Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Bud Light Commercial
Quote: @"bigbone62" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
I'm genuinely curious to hear people's understanding of the "campaign" without googling it for a refresher. I have zero issue with people avoiding products because they disagree with the companies choices. However people keep talking about this campaign being a mistake and I don't think what they think happened is what happened.

What's bothered me more than anything is intelligent people allowing themselves to be suckered into an opinion based largely on inaccurate "stories" plastered all over social media. 
I think it would be easier for you to tell us what your understanding is. Because it sounds like you think you KNOW and we DON'T know. 

Sure thing. There was no ad campaign first of all. This Dylan person is an influencer. They were paid a  fee to post a video on their social media promoting a contest that had nothing to do with being trans.

It was a pre-existing contest for $15,000 for people submitting videos of them trying to carry as many cans of Bud Light as they could. In that video Dylan showed a one off can they were given for the shoot. 

Said can was not at that time and never was to be mass produced. There were no "pronoun cans" released or planned to be released in connection with this person. In other words people were triggered by an influencer making one post on their social media that people should take part in a totally unrelated to being trans contest. 

The post was meant to bring in a specific demo using an algorithm. So unless your social media interactions lead the algorithm to believe that was something you may be interested in you would have never seen the video. 
Yep, I get that this was an influencer. But at the same time, this V.P. also said the following below:
Bud Light's vice president of marketing discussed in a recent interview how she was inspired to update the "fratty" and "out of touch" humor of the beer company with inclusivity. 
Alissa Heinerscheid did an interview with the podcast "Make Yourself At Home" on March 30, where she discussed her work in transforming the Bud Light brand. 
“If we do not attract young drinkers to come and drink this brand, there will be no future for Bud Light,” the beer’s VP of marketing explained last month. “What I brought to that was a belief in, okay, what does ‘evolve and elevate’ mean? It means inclusivity. It means shifting the tone. It means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive and feels lighter and brighter and different and appeals to women and to men.”

Transgender is an incredibly small demographic, especially as it relates to beer drinkers. As to say that people 'would not see the video' because of the algorithm is naive. Its going to be seen, it just takes one viral share. How was this marketing campaign going to move the needle? Less people are drinking lite beer in general because of other options like hard seltzer, etc. My opinion is the potential downside was much larger than any possible upside because of the ignorance and intolerance of the biggest Bud Light demographic. And unfortunately, that's what happened. It was a Marketing misstep.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
I'm genuinely curious to hear people's understanding of the "campaign" without googling it for a refresher. I have zero issue with people avoiding products because they disagree with the companies choices. However people keep talking about this campaign being a mistake and I don't think what they think happened is what happened.

What's bothered me more than anything is intelligent people allowing themselves to be suckered into an opinion based largely on inaccurate "stories" plastered all over social media. 
I think it would be easier for you to tell us what your understanding is. Because it sounds like you think you KNOW and we DON'T know. 

Sure thing. There was no ad campaign first of all. This Dylan person is an influencer. They were paid a  fee to post a video on their social media promoting a contest that had nothing to do with being trans.

It was a pre-existing contest for $15,000 for people submitting videos of them trying to carry as many cans of Bud Light as they could. In that video Dylan showed a one off can they were given for the shoot. 

Said can was not at that time and never was to be mass produced. There were no "pronoun cans" released or planned to be released in connection with this person. In other words people were triggered by an influencer making one post on their social media that people should take part in a totally unrelated to being trans contest. 

The post was meant to bring in a specific demo using an algorithm. So unless your social media interactions lead the algorithm to believe that was something you may be interested in you would have never seen the video. 
you mean if you were a big beer drinker, or bud light drinker,  your algorithm may have linked that to you?  and the fact  that the marketing team selected a trans person to promote the contest (marketing campaign)  is exactly the type of marketing failure that is being discussed.

dont get me wrong,  i have been laughing at those throwing a hissy all along,  especially the ones that switched to other InBev brands,  or to other brands that support the same cultural choices,  but this is most certainly a marketing blunder by Buds marketing team.

