Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Running Game
It sucks. We have 69 rushing yards in 2 games.

Mattison looks bad in all facets but we have nowhere to turn, and our suspect OL is already banged up badly.

Yes we’ve faced two good running defenses but does anyone have any ideas how we can fix this? TOP killed us last night and as the season wears on this will only become more problematic if we can’t sustain long drives.

I’m at a loss and would love to hear some suggestions on what the team can do in this area. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:

Mattison looks bad in all facets but we have nowhere to turn, and our suspect OL is already banged up badly.

Yes we’ve faced two good running defenses but does anyone have any ideas how we can fix this? TOP killed us last night and as the season wears on this will only become more problematic if we can’t sustain long drives.

I’m at a loss and would love to hear some suggestions on what the team can do in this area. 
fix the OLine.  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

fix the OLine.  
Sure in the future, but I’m talking this season.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

fix the OLine.  
Sure in the future, but I’m talking this season.
there likely isnt a fix,  Center sucks ( both of them) OGs are weak as hell,  if you cant get any push from the middle of the OL, you wont have much of a running game.  teams know you will try and run OT then and are prepared to stretch it out or flat out stop it.  The move was to target IOL ( and IDL)  in the draft more the last few years instead of skill positions,  fix the trenches and the rest would improve along the way by default... 

Just like last year, most run plays the OL was beaten, but there were several times where Mattison had a nice hole and it looked like it would be a nice gain and he somehow only ended up with 4 yards, those were plays that Cook would have busted and would change the game.  There was always the narrative with Cook that most of his yards were on a few plays, but those few plays were the difference in winning and losing a game. 
Mattison is just too slow to get through the hole, Chandler as well, I think Gaskins actually may be the best fit for their offense.  

Vikings run game isn't as bad as their run defense.

I don't ever recall the Viking defense giving up a 15? play TD drive where every play was a run.

That 1 series put the kaibosh on all my fandom hopes for the season.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Just like last year, most run plays the OL was beaten, but there were several times where Mattison had a nice hole and it looked like it would be a nice gain and he somehow only ended up with 4 yards, those were plays that Cook would have busted and would change the game.  There was always the narrative with Cook that most of his yards were on a few plays, but those few plays were the difference in winning and losing a game. 
Mattison is just too slow to get through the hole, Chandler as well, I think Gaskins actually may be the best fit for their offense.  
I think Mattison is hitting the holes faster than Cook was last year, which is why we arent seeing the negative runs as much,  which was the goal,  less 2nd and 11, even if we dont see the 1 or 2 longer runs per game,  more 2nd and 6 or 7 is a good thing for sustaining drives IMO.  However running behind our IOL is just a bad plan,  especially in short yardage situations.  It kinda made me doubly ill last night watching how the iggles just did what they wanted right up the middle against our D,  and we cant even hold the line let alone get any push with our OL.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
Vikings run game isn't as bad as their run defense.

I don't ever recall the Viking defense giving up a 15? play TD drive where every play was a run.

That 1 series put the kaibosh on all my fandom hopes for the season.
Yeah that was painful to watch but the gameplan was clearly to limit the passing game. That was mostly effective outside of a few (very costly) big plays.

69 rushing yards in two games is going to be worst in the league after this weekend, I assume by a large margin. It’s borderline dire and I’m curious if anyone has a solution. But yeah, there might not be one. Ugh. 

Our front office has put us in a helluva bind.  This is the shit you see right away with your team and plan to fix it via the draft and trades, etc. ahead of the season.  In-season mix and match games with the lines, especially if you have razor-thin depth is disastrous.  Sure, we can sign Risner and whomever else is available, but that does not fix our problem maybe until that new line gels, which will be right around the time we are already 2-7 on the season. 

You can't build a team from the outside-in. Football has always been a game won in the trenches and we've been careless in that regard under the new front office. 

I also said this team was going to miss Dalvin Cook. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm there after week 2