Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nwangwu
Quote: @rf54 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@rf54 said:
Kick return??? not going to be many this year.  any fair catch kick is moved to the 25.  The NFL is doing every thing it can to remove the kickoff
Seemed we saw KR in the preseason plenty.  If the teams plans are for that then why risk players health in meaningless games?  I didn't think that was on all kickoffs,   just following safeties and on kickoffs where the opposing team has a penalty or some such shit.   They are estimating this will only drop the return rate by about 7%,  so whatever the rule is,  they still expect over 30% of all kickoffs to be returned so the need for a guy that can do it well is still essential. 
Preseason when young players are trying to make a team?  Teams are constantly looking at the data, i am sure that all their preseason returns are being looked at to determin if the 25 is a better starting point vs returns that 1 in 10 may lead to a longer return... I am just reading the tea leaves, during the regular season there will be less returns, there were less last year and the rule change will lead to less this year.  Last year Kene avg 26.3 yds/return.  Is it worth having a roster spot taken up for one yard?  
The leagues numbers ( prior to pre-season ) 38% of kicks get returned,   they expect the new rule change to drop that to 30%,  only 8% less kicks getting returned with the new rule is what they are expecting according to their experts,  however they feel that lowering this number will have a greater impact on prevented concussions.   As far as return yard avg,  that is the dumbest stat in the league,   when we had CP here people always talked about return yards,  but that fool was running everything out regardless of how deep it was,  and since return yards are counted from where the ball starts and not from the goal line,  his 20+ avg looked good on paper,  until you factored in the amount of yards he gave away by not just taking a knee,  however after the league changed the touch back to the 25,  more teams started kicking short of the goal line so Kenes return yards are mostly all true return yards and with out knowing his avg true fielding position ( sometimes as far up as the 10.. then its significantly more that 1.3 more yards than the touchback,  not to mention he fills the roll of a reserve RB, which they are going to carry anyway,  at least he is a good ST contributor as well.  not to mention his homerun potential on those kick offs.  

in the end, I question some other roster spots more than Fast Kennys roll.

Kickoff return as all time low so far...

Quote: @rf54 said:
most teams are just kicking away from returner or simply out of the endzone,  has nothing to do with the new rule that I have seen.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@rf54 said:
most teams are just kicking away from returner or simply out of the endzone,  has nothing to do with the new rule that I have seen.
You can keep telling yopurself that, but most think it does.  Touch back guarantees ball at 25, no chance of fumble, no chance of injury, no chance of holding or bloack in back to put team half the distance to the goal...  

KRs are setting up at about 3yd line for even less chance of return.