I dont think you understand how refined the algorithms are on social media. Not all "big beer drinkers" would have been moved towards this post. They would have been directed towards the other influencers and posts that aligned with that beer drinkers individual social media footprint to promote the contest. Could you have stumbled upon it? I guess, though not likely unless looking for it or something LGBTQ related. Or your footprint indicated you may be interested beyond the beer aspect. In other words your footprint showed engagement with LGBTQ related influencers, entities, celebrities', content and causes.  Frankly, I have yet to encounter anyone who found this post on their organically who would have no reason for it to show up in their feed. Everyone I have spoken to had it pushed into existence by outside entitles seeking likes, clicks, votes or attention.  

The marketing team chose a trans person to promote because it was a highly targeted approach to reach the LGBTQ community while keeping it from the pitfalls of being a mainstream social media post that was pushed to everyone. I guess I dont know how you would propose hitting a target audience if you cant so much as show someone who represents that target audience without people melting down. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:

Yep, I get that this was an influencer. But at the same time, this V.P. also said the following below:
Bud Light's vice president of marketing discussed in a recent interview how she was inspired to update the "fratty" and "out of touch" humor of the beer company with inclusivity. 
Alissa Heinerscheid did an interview with the podcast "Make Yourself At Home" on March 30, where she discussed her work in transforming the Bud Light brand. 
“If we do not attract young drinkers to come and drink this brand, there will be no future for Bud Light,” the beer’s VP of marketing explained last month. “What I brought to that was a belief in, okay, what does ‘evolve and elevate’ mean? It means inclusivity. It means shifting the tone. It means having a campaign that’s truly inclusive and feels lighter and brighter and different and appeals to women and to men.”

Transgender is an incredibly small demographic, especially as it relates to beer drinkers. As to say that people 'would not see the video' because of the algorithm is naive. Its going to be seen, it just takes one viral share. How was this marketing campaign going to move the needle? Less people are drinking lite beer in general because of other options like hard seltzer, etc. My opinion is the potential downside was much larger than any possible upside because of the ignorance and intolerance of the biggest Bud Light demographic. And unfortunately, that's what happened. It was a Marketing misstep.

There are so many things wrong with you transgender is an incredibly small demographic comment. For starters there are more Americans who have yet to come out as being in the LGBTQ community than living open lives. People in that community literally fear for their lives, jobs, families, marriages and  health insurance if people find out. So ya, not sure a phone poll asking people what they identify as and whether or not they drink beer is baring totally transparent answers. Nor are you going to get closeted people dressing in a manor opposite of their birth gender to go out in public to order a Bud Light. So the ole eye test isn't super valid. 

That said, you take issue with the VP stating they want to grow the brand . But then say how transgender is an incredibly small demographic. Weird, a demographic that has never been targeted is a small demographic. Maybe, just maybe you target demographics that have never been targeted in hopes of growing their likelihood of purchasing a product. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:

There are so many things wrong with you transgender is an incredibly small demographic comment. For starters there are more Americans who have yet to come out as being in the LGBTQ community than living open lives. People in that community literally fear for their lives, jobs, families, marriages and  health insurance if people find out. So ya, not sure a phone poll asking people what they identify as and whether or not they drink beer is baring totally transparent answers. Nor are you going to get closeted people dressing in a manor opposite of their birth gender to go out in public to order a Bud Light. So the ole eye test isn't super valid. 

That said, you take issue with the VP stating they want to grow the brand . But then say how transgender is an incredibly small demographic. Weird, a demographic that has never been targeted is a small demographic. Maybe, just maybe you target demographics that have never been targeted in hopes of growing their likelihood of purchasing a product. 
Dude, appreciate your insight. I said my peace on it, my opinion. I'm not going down the rabbit hole. There's a lot I disagree with you in this response, but again, its cool to have differing opinions. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"bigbone62" said:

you mean if you were a big beer drinker, or bud light drinker,  your algorithm may have linked that to you?  and the fact  that the marketing team selected a trans person to promote the contest (marketing campaign)  is exactly the type of marketing failure that is being discussed.

dont get me wrong,  i have been laughing at those throwing a hissy all along,  especially the ones that switched to other InBev brands,  or to other brands that support the same cultural choices,  but this is most certainly a marketing blunder by Buds marketing team.

