Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stefanski's Browns 6-6
Stefanski is as snakebit as Zimmer...Imagine that? 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Weird how Zimmer gets crucified for being good every other year, but Stefanski is getting a pass? 6-10, 11-5, and 6-6 so far...

And for being an offensive guru, the offense is what is holding back an extremely talented Browns team?  Look at their defense...  It's loaded and performing.

I like Stefanski and think he's a good coach. Just pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.  ;-)
I think Stefanski is getting a pass this year is because of all of their injuries. When Nick Chubb is 100% healthy their offense is so much better, but that's also when Baker is 100% healthy too. Both are not healthy and Baker flat out sucks this year. If they miss the playoffs I think he will get some heat in the offseason going into next year.

Setting injuries aside and just reviewing common opponents so far….
At least he beat the Bengals, Bears and us. We beat the Chargers and Packers (they are yet to play them)
Just saying

Glad you pointed out that the Browns are a run first team, Minny...  sure seems like Stefanski's run-first philosophy wasn't a Zimmer mandate like many fans complained.  The Browns offense sure looks eerily similar to the Vikings offense when Stefanski was the OC for the last half of 2018 and 2019.

Maybe Zimmer doesn't have as much say in the offensive game plan and game day playcalling as fans like to think.

Quote: @DeepFreeze05 said:
Although it is early, he deserves some credit for having some success as a Cleveland Browns coach. I mean his team did beat the Vikings and at least they are at .500.

History has repeatedly shown it is not easy being a Browns coach.

W/L record2020: 11-5, plus the team's first playoff win in 25 years (Stafansky)
2019: 6-102018: 7-82017: 0-162016: 1-152015: 3-132014: 7-92013: 4-122012: 5-112011: 4-122010: 5-112009: 5-112008: 4-122007: 10-6 <-----last winning season2006: 4-122005: 6-102004: 4-122003: 5-112002: 9-7
2001: 7-92000: 3-131999: 2-14
The last time the Browns were above .500 in back to back years was 1988 (10-6) and 1989 (9-6-1).  So over 30 years ago!!  The Browns are currently 6-6 with a very tough schedule remaining after their bye.  If Stefanski manages to get them to 9 wins it will be a very good coaching job in back to back seasons - IMO.  Not sure why some fans are hoping he fails or trying to say that after taking over a horrible franchise he hasn't done well.  He is a season and a half into his first HC job after working his way through the ranks with the Vikings for 13 years.  I am pulling for him to succeed.  

Glad you pointed out that the Browns are a run first team, Minny...  sure seems like Stefanski's run-first philosophy wasn't a Zimmer mandate like many fans complained.  The Browns offense sure looks eerily similar to the Vikings offense when Stefanski was the OC for the last half of 2018 and 2019.

Maybe Zimmer doesn't have as much say in the offensive game plan and game day playcalling as fans like to think.
Yea when you are hired 2 years removed from your new team drafting Mayfield and Chubb and building a good young OL you are going to be a run first team.  Then you add the problems they have had with injuries/head case OBJ and they don't have the WR core that we do either.  So it made sense last year, and so far this year, to be a run first offense for the Browns. Last year was Stefanski's first draft and they did not have a 1st rounder.  I looked real quick and I think they drafted almost all Defense.  This past draft, his second, they went CB - Newsome in the first and then the LB/S Notre in the second, they finally drafted a WR in the 3rd round.    I am not sure of Zimmer's influence over Stefanski but he sure seems focused on continuing to build their Defense (his first - first round pick was a CB Smile and use what he inherited on Offense.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Wetlander said:

Yea when you are hired 2 years removed from your new team drafting Mayfield and Chubb and building a good young OL you are going to be a run first team.  Then you add the problems they have had with injuries/head case OBJ and they don't have the WR core that we do either.  So it made sense last year, and so far this year, to be a run first offense for the Browns. Last year was Stefanski's first draft and they did not have a 1st rounder.  I looked real quick and I think they drafted almost all Defense.  This past draft, his second, they went CB - Newsome in the first and then the LB/S Notre in the second, they finally drafted a WR in the 3rd round.    I am not sure of Zimmer's influence over Stefanski but he sure seems focused on continuing to build their Defense (his first - first round pick was a CB Smile and use what he inherited on Offense.  

Opps screwed up..I was looking at 2019 draft before Stefanski.  His first draft pick was Wills - OT - Alabama 2020 1st round and then second round a Safety-Delpit.  2021 1st round was Newsome.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Wetlander said:

Let me just clear this up, I wasn't criticizing Stefanski.  I think he's a very good young coach and has the Browns being competitive and playing well... something that they haven't been in a looooong time.  I just thought this was a good opportunity to point out some hypocrisy from our fans who are giving Stefanski the benefit of the doubt or lamenting that we didn't keep him over Zimmer.

The funny thing is...  we would probably look very similar to the Browns...  run-first offense (remember Kirk had his least amount of pass attempts since he was here under Stefanski)...  relying on our run game, playing defense...  all things fans complain about under Zimmer.  Which in case anyone hasn't noticed, Zimmer has been pretty vocal about Kirk taking more shots down field...  and not just this year, it's been a couple years now.

Fans seem to think Zimmer wants a run-heavy offense.  He doesn't.  He's said multiple times in the past that he wants an offense that can run the ball and set up play-action to pick up chunk gains downfield.  He wants a tough team, not a finesse team. 

I just find it funny that Stefanski is running his team the same way Zimmer started here and people love Stefanski but hate Zimmer.  It's odd too because Stefanski ran off his best WR (Odell) because he couldn't get him the ball enough...  seems eerily similar to our own Diggs situation but Stefanski doesn't get blamed at all but Zimmer is a dinosaur who doesn't know offense...  :-)

@minny65 said:
@Wetlander said:

Let me just clear this up, I wasn't criticizing Stefanski.  I think he's a very good young coach and has the Browns being competitive and playing well... something that they haven't been in a looooong time.  I just thought this was a good opportunity to point out some hypocrisy from our fans who are giving Stefanski the benefit of the doubt or lamenting that we didn't keep him over Zimmer.

I just find it funny that Stefanski is running his team the same way Zimmer started here and people love Stefanski but hate Zimmer.  It's odd too because Stefanski ran off his best WR (Odell) because he couldn't get him the ball enough...  seems eerily similar to our own Diggs situation but Stefanski doesn't get blamed at all but Zimmer is a dinosaur who doesn't know offense...  :-)
I think we all loved Zimmer his first few years but this is year 8 now for him.  Not sure where Stefanski will be in 6.5 more seasons and don't really care.  I care about our next Head Coach for next season.