Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Sando Gets it Right on Zimmer
I just don’t believe that Zimmer is a blame everyone else
type of person.  I think it’s more that
they created a plan, and it’s incredibly obvious to him all the different ways
the players didn’t live up to the plan. 
It’s a lot more nebulous to try and figure out if the plan was too
ambitious or if they should have practiced a different way.

I think this is a case where people are mad and they want
someone to “take responsibility” (take the blame), but there’s probably nothing
a person can say that would change their mind. 
It’s not like he’s going to say, “Hey, we underprepared on the OLine and
I take full responsibility for it” and then everyone’s going to be like, “Wow,
what a breath of fresh air.  His honesty
has changed my desire to fire him”

Just remember, Zimmer hand picked that offensive staff.

Don't be surprised if OC's aren't interested in playing for Zimmer, he sure likes to level blame at the offense plenty.

First time coaches at OC, playcalling, O-line, and a first time QB Coach.  These are Zimmer's and Rick's picks for staff.  You think that's a Super Bowl caliber staff?

Quote: @pattersaur said:
It’s only one game, the sky isn’t falling, we aren’t as bad as we looked yesterday. I know all this. 

But for me here’s the bottom line:

If we aren’t competing for Super Bowls then what are doing? Just “being a wild card team” is a goal for young teams and young coaches. We’re old. Our coach is old. Zim, Kirk, Rick… this core has been here long enough that the goal of being a wild card team is frankly a joke. If we don’t think this regime can compete for a Super Bowl either this year or next year then you have to try to find people who can.

I will enjoy the games and root for the team regardless, but I yearn for more.
Pattersaur is correct, there is one question to answer:  with seven years of results from which to judge, do you believe Zimmer is a good enough coach to win a Super Bowl within the Vikings' current window.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@pattersaur said:
It’s only one game, the sky isn’t falling, we aren’t as bad as we looked yesterday. I know all this. 

If we aren’t competing for Super Bowls then what are doing? Just “being a wild card team” is a goal for young teams and young coaches. We’re old. Our coach is old. Zim, Kirk, Rick… this core has been here long enough that the goal of being a wild card team is frankly a joke. If we don’t think this regime can compete for a Super Bowl either this year or next year then you have to try to find people who can.

Pattersaur is correct, there is one question to answer:  with seven years of results from which to judge, do you believe Zimmer is a good enough coach to win a Super Bowl within the Vikings' current window.
No, can't win the Division never mind SB.  

@pattersaur said:

Nope.  Came to that conclusion after the drubbing the Eagles put on them

@pattersaur said:

Yes. Was he to blame for the poor focus and preparation in the opener? Yeah, I think so. Both can be true. It's one game guys. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@pattersaur said:

Yes. Was he to blame for the poor focus and preparation in the opener? Yeah, I think so. Both can be true. It's one game guys. 
Actually, it is seven years.  It’s important to note that all six head coaches who have more active tenure than Zimmer have won at least one Super Bowl. Four of the six have won their respective conference on multiple occasions (sorry, Sean Payton and John Harbaugh).

@MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@pattersaur said:

Actually, it is seven years.  It’s important to note that all six head coaches who have more active tenure than Zimmer have won at least one Super Bowl. Four of the six have won their respective conference on multiple occasions (sorry, Sean Payton and John Harbaugh).

I didn’t know this. Ouch.

@pattersaur said:

No. But I don't place the blame entirely on Zimmer. Even good coaches can't win with bad players. Bud Grant used to say " players make coaches". 
I like to think Zimmer has some input into free agent and draft picks, but it's the GM's responsibility.
This GM has done some good things but has a blind spot when it comes to Quarterbacks and offensive linemen.
While there have been some great players on the roster, there always seems to be critical weaknesses. A lack of solid lunch bucket starters and a large drop off in talent between starters and backups.
So while coaching seems to be an issue, I don't think it's the only issue.