Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wentz To Commodes
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h
Washington's exhaustive QB search spanned five trade options (Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo) along with Mitch Trubisky as a prime free agency target before zeroing in on the Wentz deal, per source.
And the circle begins again where teams will draft some QBs way too high, they'll flounder and fail, and they'll draft another one in 3 years and wash, rinse and repeat. 
I wish more people understood this. So many think the best thing for the Vikings is to rip the bandaid off, trade everyone, start fresh, and think of all those picks! As if drafting a QB who can play at Cousins level is just a matter of turning in the card. (Never mind finding an edge like Hunter or a back like Dalvin).

But people who follow the draft closely will tell you you're far more likely to draft a few Winstons, Mariotas, Goffs, Wentzes and Rosens before you find your Burrow or Herbert. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h
Washington's exhaustive QB search spanned five trade options (Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo) along with Mitch Trubisky as a prime free agency target before zeroing in on the Wentz deal, per source.
And the circle begins again where teams will draft some QBs way too high, they'll flounder and fail, and they'll draft another one in 3 years and wash, rinse and repeat. 
I wish more people understood this. So many think the best thing for the Vikings is to rip the bandaid off, trade everyone, start fresh, and think of all those picks! As if drafting a QB who can play at Cousins level is just a matter of turning in the card. (Never mind finding an edge like Hunter or a back like Dalvin).

But people who follow the draft closely will tell you you're far more likely to draft a few Winstons, Mariotas, Goffs, Wentzes and Rosens before you find your Burrow or Herbert. 
I'd settle for one person at SKOR understanding this. If that happens, the lemmings will follow. Then maybe we could work on QB wins.

But, I'm a dreamer.

@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h
If you don't swing, you miss every time.  

I understand draft success rates and every pick is a risk/reward.  The overall success rate of drafting a starting caliber player for a few years, after the 3rd round, is less then 10% and goes down from there.  The success rates of the first 2 rounds is much higher (again starting player for years) but still no where near even 50%.  

But teams that trust their evaluators and the process attempt to increase their odds of success in every round and specifically at the most important position in sports.  If you were to look at the 32 starting QB's (not all pro bowlers just starters) the vast majority were first round picks, and most were taken at the teams draft spot or aggressively moved up for in the first round like recently Mahomes and Josh Allen.  If you remove Brady (anomaly) the vast majority of winning SB QB's were drafted in the first round.

Sure, we can focus on all the misses by us and others and the odds off misses far outweigh the hits.  If you add the caveat of Top QB's then you odds, of course, dwindle down to low single digits over history.  But if you don't believe in your process of evaluations and you don't trust you decision makers then your odds of hitting on a QB are zero...so you choose another less impactful position pick with maybe odds of 20% success rate.  

Now, if you trust your process/evaluations and thier is no first round QB worth it then you move along.  But if a guy is within your reach like Mahomes/Allen then you carpe diem.  

Again, some of us have differing opinions on how to get to the promised land and that is what blogs are for.  No need to chide others who don't think like you do.  I appreciate everyones insight and read and do my best to understand where they are coming from but sometimes I have a different opinion Smile

Like, I wanted to move on from Zimmer 3 years ago and voiced that opinion but didn't constantly post about it.  The masses certainly came on board around mid season las year.

I have now come to the conclusion that Kirk is taking us nowhere and I do advocate for a trade even if we can get decent value.  I know others disagree.  Good but I am not going to post about how I don't understand there logic or again chide them into group think.  Some of us have differing opinions that is all.  Now let's go get on the path of victory.  If it doesn't happen the way I thought it should who cares, I don't, I just want a friggin SB winning team.   

SKOL

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h

I hear ya and have said as much in the past. Signing Cousins was a big swing. I'm talking about over drafting a QB, not taking a known quantity like a Burrow. That's easy. I'd like to take more of a chance like in a scenario like the LA Chargers did: where you knew there was talent, you just had to decide which one was your guy. A Justin Herbert vs. Tua type thing. And Herbert is a home run. But this year guys are going to be overdrafted at QB and that's when it gets real slippery. The Trubisky trade up was a freaking fiasco for Chicago.

@"minny65" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h

I hear ya and have said as much in the past. Signing Cousins was a big swing. I'm talking about over drafting a QB, not taking a known quantity like a Burrow. That's easy. I'd like to take more of a chance like in a scenario like the LA Chargers did: where you knew there was talent, you just had to decide which one was your guy. A Justin Herbert vs. Tua type thing. And Herbert is a home run. But this year guys are going to be overdrafted at QB and that's when it gets real slippery. The Trubisky trade up was a freaking fiasco for Chicago.
Cousins, Bradford, Favre, were all big swings and I was for all of them.  But I was talking about the drafting of a QB not a FA big swing.  There are much better odds of signing a known quantity already starting NFL QB then doing all the work and taking your swing in the draft like Mahomes/Allen.  But signing those FA's is usually for top dollar like Kirk.  This will be Kirk's 5th and final contract year with us.  I personally, have seen enough to think he is not our answer to get over the hump and be a SB contending team.  I also think we have a ton of holes in other places to warrant extending him and thinking we can fill a few holes and again be a SB contending team.  