I dont think you understand how refined the algorithms are on social media. Not all "big beer drinkers" would have been moved towards this post. They would have been directed towards the other influencers and posts that aligned with that beer drinkers individual social media footprint to promote the contest. Could you have stumbled upon it? I guess, though not likely unless looking for it or something LGBTQ related. Or your footprint indicated you may be interested beyond the beer aspect. In other words your footprint showed engagement with LGBTQ related influencers, entities, celebrities', content and causes.  Frankly, I have yet to encounter anyone who found this post on their organically who would have no reason for it to show up in their feed. Everyone I have spoken to had it pushed into existence by outside entitles seeking likes, clicks, votes or attention.  

The marketing team chose a trans person to promote because it was a highly targeted approach to reach the LGBTQ community while keeping it from the pitfalls of being a mainstream social media post that was pushed to everyone. I guess I dont know how you would propose hitting a target audience if you cant so much as show someone who represents that target audience without people melting down. 

I dont think those algorithms are as you refined as you want to believe,  I am not a big SM user,  I dont think most people are,  and I get some of the most whacked out shit targeted at me that I have absolutely no idea how they thought that might be of interest to me.

the point of calling it a failure  is when your brand is largely dependent on blue collar males,  in this day and age,  pitching your brand to the transgender community is likely not a wise decision.   I am not saying its right, but those that are the most outspoken against the trans community,  are likely BLs core consumer.  It was a dumb move and it is evidenced by the nearly 40 billion AB has lost as a result of the move.   Marketing isnt about just being able to create an ad campaign, or choosing spokespeople,  its about knowing if its a good idea,  this certainly wasnt.

and like Stickys post noted,  this was more about some progressive exec thinking that they were going to  lift up their image than it was about selling beer to trans people.

I think that the percentage of people that are boycotting
Bud Light and are actually “ignorant and intolerant” is relatively low,
probably pretty close to the percentage of any group that is ignorant and intolerant.  It’s probably close to the percentage of people
that participated pussy hat protests that actively hate men or the percentage
of people in the BLM protests (not the riots) that hate white people.I think we’ve been divided into different tribes:  the woke and the not-woke (which mostly
consists of people who are sick of told they are evil by people that are only
judging them based on superficial categories). 
Companies that pick a side will undoubtedly alienate the other tribe.  While they’re certainly are some people that
are actively transphobic, and others that don’t want teachers or doctors
encouraging confused kids that they are trans, I think the majority of people
in the boycott are expressing their anti-wokeness.  Brands represent their customers, and if your
brand turns woke, people will leave your brand. 
Just imagine the opposite happening. 
What if Disney came out and hired Trump as their pitchman for the
release of some movies and he started talking about how these movies were part
of Making America Great Again.  A large
number of people would feel alienated from the brand and probably start a
boycot.  (Maybe not the best example, but
I think you get where I’m going with this)

So I'm in the beer ingredients business, specifically hops.  We produce a hop extract for aroma (not bittering).  The funny thing about this entire thread about Bud Light?  We use Bud Light in our sensory panel for tasting, in fact we keep it on tap in the office.  The reason?  We started out a few years ago using Coors Light, but after a few months of really becoming dialed in to the sensory notes (sounds strange, right?) of Coors Light, we realized that it actually had too much flavor.  So we switched to Bud Light for our base beer to which we add these flavor extracts, and IT IS PERFECT.  So I guess I have a different perspective (says the guy who drinks Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing at home).

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
So I'm in the beer ingredients business, specifically hops.  We produce a hop extract for aroma (not bittering).  The funny thing about this entire thread about Bud Light?  We use Bud Light in our sensory panel for tasting, in fact we keep it on tap in the office.  The reason?  We started out a few years ago using Coors Light, but after a few months of really becoming dialed in to the sensory notes (sounds strange, right?) of Coors Light, we realized that it actually had too much flavor.  So we switched to Bud Light for our base beer to which we add these flavor extracts, and IT IS PERFECT.  So I guess I have a different perspective (says the guy who drinks Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing at home).
thats funny,  I always thought Coors light was about the least flavorful beer on the market, I used to drink gallons of both BL and CL every week in the summer months.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
thats funny,  I always thought Coors light was about the least flavorful beer on the market, I used to drink gallons of both BL and CL every week in the summer months.
Yep, I've always viewed Coors Light as my least favorite. The only thing with less flavor was Natural Light (horrible shit).