Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff to Covid Reserve list
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
"I've been asked that a couple times and I know that'll be a question around the building a little bit," Kubiak said. "But I look at it this way — Ezra's a fine, young player. I think he's going to end up with about nine starts under his belt, which is very good. He's played really well for us. He's very athletic. I think Rick will sit down with Zim [coach Mike Zimmer] and we'll work through it and we'll decide what's best for the football team. But I think you've got a really good player and where he settles down, I think he's got a chance to settle down for a while. Been very pleased with Ezra, his work and the job [assistant offensive line coach] Phil [Rauscher] and [offensive line coach] Rick [Dennison] have done with him.
This will likely be the decision of the offseason. 

1. Keep Reiff at left tackle, Cleveland at RG. Expensive, but money already accounted for. Security. You know you're likely to get league-average and above from Reiff. Plus, it gives you a pretty good right guard, with only 1 position on offense (LG) remaining to fill in the offseason. But does it mean that Cleveland is now your long term RG? Kubiak: "Where he settles down, I think he's got a chance to settle down for a while." Maybe. 

2. Release Reiff and start Cleveland at LT. Saves about $12M--money that could come in handy at say, 3T, and puts Cleveland in what will likely be his long-term position. But who knows what you're going to get? It could add some serious uncertainty to the offense going into '21. And now you have to fill two position: LG and RG, creating three new question marks on a line that looked like it was ready to take a step forward. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"minny65" said:
I really don't think Reiff will give us any kind of deal on a restructure...again.  He is coming off his best year and has a shot at one last big LT contract which is not happening here.  I consider him to have played his last game as a Viking.  Over the years he has been lambasted by Viking fans and I always thought he was above average with stretches of great play and then crappy but overall not a weakness on a horrible OL.  It helps, even at LT, to have good Guard play next to you and he has horrendous help.  Now he has Dozier next to him.  If you put yourself in his shoes I would run from here.  
Not sure how he's played his last game, considering he's under contract for 2021.

Sure, the Vikings can release him and get about $12M in cap relief, but they don't really need that unless they intend to make some sort of huge splash in free agency. That's always possible, but if they need money, there are a half dozen better places to look for it (Rudy, Harry, Barr), considering Reiff just had the best year of his career. Hell, they might EXTEND him. Add another couple years to the deal and lower his '21 cap number. 

I don't understand the rest of your post. Despite restructuring to stay in Minnesota, knowing that Dozier is next to him, he's going to "run from here" despite being under contract and having his best year ever....because Dozier will be next to him next year, too? You really think Dozier will be back? He's not under contract and he certainly didn't earn an extension. 
Maybe because Reiff knows he will never get any OG next to him who is better than Dozier if he stays with this team.
I don't think he's that stupid, do you? 
Well, look who has he had next to him at LG since joining this team:

Nick Easton
Tom Compton
Pat Elflein
Dakota Dozier

Maybe, MAYBE, Nick Easton was better than Dozier. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
"I've been asked that a couple times and I know that'll be a question around the building a little bit," Kubiak said. "But I look at it this way — Ezra's a fine, young player. I think he's going to end up with about nine starts under his belt, which is very good. He's played really well for us. He's very athletic. I think Rick will sit down with Zim [coach Mike Zimmer] and we'll work through it and we'll decide what's best for the football team. But I think you've got a really good player and where he settles down, I think he's got a chance to settle down for a while. Been very pleased with Ezra, his work and the job [assistant offensive line coach] Phil [Rauscher] and [offensive line coach] Rick [Dennison] have done with him.

1. Keep Reiff at left tackle, Cleveland at RG. Expensive, but money already accounted for. Security. You know you're likely to get league-average and above from Reiff. Plus, it gives you a pretty good right guard, with only 1 position on offense (LG) remaining to fill in the offseason. But does it mean that Cleveland is now your long term RG? Kubiak: "Where he settles down, I think he's got a chance to settle down for a while." Maybe. 

2. Release Reiff and start Cleveland at LT. Saves about $12M--money that could come in handy at say, 3T, and puts Cleveland in what will likely be his long-term position. But who knows what you're going to get? It could add some serious uncertainty to the offense going into '21. And now you have to fill two position: LG and RG, creating three new question marks on a line that looked like it was ready to take a step forward. 
If you're spending the money on Cousins might as well spend the money to protect his backside. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

If you're spending the money on Cousins might as well spend the money to protect his backside. 
That's as good an argument as any. 

After playing every offensive snap all season, this game cost Riley a million dollar bonus, I believe...

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
After playing every offensive snap all season, this game cost Riley a million dollar bonus, I believe...
He hot one benchmark for 1 million,  I dont know if he made the other,  not likely considering how many offensive plays they had today and iirc his benchmark to make was 94% of the snaps on the season.