Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which head coach opening is most attractive?
Simply looking at Baalke’s track record in the NFL, leaves a lot to be desired. While he was the GM with the San Francisco 49ers from 2011-2016, the franchise went to three straight championship games and one Super Bowl. The success would end there, however.
In those three seasons, Baalke was unable to build a roster that could have sustained success. In the three failed seasons following, resulting in a 15-32 record, that much would be realized and Baalke was let go, along with the third head coach of his regime, Chip Kelly.
From 2011-16, Baalke drafted just three Pro Bowl players, defensive end Aldon Smith (2012), defensive tackle DeForest Buckner (2018) and safety Eric Reid (2013). In fact, of the 61 players that Baalke selected from 2011-16, just three remain on the roster today: S Jaquiski Tartt (2015), DL Arik Armstead (2015) and S Jimmie Ward (2014).
Those classes included seven first-round picks and six second-round picks.
His free-agent classes left much to be desired, too.
With the Jaguars, Baalke became the team’s permanent GM, hired alongside Meyer to lead the ship. Still, the team has suffered in his first season, going 2-13. Baalke was also a part of the team’s worst record. 1-15, in team history as the director of player personnel through much of 2020.
Outside of Lawrence and CB Tyson Campbell, the Jaguars’ rookie class this season hasn’t made much of an impact.
Second-round pick LT Walker Little has played just 110 snaps, third-round pick S Andre Cisco has played just 123 (season-high 28 snaps in each of the past two weeks with RayShawn Jenkins on IR), fourth-round picks DT Jay Tufele (six snaps) and Jordan Smith (0) have barely seen the field.
Fifth-round pick TE Luke Farrell has played 188 snaps and sixth-round pick WR Jalen Camp didn’t make the opening-day 53-man roster.
Baalke’s reputation certainly precedes him.
As former MercuryNews columnist Tim Kawakami, now with The Athletic, put it in his piece shortly following Baalke and Jim Harbaugh’s breakup, the GM simply is all football, all the time.
That can lead to plenty of broken relationships over a simple disagreement; that makes it tough to cultivate the relationships necessary to run an NFL franchise.
“Football is the only thing for both men,” Kawakami said about both Baalke and Harbaugh, “ “and when they begin to disagree on football matters, even the littlest things become epic battlegrounds and the guy who loses the battle remembers it forever, so it only builds towards the next battle and the next one.”

Shad Khan needs to adjust the organization’s structure, againMeyer was brought in to be a CEO, someone who can handle the inner workings of an organization and bring it to success. He’s done that in the past. Winning at the collegiate level, but failed mightily when it came to the NFL stage.
That wasn’t the wrong part of Khan’s line of thinking when it came to hiring a coach of Meyer’s ilk, however. The structure of having a coach-oriented organization has been shown to work. But having one person in charge of literally everything is perhaps naïve, especially when considering a first-year coach.
Moving forward, Khan must re-organize his thoughts. While he has repeatedly stated that he has roster control. Meaning nothing is done without passing by his eyes at some point, his presence within the organization is minute, to say the least. His impact beyond hiring people and rubber stamping certain major moves is small.
He said it himself when speaking to reporters on that Monday evening on his Yacht. It’s “ceremonial,” in nature; his roster control.
“It’s more ceremonial, let’s face it,” he explained. “But when I didn’t have it, you would find out about it. And frankly, it was controversial earlier this year when I told people, ‘Hey, whoever the head coach is and whoever the GM is, I’m keeping it for a while until they’ve earned that.’ “
Certainly, that isn’t a big issue if there is an appropriate check and balance system within the organization itself. Khan had the right idea in 2017 when he brought in an Executive Vice President. The issue was the person he brought, Tom Coughlin, rubbed too many within the organization the wrong way, most importantly its players.
But, having a person as his eyes and ears within the building, and making sure the ship is steering in the right direction is vital for Khan moving forward.
At a glance, teams like the Kansas City Chiefs and the Baltimore Ravens certainly have those checks, at least within their own departments. The Chiefs, for example, have Brett Veach as the head-honcho, along with assistant GM Mike Borgonzi, executive director of player personnel Ryan Poles and senior director of player personnel Mike Bradway.
Contrast that with the Jaguars and you see Baalke, and roles such as senior personnel executive Tom Gamble, director of player assessment Ryan Stamper, director of college scouting Michael Davis and director of pro personnel DeJuan Polk.
There isn’t enough experience there with the ins and outs of both sides of the organization - coaching and player acquisition. Teams such as the Denver Broncos (John Elway) and the San Francisco 49ers (John Lynch) have adopted that sort of model.
That’s not sustainable.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Yah @Minny, I'm not sure Rogers is going anywhere anymore...

