Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riley to USC
If he stays at Oklahoma he becomes a regular fish in a big pond.   In the Big 12 he was a big fish in a small pond.  EVERY SINGLE YEAR at OU he had a legitimate path to the playoffs as evidenced by his making the playoffs 3 times and great bowl games the other two times.   Cotton and projected Alamo this year.  He goes to USC and he is back to being the big fish in the little pond.  I don't blame him a bit.   Kelly going to LSU and possibly taking his DC with him is problematic for us Iowa State fans.  Top two candidates are Matt Campbell and Fickell from Cincinnati.  OU did not tell Riley they were going to the SEC as he was blind sided by the move.  Stupid move for both OU and Texas IMO.  

SEC football competition and living in Baton Rouge vs. PAC competition and living in SoCal

Makes a lot of sense to me, he can go rebuild one of the finest college programs in America and be a superstar in the process.  CA talent to work with and an easier path to the college football playoff annually.

He is making the most of an opportunity. USC has been irrelevant for a while now and if he can turn it around cool, if not he gets a big payday.

And, bang:  Oklahoma's top 2023 QB recruit decommits, switches to USC.

Malachi Nelson commitment: Five-star 2023 QB headed to USC - Sports Illustrated

As purplefaithful mentioned earlier, USC is a sleeping giant.  If Riley just gets the top SoCal recruits to stay home instead of running to Oregon, OSU (Stroud), Alabama (Bryant Young), etc., they're going to be back on top very quickly.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
How is the USC job better than OU? If the ultimate goal is the NFL, I don't get this move. 
He is far away from Alabama/SEC, easier access to recruits and better chance of signing the best plus life in SoCal is not too shabby

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
How is the USC job better than OU? If the ultimate goal is the NFL, I don't get this move. 
He is far away from Alabama/SEC, easier access to recruits and better chance of signing the best plus life in SoCal is not too shabby
SoCal > Norman, Oklahoma.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"mblack" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
SoCal > Norman, Oklahoma.

Not by much  =)