But taking that swing in the draft is what builds a consistently competitive team because you might get the Mahomes/Allen's on the cheap and add $$$ to build around.  That is what I am talking about when I say take the swing.  Last year, I was one of the few posters who wanted us to take a shot at one of the Top QB's for two reasons - One - very deep 1st round talent  and two-we had the 14th pick which has been high for us.  We are usually in limbo of 18-25 the reward for being a borderline playoff team.  But 14, and now 12, are close enough to move up for if you have conviction in a QB.  Last year, I said during the draft, that I would have tried to move up to around 10 to get Fields.  If Fields was coming out this year he would be a Top 3 pick and maybe #1.  
But the crowd said that we had Cousins and we didn't need to draft a QB high and we should build around Cousins.  Well here we are, some people want to extend Kirk and continue to build around him and less are in my boat that is ready to move on from Kirk and get a decent draft pick or two and save money for other spots.  

There is a small handful of very consistent posters who are always saying that drafting a QB in the first is too risky or doesn't pay dividends.  Every draft pick is risky.  Then they post about how they can't understand why everyone else doesn't see that Cousins is good enough (stat based at least) with all the other pieces.  I used to be part of that train of thought up until last year.  It was also many of the same posters who were a few years behind moving on from Zimmer.  

I really hope I am wrong on Kirk (if we keep him) but I really don't think I am.  We are going nowhere with him and the team needs a lot to be competitive.  I have a different opinion.  The Bears are doing what I would have wanted us to do last year.  Fire Zimmer, Draft a QB like Fields at 10 (honestly I would not have been for Mac Jones - not a revisionist), and start a rebuild.  I am for that again this year in most of those terms.  Not saying I want us to 100% draft a QB at 12 or higher if we don't think they are worthy.  I have to trust the new regime.  But if they fall in love with one of the Top QB's (Willis, Redder, Pickett) then go get them...take that swing!  I also have no problem if this new regime is really thinking 2023 but will not ever say that.  I am just not going to be happy with extending Kirk and settling for the same old which will be pick 18-25...again in 2023.  

Lastly, my comments about a few posters who chide others who have differing opinions on how to get there is not directed at you specifically.  I know I have a minority opinion but it is as valid as the other thought process.  

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h

I'd settle for one person at SKOR understanding this. If that happens, the lemmings will follow. Then maybe we could work on QB wins.

But, I'm a dreamer.
Remind me next season when Kirk does all the same stuff he's always done that pisses off the fan base then puts his corporate QB suit on at the presser and tells us he just took what the defense gave him.

Fans are busy kidding themselves that he will magically transform because KOC is here now.   The SKOR guys aren't going to start bullshitting themselves or their listeners about it.  Imo the guy will kill KAM/KOC's careers if they bet heavily on him.

If I could post longer articles here I would send one on Kirk from the Athletic that is an eye opener.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h

But, I'm a dreamer.
Remind me next season when Kirk does all the same stuff he's always done that pisses off the fan base then puts his corporate QB suit on at the presser and tells us he just took what the defense gave him.

Fans are busy kidding themselves that he will magically transform because KOC is here now.   The SKOR guys aren't going to start bullshitting themselves or their listeners about it.  Imo the guy will kill KAM/KOC's careers if they bet heavily on him.

If I could post longer articles here I would send one on Kirk from the Athletic that is an eye opener.
The SKOR guys just suggested bringing in Kaepernick as a bridge QB. They suggest bringing in Watson after suggesting QBs that take up too much of the cap can't win. SKOR deals almost exclusively in complete bull shit in order to generate clicks. They know their audience and they lap it up.

@"comet52" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h

But, I'm a dreamer.

The SKOR guys just suggested bringing in Kaepernick as a bridge QB. They suggest bringing in Watson after suggesting QBs that take up too much of the cap can't win. SKOR deals almost exclusively in complete bull shit in order to generate clicks. They know their audience and they lap it up.
I would agree to the extent that filling a podcast 6 days a week with Viking content means lots of dull filler.  But on the subject of Kirk I think they make plenty of sense.  If course that could be because Mackey's take on Kirk is so similar to mine I think he stole it from me. :p

@"comet52" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
· 3h

But, I'm a dreamer.

Sports Podcasts/sports radio/daytime sports TV talk is all about appealing to the lowest common denominator. Always has been.