Pack fans I talk to (the few smart ones) know the chances of landing a 3rd HOF Qb in a row are remote and want him back. 

They're fine with shipping off Love to anyone for anything. 
Pretty sure Rodgers is gone. Word among the beat writers is that the only reason he agreed to play in Green Bay this year is because the Packers agreed to trade him if he played one more year. 

I think just because it's been quiet doesn't mean that's not still true. And likely to Denver. 

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Jags is the #1 job. Trevor Lawrence, some good young players, and an ownership that's not afraid to spend and win at all costs. 
Nope. Kahn and Baalke make this the least desirable. Quinn already turned them down. It's a complete shitshow in Duval
I still think it's hugely desirable from a roster perspective and for the state of Florida itself. Good weather and that whole no state income tax thing is going to put more money in your pockets. 
Roster perspective on offense, yes. On defense, they are 27th in PPG and rank near the bottom in most defensive categories. They have been wiped clean from that AFCCG run that was quite the outlier. Ownership is quite dysfunctional and it almost feels like they would rather be the London Jaguars
I thought it was a joke. There would be last on the list, about 30 spaces, and then Jacksonville. Chicago not too far above that. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Pack fans I talk to (the few smart ones) know the chances of landing a 3rd HOF Qb in a row are remote and want him back. 

Pretty sure Rodgers is gone. Word among the beat writers is that the only reason he agreed to play in Green Bay this year is because the Packers agreed to trade him if he played one more year. 

I think just because it's been quiet doesn't mean that's not still true. And likely to Denver. 
The Green Bay market for 90 percent of the players is a joke. Its beyond small town for a 'NFL' city. There are just over 100,000 people there. Its been artificially propped up the league to be sustainable. The media is so grandiose and nostalgic about it and paints a false picture of quaintness: it ain't quaint. I lived an hour from Green Bay until I was out of college so I know of what I speak. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

The Green Bay market for 90 percent of the players is a joke. Its beyond small town for a 'NFL' city. There are just over 100,000 people there. Its been artificially propped up the league to be sustainable. The media is so grandiose and nostalgic about it and paints a false picture of quaintness: it ain't quaint. I lived an hour from Green Bay until I was out of college so I know of what I speak. 
I'm 1/2 sconny...Spent a lot of time in Appleton, WI when growing-up. So I know and I agree from first hand experience. 

GB is a shit town and frankly you have to give that org credit in their drafting & free agent signings too. Its gotta be a hell of a lot harder recruiting and retaining talent there than either of the coasts.

But they've done it. The magnet has been Favre then Rogers. 

@MB, I think the relationship between Rogers and Packers has warmed considerably since the season started. It might be a love-fest if they win another SB. I know it looks like the table is set for Rogers to join Paton, but I'm not feeling that anymore. Sure hope it happens though lol! 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

How does that work if they can't get what they want from a trading partner?   Seems like a very vague sort of agreement.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

How does that work if they can't get what they want from a trading partner?   Seems like a very vague sort of agreement.
Winning cures all and I think GB/Rodgers are a lock for a SB and that will be enough for him to stay.  He just likes to be passive aggressive and have GB profess their love and need for him.

I wonder if Paton/Broncos, after Rodgers staying in GB, would be interested in trading for Cousin's?

Does anyone have any preferred HC candidates? Our D is in a terrible state, but I would prefer someone who manages the entire team and is more of an offensive mind than defensive mind. They still have a lot of talent on offense and dealt with a ridiculous amount of injuries and illnesses this year, which hopefully would balance out.

Quote:

Winning cures all and I think GB/Rodgers are a lock for a SB and that will be enough for him to stay.  He just likes to be passive aggressive and have GB profess their love and need for him.

I wonder if Paton/Broncos, after Rodgers staying in GB, would be interested in trading for Cousin's?
There's a sucker born every minute, but I don't think George Paton is that particular sucker.