had only a fraction of starting experience that either of these two have.  Remember Mac Jones only started one year at Texas before the Pats drafted him.   Hardly a solid book.  I'll take a 23 year old who has experience starting for 4-5-6 years any day over a one-year wonder, especially if his numbers improved each year.  

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"comet52" said:
Guys who do these super granular evals where they are focusing on the mechanics of certain plays from a guy they fell in love with tend to miss the big picture.   The trick with evals is take it from Burt Bacharach and never fall in love again.  =)  Here are my notes on him:

Bo Nix Oregon Sr QB  6-2 217Decent pocket awareness.  Good athleticism, can motor but doesn't have elite/elusive running traits, more like just straight line speed.   Footwork is poor, often turns towards his target then throws mostly from his upper body.  Accuracy is not bad but his short passes tend to be low or in the ground.  Has touch on longer passes and a strong arm.  Stares at first read until it comes open, if not sacked by the time he realizes this he runs for it. I don't see elite processing or decisionmaking.  Can he transition to an offense where he has to go through progressions and find an open man? 2nd round (or later) material.  Lower tier NFL starter or more likely a backup.
You don’t fall in “love” with a player. 
You and Bo seem like an exception  :p   <3

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"comet52" said:
Guys who do these super granular evals where they are focusing on the mechanics of certain plays from a guy they fell in love with tend to miss the big picture.   The trick with evals is take it from Burt Bacharach and never fall in love again.  =)  Here are my notes on him:

Bo Nix Oregon Sr QB  6-2 217Decent pocket awareness.  Good athleticism, can motor but doesn't have elite/elusive running traits, more like just straight line speed.   Footwork is poor, often turns towards his target then throws mostly from his upper body.  Accuracy is not bad but his short passes tend to be low or in the ground.  Has touch on longer passes and a strong arm.  Stares at first read until it comes open, if not sacked by the time he realizes this he runs for it. I don't see elite processing or decisionmaking.  Can he transition to an offense where he has to go through progressions and find an open man? 2nd round (or later) material.  Lower tier NFL starter or more likely a backup.
Dude was sacked like 5 times the entire season. Footwork is excellent which is why his completion percentage is so high from short to long. It’s why he threw a single interception he was responsible for. There are a couple of low passes out of many dozens. He has full control of that offense, reads the defense and safeties then decides best option. Does progressions wicked fast. Much of that system is a pro style west coast offensive system. Many of the plays on film are what he will be doing at the next level. You don’t fall in “love” with a player. Each has their own positive and negatives. Nix has two issues where I see a problem. One, he doesn’t always dial it up when it would be beneficial. Secondly, he can be a little too conservative for my taste. The stuff you wrote, nearly all is refuted by the game tape. 

Watch each of this guy’s reviews. Nix isn’t his favorite and he is very very objective. Best of all, he understands offenses and the position being a former NFL QB. 
Don't know how a guy can set a NCAA record for completion % at 77.4 with a 9.6 average per attempt (outstanding) and his accuracy on short passes is just OK???  That was 2023, the year before he completed 72% of his passes with an average of 8.8 per attempt.  Those two years he threw 74 TD's and 10 Int's and he ran for 20 more TD's.  

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
@"comet52" said:

You don’t fall in “love” with a player. 
You and Bo seem like an exception  :p   <3
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b9520tlxku4js95txbzbixw...w.gif&ct=g]