Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which head coach opening is most attractive?
I was wondering your thoughts on which head coaching job that will be available at the end of the year is most appealing and why? 

Gotta be Vikings, right? This guy agrees: 

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/12...g-opening/

to quote Parcells......the job where...”If they want you to cook the meal, then at least help buy the groceries”

When head coaching vacancies emerged at USC and LSU this past fall, Matt Rhule told his Panthers’ players he could get one of the top college jobs and make more money but he wanted to be with them in Charlotte. Rhule’s comments, made during a team meeting, presumably were meant to assure his players of his belief in what he calls “the process,” which has come under increasing fire as the Panthers have lost 21 of 31 games under Rhule’s tenure.
Rhule was hired in Carolina in 2020 after overseeing quick turnarounds at Temple and Baylor, but sources say owner David Tepper is unhappy and embarrassed after the $16 billion hedge fund manager gave Rhule a seven-year, $62 million deal to outbid the New York Giants for his services. Tepper apparently plans to give Rhule a third year, with Rhule saying this week the owner had privately expressed “nothing but confidence about me and the future and moving forward.” But the three-month collapse after a 3-0 start has tested everyone’s patience, with one Panthers source characterizing the team’s regression in Rhule’s second season as “a clusterfuck.”
A 32-6 loss to Tampa Bay last weekend matched the largest margin of defeat in his two seasons, but Rhule said his process is “1,000 percent working,” even if the results don’t show it. There is growing skepticism among some Panthers players about whether that’s the case. Many of the 20-plus players, staffers, team and league sources interviewed for this story believe the same attributes that made Rhule a successful college coach are undermining his efforts in the NFL.

Another potential opening.

I hope Zimmer is done but not really sure it will happen.  Don't think the Wilfs have made a decision yet and with the way this year has played out with Covid and injuries, wouldn't be surprised if he is given one last chance.  But it also may mean changes to the coaching staff, somebody will take the blame for this year.  Just a feeling

Not as many openings as I once estimated/anticipated.  Flores has righted the ship in Miami, and I am not sure about Culley with the Texans.  Also, the Raiders are still in a long shot playoff hunt with their interim.  

The Broncos ironically with Paton are in a similar position as the Vikings in terms of HC.  Fangio is an old-time defensive guru who seems to only be able to coach up that side of the ball but he is just finishing up his 3rd year so not sure what Paton will do.  Paton inherited him so there is that.  I also think the Broncos/Paton were, and still are, all in on getting Rodgers so Paton may think that will cure all ills on that side of the ball.  Of course, I would love for Rodgers to move out of GB but I am starting to think Rodgers will stay/extend because there is a very good chance, they win the SB (F***k).

So, like Paton/Fangio we might hang on for.....1 more year of Zimmer ball and finish out the contract!  

Of course, I am not for that at all.

Last year, there were 7 new coaches and 7 new GM's.

This offseason does not look as busy on either front.

Likely need new HC - Jags, Bears, Giants

60/40 need - Vikings, Raiders

50/50 - Broncos, Texans, Panthers

If all of those teams' positions become open, I would think the Broncos, Vikings and Bears are the best available.  

Yah @Minny, I'm not sure Rogers is going anywhere anymore...

Pack fans I talk to (the few smart ones) know the chances of landing a 3rd HOF Qb in a row are remote and want him back. 

They're fine with shipping off Love to anyone for anything. 

I think what makes the Vikings attractive is that it is a first class organization in terms of ownership and facilities.  From a players standpoint, I think a coach has to start with the future of the QB position, because ultimately that is going to determine his success.  From that standpoint I think our position becomes less attractive, because the answer is not on the current roster, so the ownership would need to convince them they have the means to make it happen by trade or draft.  

In an attempt to learn from the recent past for our next HC:

Jags - college ranks Urban Meyer - embarrassment
Bears - Nagy from Andy Reid coaching tree, was Coach of the Year in first year 12-4, considered creative offensive mind.  Finishing up his 4th season.  
Giants - Judge from the Patriots/Belichick coaching tree - hired two years ago with background of ST/WR coach...not OC.  Finishing up his second year.

Quote: @minny65 said:
In an attempt to learn from the recent past for our next HC:

Jags - college ranks Urban Meyer - embarrassment
Bears - Nagy from Andy Reid coaching tree, was Coach of the Year in first year 12-4, considered creative offensive mind.  Finishing up his 4th season.  
Giants - Judge from the Patriots/Belichick coaching tree - hired two years ago with background of ST/WR coach...not OC.  Finishing up his second year.
Players make the coaches in the nfl...

It so simple; gotta get the trenches right, acquire a few skill players and then the right QB. 

TB, GB, Chiefs and Rams are the models. Ok, the Rams are a bit funky with their "all in" mentality but you get the drift. All of em have HOF QB's with the exception of Stafford.  

What's remarkable is that we've already beaten the Packers and the Rams really wanted us to win that one too.