Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those interested, this how you evaluate a QB

This guy is the best I’ve seen at understanding an offense and recognizing what is going on during a play from both sides of the ball. He looks at it exactly the way I do. You will see the difference between this evaluation and the vast majority provided by the “experts”. 

When I say most of these “experts” are clueless, it’s not that I’m just disagreeing with their analysis. I mean they, quite literally, have no idea what they are looking at. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vXhPq_VeQ

I can’t get the link to work. YouTube - Pocket Presence Bo Nix All 22

Pocket Presence has good reviews of each QB. You can learn a lot watching him.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
https://youtu.be/E3vXhPq_VeQ?si=WvqSb41xlOENYIDS
Thanks!

Can you link Drake Maye’s in this thread too? It’s excellent as well. 

I sure hope KAM and KOC are familiar with this.  Wink

There are parts of Nix I really like.....and others I really don't. He's a mixed bag. The problem laypeople have with evaluating (like this kid) is you just don't know how the play is supposed to go/called, only the result. I get why you like this guy because he's highly favorable of Nix. Its normal to want to gravitate toward opinion that aligns with our own. He might be right. Conversely, there's decent reason to worry about Maye. But you can also see that potentially his upside is higher than Nix. 

Who knows? Your opinion is as right as anyone's right now. 

I like Nix a lot, but I don't have time to watch that right now. Does he list his weaknesses? I don't trust any evaluation unless it points out a player's strengths and weaknesses. The great plays and the boneheaded ones. Because they ALL have weaknesses. Even Andrew Luck and Patrick Mahomes had weaknesses. If you're just pointing out the things he does great, it's more of an agenda than an evaluation IMO. 

Guys who do these super granular evals where they are focusing on the mechanics of certain plays from a guy they fell in love with tend to miss the big picture.   The trick with evals is take it from Burt Bacharach and never fall in love again.  =)  Here are my notes on him:

Bo Nix Oregon Sr QB  6-2 217Decent pocket awareness.  Good athleticism, can motor but doesn't have elite/elusive running traits, more like just straight line speed.   Footwork is poor, often turns towards his target then throws mostly from his upper body.  Accuracy is not bad but his short passes tend to be low or in the ground.  Has touch on longer passes and a strong arm.  Stares at first read until it comes open, if not sacked by the time he realizes this he runs for it. I don't see elite processing or decisionmaking.  Can he transition to an offense where he has to go through progressions and find an open man? 2nd round (or later) material.  Lower tier NFL starter or more likely a backup.

At this point, I start with whether he has autotuned singers in his playlists. If so...hard pass.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
Guys who do these super granular evals where they are focusing on the mechanics of certain plays from a guy they fell in love with tend to miss the big picture.   The trick with evals is take it from Burt Bacharach and never fall in love again.  =)  Here are my notes on him:

Bo Nix Oregon Sr QB  6-2 217Decent pocket awareness.  Good athleticism, can motor but doesn't have elite/elusive running traits, more like just straight line speed.   Footwork is poor, often turns towards his target then throws mostly from his upper body.  Accuracy is not bad but his short passes tend to be low or in the ground.  Has touch on longer passes and a strong arm.  Stares at first read until it comes open, if not sacked by the time he realizes this he runs for it. I don't see elite processing or decisionmaking.  Can he transition to an offense where he has to go through progressions and find an open man? 2nd round (or later) material.  Lower tier NFL starter or more likely a backup.
Dude was sacked like 5 times the entire season. Footwork is excellent which is why his completion percentage is so high from short to long. It’s why he threw a single interception he was responsible for. There are a couple of low passes out of many dozens. He has full control of that offense, reads the defense and safeties then decides best option. Does progressions wicked fast. Much of that system is a pro style west coast offensive system. Many of the plays on film are what he will be doing at the next level. You don’t fall in “love” with a player. Each has their own positive and negatives. Nix has two issues where I see a problem. One, he doesn’t always dial it up when it would be beneficial. Secondly, he can be a little too conservative for my taste. The stuff you wrote, nearly all is refuted by the game tape. 

Watch each of this guy’s reviews. Nix isn’t his favorite and he is very very objective. Best of all, he understands offenses and the position being a former NFL QB.