Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure where Dalvin Cook will end up, but.....
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Word is he only visited the Jets to try and influence the Phins...

Yah the game sure has changed from the days where a top notch tail-back could make or break a team.

The NFL is also a league where the owners have the chips and the biggest piece of pie. Just the opposite of the NBA.

It was a bad agreement the NFLPA got them into. 
how is that?  every other position group is seeing higher contract numbers arent they?  maybe its the fact that RBs have a historically short shelf life and that they are becoming a dime a dozen in terms of ability?  its not a shit deal,  its simple economics IMO.  Supply exceeds demand.

as far as ownership having a bigger piece of the pie... they should,  they have invested millions/billions,  they own the show,  the actors are temporary and are interchangeable as has been proven for over 60 years. 

lets not pretend that these athletes are getting screwed over,  they are making more in a few years work than most people will make in a lifetime,  but I am sure if you wanted to start a go fund me page they wouldnt turn it down.  If anything the NFLPA should be charged with setting up some sort of profit sharing so that those that make the most pay into a fund to offset the pay differential,  seems to be what some want for our country so why shouldnt the unions be leading the charge?  Its funny that you point at the owners,  but not the other positions that are taking larger shares of the pie than they had in the past.  this is also why I laugh when people point at rising cap as a reason to spend larger %s of the cap on certain players,  it shouldnt be a surprise that all positions would want their share of that larger pool of cash.

Honestly,  why dont the RBs just strike,  that is their prerogative and would be the most logical way to bring attention to the money issue,  but if other RBs wont stand with these guys,  why should anybody else raise an eyebrow?
I couldn't agree more, Jimmy.  I love every aspect of your argument especially on owners deserving the larger piece of the pie.

Quote: @comet52 said:
I'm mostly with Jimmy on this one.  We're talking about guys who make millions a year crying that it's not enough.  So sue me if I really don't give a shit.  The game has changed and the position just doesn't have the same value it once did.  
Two RBs were taken in the top 12 in the draft this year which was 8 spots before a WR was taken, so wouldn't make that assumption.  RBs have a shorter playing term, because of the beating they take, so team are playing the game of taking advantage of their prime years while playing on rookie contracts and then moving on.  I think the RBs have a legit gripe that they are not being treated fairly in comparison to other positions.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@comet52 said:
I'm mostly with Jimmy on this one.  We're talking about guys who make millions a year crying that it's not enough.  So sue me if I really don't give a shit.  The game has changed and the position just doesn't have the same value it once did.  
Two RBs were taken in the top 12 in the draft this year which was 8 spots before a WR was taken, so wouldn't make that assumption.  RBs have a shorter playing term, because of the beating they take, so team are playing the game of taking advantage of their prime years while playing on rookie contracts and then moving on.  I think the RBs have a legit gripe that they are not being treated fairly in comparison to other positions.  

Well a new CBA will be negotiated in 2030 or thereabouts.  Maybe the tragic plight of these multimillionaires will be addressed then. :'( =)

Quote: @comet52 said:
@JR44 said:
@comet52 said:

Well a new CBA will be negotiated in 2030 or thereabouts.  Maybe the tragic plight of these multimillionaires will be addressed then. :'( =)
Would love to see how you would react if you were doing a job at your company that put you at risk for a shorter career and those with less riskier jobs and longer careers were getting paid more.  Don't think you would be so flippant and judgmental about it. 

@comet52 said:
@JR44 said:
@comet52 said:

Would love to see how you would react if you were doing a job at your company that put you at risk for a shorter career and those with less riskier jobs and longer careers were getting paid more.  Don't think you would be so flippant and judgmental about it. 
they choose to play a game, they choose to make a career out of playing that game,  they know the risks.     I have a good paying job,  some years a great paying job ( never even close to the kind of money the league pays even their lowest paid players though,  but I know that my career could end at anytime, a recession could hit at anytime,  my health could fail at anytime,  so I dont borrow money for anything, I save way more than I spend in the good years, and try and still save more than spend in the lean years.   We arent owed anything and life aint fair,  the sooner these men learn or accept this lesson the happier they will be in life.  we all work in jobs that likely has somebody making more for less risk/effort/ etc,  its just part of life,  no reason why football should be any different.

they have tools at their disposal,  or they are free to look for work elsewhere, but they are part of a union and their beef should be with their union and not crying to the fans about the mean old owners.

@comet52 said:
@JR44 said:
@comet52 said:

Give me an opportunity for a short career where I bank 7 or 8 figures.  I'll take it without complaint.