Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure where Dalvin Cook will end up, but.....
....he has to be a little surprised. I'm not, because this is the RB market in the NFL. But I'm guessing his agent sold him a bit on what he could get. I mean the guy hangs out at Jets camp and then leaves unsigned? Its a cold part of the business side of the NFL. 

You can't fight market forces. The game has changed and salaries reflect that. At some point there has to be a come to Jesus moment where he and all NFL running backs simply set their sights lower. 

Word is he only visited the Jets to try and influence the Phins...

Yah the game sure has changed from the days where a top notch tail-back could make or break a team.

The NFL is also a league where the owners have the chips and the biggest piece of pie. Just the opposite of the NBA.

It was a bad agreement the NFLPA got them into. 

Welcome to reality Dalvin. Might need some new marketing strategies now.

I think the RBs are being incredibly devalued especially when you compare their salaries to what other players who do not impact the game as much are getting.  I do not see how a back up TE gets 21 million for 3 years, but Dalvin can't get a deal when he has a far greater impact.  I think the team is underestimating his value, we do not win 13 games last year without him. We are going to lose that big play ability from the RB and the other factor going under the radar is how it impacts JJ as well, as the defense had another explosive player to game plan around. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
I think the RBs are being incredibly devalued especially when you compare their salaries to what other players who do not impact the game as much are getting.  I do not see how a back up TE gets 21 million for 3 years, but Dalvin can't get a deal when he has a far greater impact.  I think the team is underestimating his value, we do not win 13 games last year without him. We are going to lose that big play ability from the RB and the other factor going under the radar is how it impacts JJ as well, as the defense had another explosive player to game plan around. 

We had the highest percent of zero or negative run plays last year.  Cook was a huge reason for that.  If you want to bring up the big play ability you also need to bring up what would have happened if he would have just moved the pile forward for a yard or 3 and put us in a position to not need to do 11 one score wins. 

I'm honestly not really concerned about RB on this team.  This team goes through Kirko's arm and Jefferson's hands. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JR44 said:

We had the highest percent of zero or negative run plays last year.  Cook was a huge reason for that.  If you want to bring up the big play ability you also need to bring up what would have happened if he would have just moved the pile forward for a yard or 3 and put us in a position to not need to do 11 one score wins. 

I'm honestly not really concerned about RB on this team.  This team goes through Kirko's arm and Jefferson's hands. 
So based on that logic, it was Cousins fault that he was 3rd in the league in getting sacked?  And before you say anything about his mobility consider the Russell Wilson and Justin Fields were 1 and 2.  How was Cook responsible for that?  Most of those plays he was getting hit right when he was getting the handoff, it was his fault that the OL could not give him any room?  That is really unfair to put that on Cook just as it would be unfair to put the sacks on Cousins.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@AGRforever said:
@JR44 said:

So based on that logic, it was Cousins fault that he was 3rd in the league in getting sacked?  And before you say anything about his mobility consider the Russell Wilson and Justin Fields were 1 and 2.  How was Cook responsible for that?  Most of those plays he was getting hit right when he was getting the handoff, it was his fault that the OL could not give him any room?  That is really unfair to put that on Cook just as it would be unfair to put the sacks on Cousins.  

I guess we'll find out right?  The chicken or the egg analogy comes to mind. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Word is he only visited the Jets to try and influence the Phins...

Yah the game sure has changed from the days where a top notch tail-back could make or break a team.

The NFL is also a league where the owners have the chips and the biggest piece of pie. Just the opposite of the NBA.

It was a bad agreement the NFLPA got them into. 
how is that?  every other position group is seeing higher contract numbers arent they?  maybe its the fact that RBs have a historically short shelf life and that they are becoming a dime a dozen in terms of ability?  its not a shit deal,  its simple economics IMO.  Supply exceeds demand.

as far as ownership having a bigger piece of the pie... they should,  they have invested millions/billions,  they own the show,  the actors are temporary and are interchangeable as has been proven for over 60 years. 

lets not pretend that these athletes are getting screwed over,  they are making more in a few years work than most people will make in a lifetime,  but I am sure if you wanted to start a go fund me page they wouldnt turn it down.  If anything the NFLPA should be charged with setting up some sort of profit sharing so that those that make the most pay into a fund to offset the pay differential,  seems to be what some want for our country so why shouldnt the unions be leading the charge?  Its funny that you point at the owners,  but not the other positions that are taking larger shares of the pie than they had in the past.  this is also why I laugh when people point at rising cap as a reason to spend larger %s of the cap on certain players,  it shouldnt be a surprise that all positions would want their share of that larger pool of cash.

Honestly,  why dont the RBs just strike,  that is their prerogative and would be the most logical way to bring attention to the money issue,  but if other RBs wont stand with these guys,  why should anybody else raise an eyebrow?

I'm mostly with Jimmy on this one.  We're talking about guys who make millions a year crying that it's not enough.  So sue me if I really don't give a shit.  The game has changed and the position just doesn't have the same value it once did.