Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Sando Gets it Right on Zimmer
4. The Vikings will be very, very interesting to watchI’ll be watching for two things from Minnesota: how coach Mike Zimmer balances his tendency to blame others with a coach’s duty to take responsibility, and how the offense performs with a shockingly inexperienced staff.
On the first point, Zimmer almost never seems to take the blame for team performance shortcomings.
Before the Vikings 27-24 overtime defeat in Cincinnati on Sunday, Zimmer dismissed fans’ concerns about his team’s defense, suggesting in remarks to the Minneapolis Star Tribune that “if you polled all the offensive coaches in the league, they would say that I’m still ahead of the curve.” Zimmer also suggested the Vikings nearly pulled off one of the “best coaching jobs there was” by winning seven games last season “with the group that we got” on the roster.
Notice the framing? Good coaching, not-as-good playing.
At halftime of the loss in Cincy, Fox reported that Zimmer thought quarterback Kirk Cousins held the ball too long in the first half. After the game, Zimmer noted that the Bengals succeeded in a key fourth-down situation even though the Vikings had practiced against that specific play.
This wasn’t a direct shot at the players, but the framing was familiar.
On the second point, Minnesota is a team with an outspoken and sometimes combative defensive-minded head coach, matched with a first-time offensive coordinator, first-time offensive line coach, first-time quarterbacks coach, no veteran backup quarterbacks and a rookie first-round left tackle who will miss at least the first three games of the season following surgery.
That combination, coupled with Zimmer’s tendency to speak his mind in ways that reflect poorly on others, could enable Zimmer’s most combustible instincts when the results are poor. And the results are going to be poor, in my view. Arizona, Seattle and Cleveland are next on the Vikings’ schedule. What could go wrong? Not the coaching, most likely.

Its an interesting take. I do think Zimmer rarely has a filter, but I've also heard him be hard on himself. He's extremely confident in his ability to coach up a D and his track record says that is true. Last year was a shit show of injuries on D. Epic. Sando doesn't understand that part. So yeah, Zimmer isn't being diplomatic, he's being real in his opinions as he sees it. Zimmer has also gotten rid of a lot of offensive coordinators, he should take heat for that. Ultimately the buck stops with him and he's not always great at saying that. But the dude has had some HORRIBLE luck as a Viking's coach. 

Zimmer is a Parcells disciple.  Parcells always said don’t talk about the pain, show me the baby, and that you are what your record says you are.

His seat should be very hot right now. [Image: 4fv9tbts31my.gif]

The sooner the Minnesota Vikings accept it is over with Mike Zimmer, the betterIt is not officially over, but it is over. The Mike Zimmer era of Minnesota Vikings football needs to come to an end after this season. If you want to be a Wild Card team and lose to the Cincinnati Bengals in overtime, what does that say? It says the Vikings need to blow this thing up and undergo a major rebuilding process. They have hit their ceiling under Zimmer, and we know it.
Even though Cincinnati could be a halfway decent team this year, that is all the Vikings will be under Zimmer going forward. His trademark defense is no longer among the best in football. Kirk Cousins continues to be a more expensive and lesser quarterback than Case Keenum was in that magical 2017 season. You can feel the tension in the building, no matter where you call home.
Ultimately, this was one of those losses where you just may not come back from. It is one Zac Taylor, Joe Burrow and the rest of the Bengals can build on, but how do you keep lying to yourself that you are a playoff contender if you are the Vikings after this? It has been a good ride, but it is one that is coming to an end. Zimmer may get to finish out the season, but this is his last season.

If we move on mid season, who replaces Zim?  Guether?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
If we move on mid season, who replaces Zim?  Guether?
Some assistant who will be a good soldier and tank it hard for draft position.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Its an interesting take. I do think Zimmer rarely has a filter, but I've also heard him be hard on himself. He's extremely confident in his ability to coach up a D and his track record says that is true. Last year was a shit show of injuries on D. Epic. Sando doesn't understand that part. So yeah, Zimmer isn't being diplomatic, he's being real in his opinions as he sees it. Zimmer has also gotten rid of a lot of offensive coordinators, he should take heat for that. Ultimately the buck stops with him and he's not always great at saying that. But the dude has had some HORRIBLE luck as a Viking's coach. 
Sorry Sticky, but I agree with Sando.  When the Vikes fail, it is always about the players failure to execute, not about him failing to get the players ready to execute.  I think about all the games under Zimmer where the Vikes are facing a rookie or first time QB and lost, that has to be on Zim.  It is like the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

It’s only one game, the sky isn’t falling, we aren’t as bad as we looked yesterday. I know all this. 

But for me here’s the bottom line:

If we aren’t competing for Super Bowls then what are doing? Just “being a wild card team” is a goal for young teams and young coaches. We’re old. Our coach is old. Zim, Kirk, Rick… this core has been here long enough that the goal of being a wild card team is frankly a joke. If we don’t think this regime can compete for a Super Bowl either this year or next year then you have to try to find people who can.

I will enjoy the games and root for the team regardless, but I yearn for more.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
It’s only one game, the sky isn’t falling, we aren’t as bad as we looked yesterday. I know all this. 

But for me here’s the bottom line:

If we aren’t competing for Super Bowls then what are doing? Just “being a wild card team” is a goal for young teams and young coaches. We’re old. Our coach is old. Zim, Kirk, Rick… this core has been here long enough that the goal of being a wild card team is frankly a joke. If we don’t think this regime can compete for a Super Bowl either this year or next year then you have to try to find people who can.

I will enjoy the games and root for the team regardless, but I yearn for more.
100%