Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Running Game
Last season Cook started dancing too much looking for a hole, it happens with older running backs.  This is the first season for Mattison being a feature back so it may take a few games to get in that I'm the guy mode.  I think Cook at his point in his career has lost a step and is going to be just a guy going forward.  For the money was he really worth resigning?

We still have to commit to the run.  I mean i get it that we have a potent passing attack, and we are certainly proving it, but if we dint have balance, teams will catch on.  

Quote: @"Greylock" said:
Last season Cook started dancing too much looking for a hole, it happens with older running backs.  This is the first season for Mattison being a feature back so it may take a few games to get in that I'm the guy mode.  I think Cook at his point in his career has lost a step and is going to be just a guy going forward.  For the money was he really worth resigning?
I disagree. He's still only 27 and had a number of explosive, big plays that were paramount in us winning some of those close games last season. There just is not that threat with Mattison. Downgrade in explosiveness and as a receiver. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
I disagree. He's still only 27 and had a number of explosive, big plays that were paramount in us winning some of those close games last season. There just is not that threat with Mattison. Downgrade in explosiveness and as a receiver. 
I will give you explosiveness,  but I think its a bit early to say as a receiver.  I do think AM has some things over  Cook though and one of them is how fast he hits the hole,  he isnt dancing looking for a home run, he is willing to take what the play gives and when it comes to moving the chains,  I will take that.   He also runs with more power and finishes his runs going forward better than DC,  so theres that.

"The Running Game"

Just going from zero to one state would be good....

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
I will give you explosiveness,  but I think its a bit early to say as a receiver.  I do think AM has some things over  Cook though and one of them is how fast he hits the hole,  he isnt dancing looking for a home run, he is willing to take what the play gives and when it comes to moving the chains,  I will take that.   He also runs with more power and finishes his runs going forward better than DC,  so theres that.
I think the problem and commonality between Cook last season and Mattison this season is a lack of running lanes due to the problems we've had on the interior offensive line. Bradbury being overpowered, Ingram struggling, all that. I think Mattison is a "trudger" and he's not going to break things like Cook could. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
I think the problem and commonality between Cook last season and Mattison this season is a lack of running lanes due to the problems we've had on the interior offensive line. Bradbury being overpowered, Ingram struggling, all that. I think Mattison is a "trudger" and he's not going to break things like Cook could. 
its a trade off,  I like to see the slicer and dicer types of runs at times,  but I also feel that the offense benefits more from a consistent run game over those -1, 1, 0, 12, types of output that we saw from DC last year.  Also as AM gets settled in,  I think we will see some longer runs,  but we need to get the D to back out of the box first,  we need to see more out of the quick and intermediate passing game to get those LBs and S from crashing down hill at the snap.  It just seems like our O is playing in quick sand this year compared to the defense.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
its a trade off,  I like to see the slicer and dicer types of runs at times,  but I also feel that the offense benefits more from a consistent run game over those -1, 1, 0, 12, types of output that we saw from DC last year.  Also as AM gets settled in,  I think we will see some longer runs,  but we need to get the D to back out of the box first,  we need to see more out of the quick and intermediate passing game to get those LBs and S from crashing down hill at the snap.  It just seems like our O is playing in quick sand this year compared to the defense.
The other problem is KOC is clearly a use the run as an afterthought kind of guy. It's not surprising considering he was a former quarterback and the weapons we have in the passing game, but it certainly makes it difficult to establish an effective rhythm when we are passing the ball all over the yard. Mattison has 19 carries in two games. Swift had that in one quarter last night. Compare that in contrast to how many games we've had Kirk throw the ball 40 times or more under KOC. That number is 10 including both games this season with some 50 burgers mixed in last season. You want to run it, there's got to be some commitment towards doing that from the guy calling plays 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
The other problem is KOC is clearly a use the run as an afterthought kind of guy. It's not surprising considering he was a former quarterback and the weapons we have in the passing game, but it certainly makes it difficult to establish an effective rhythm when we are passing the ball all over the yard. Mattison has 19 carries in two games. Swift had that in one quarter last night. Compare that in contrast to how many games we've had Kirk throw the ball 40 times or more under KOC. That number is 10 including both games this season with some 50 burgers mixed in last season. You want to run it, there's got to be some commitment towards doing that from the guy calling plays 
I think we need to pass to set up the run with the OL we have,  but yes,  they need to work that run in more often to find any sort of success with it.