Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it with this team ffs
(Edited because MaroonBells told me to...kiddingSmile

Here is how I judge a HC.

1 -The coaches they hire to implement and develop your philosophy. 
2 -Coaching and developing the players the GM brings in.
3 -Consistency from all 3 units of a team.
4 -Consistency in player preparation/enthusiasm from game to each game
5 -Pre-game planning
6 -In-game planning and adjustments
7 -TO and clock management

Here is how I would grade Zimmer over the years.  Overall I think he was a very HC hire who turned a shit-show Defense into a TOP 5 almost instantly.  But I think his time has passed and it is time to move on to some more youthful philosophy.

Grades for his tenure not just now:

1 -The coaches they hire to implement and develop your philosophy:  The coaches they hire etc..   Zimmer does seem to usually bring in experienced coaches but it has not necessarily been a success (Turner comes to mind the most).  On the offensive side I think it has been very average at best.  ST's have been below average with our well noted kicker issues over the years and our ST coaches as well.  Pretty consistent on the Def side but Zimmer himself runs that show so whatever.  Grade C

2 -Coaching and developing the players the GM brings in:  This can be tricky because it depends on if you think the GM brought in the talent and how much say the HC had or didn't have.  But I like to be definitive in area's of responsibility and that credit/blame goes to the GM.  The buck stops there.  Overall, It seems to me that Zimmer has coached/developed those players pretty well without getting into too much details. I might even lean B+ on this one especially what you see with this draft class development.   Grade B

3 -Consistency from all 3 units of a team:  We have no consistency.  Whenever our Def is playing lights out our Off sucks and sometimes visa versa.  Then there is constant inconsistent ST's. Grade: D+/C

4 - Consistency in player preparation/enthusiasm from game to each game: We have no game to game consistency IMO.  Grade: C

5 -Pre-game planning.  Zimms pre-game planning (although I think he really does the Defense) seems to be sound.  But then you wonder over the years how much he handicapped the Offensive game planning so I bring a B down into the C+ range. Grade: C+

6 - In-game planning and adjustments: C+/B - We have all seen some excellent adjustments from our defense under Zimmers tenure.  But I think he interferes too much on the other side as mentioned above. Grade C+/B

7 - TO and clock management: Solid C from year 1 with no growth/improvement to now.  Grade: C

So, we all talk about if Cousin's is good enough to bring us a ring but what about Zimmer?  I don't think so.  He gets outcoached and out-schemed too much for my liking. He is maybe average game day.  But it is the consistent inconsistency (see what I did there) that is the most maddening from a Zimmer coached team.  I think we have had enough sample size to move on even though I like organizational consistency like the Steelers etc.  But you also have to know when it is time to move on.  

Quote: @minny65 said:

Coaching and developing the players the GM brings in.

B - this can be tricky because it depends on if you think the GM brought in the talent and how much say the HC had or didn't have.  But I like to be definitive in area's of responsibility and that credit/blame goes to the GM.  The buck stops there.  Overall, It seems to me that Zimmer has coached/developed those players pretty well without getting into too much details. I might even lean B+ on this one especially what you see with this draft class development.  

Interesting judgment method and overall I agree. But I want to dissect this item, on which you gave strong marks. Where do we see good development of players? I know you cited the most recent draft class, but I look at it from a multi-year perspective. Whatever success a player has in his rookie year is probably about half due to his physical skills and college program, and maybe half due to coach prep. But what about players improving over several years here? I see too many who never realized their potential: Trae Waynes, Makensie Alexander, Pat Elflein? Maybe it's too soon to dismiss Smith, Mattison, and Samia, but not sure any of them are any better than the day they were drafted. Maybe Treadwell was a draft misfire that can't be blamed on Zimmer. Smith, Rhodes, and Barr were high picks - but the only player picked later than round 3 who developed at all was Diggs, and we're on dubious ground to give Zimmer much credit there; there is not a single day 3 pick on this roster, despite having the most round 4+ picks in the league over his time here.

The only clear development prizes are Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@StickyBun said:
I'm not saying I've loved every move Zimmer has made, what I'm saying is THIS loss isn't on the coaching staff. Its what I've consistently said all day yesterday. 

Its fucking stupid to blame the coach when your kicker left 10 points on the field and the refs gifted a PI on a Hail Mary and 7 points. Want to blame Zimmer on other things and other game situations?? I'm on board. Cousins was pressured 24 times yesterday....Brady 3. 
 I think people just like him and give him a pass because he is a crusty salty old dude. 
Yes, that's what fans love: crust, salt and the smell of old man. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12341869]

The coaches they hire to implement and develop your philosophy. 
Coaching and developing the players the GM brings in.
Consistency from all 3 units of a team.
Consistency in player preparation/enthusiasm for each game
Pre-game planning
In-game planning and adjustments
TO and clock management

Here is how I would grade Zimmer over the years.  Overall I think he was a very HC hire who turned a shit-show Defense into a TOP 5 almost instantly.  But I think his time has passed and it is time to move on to some more youthful philosophy.

C - the coaches they hire etc..   Zimmer does seem to usually bring in experienced coaches but it has not necessarily been a success (Turner comes to mind the most).  On the offensive side I think it has been very average at best.  ST's have been below average with our well noted kicker issues over the years and our ST coaches as well.  Pretty consistent on the Def side but Zimmer himself runs that show so whatever.

B - this can be tricky because it depends on if you think the GM brought in the talent and how much say the HC had or didn't have.  But I like to be definitive in area's of responsibility and that credit/blame goes to the GM.  The buck stops there.  Overall, It seems to me that Zimmer has coached/developed those players pretty well without getting into too much details. I might even lean B+ on this one especially what you see with this draft class development.  

D+/C - We have no consistency.  Whenever our Def is playing lights out our Off sucks and sometimes visa versa.  Then there is constant inconsistent ST's.

C - We have no game to game consistency IMO

C+ - Zimms pre-game planning (although I think he really does the Defense) seems to be sound.  But then you wonder over the years how much he handicapped the Offensive game planning so I bring a B down into the C+ range.

C+/B - We have all seen some excellent adjustments from our defense under Zimmers tenure.  But I think he interferes too much on the other side.

C - solid C from year 1 with no growth/improvement

So, we all talk about if Cousin's is good enough to bring us a ring but what about Zimmer?  I don't think so.  He gets outcoached and out-schemed too much for my liking. He is maybe average game day.  But it is the consistent inconsistency (see what I did there) that is the most maddening from a Zimmer coached team.  I think we have had enough sample size to move on even though I like organizational consistency like the Steelers etc.  But you also have to know when it is time to move on.  
I agree with most. But this would be a lot easier to follow if you repeated each coaching criterion and used it as a bolded subhead at the start of each graded paragraph below.

(Edited because MaroonBells told me to...kiddingSmile

1 -The coaches they hire to implement and develop your philosophy. 
2 -Coaching and developing the players the GM brings in.
3 -Consistency from all 3 units of a team.
4 -Consistency in player preparation/enthusiasm from game to each game
5 -Pre-game planning
6 -In-game planning and adjustments
7 -TO and clock management

1 -The coaches they hire to implement and develop your philosophy:  The coaches they hire etc..   Zimmer does seem to usually bring in experienced coaches but it has not necessarily been a success (Turner comes to mind the most).  On the offensive side I think it has been very average at best.  ST's have been below average with our well noted kicker issues over the years and our ST coaches as well.  Pretty consistent on the Def side but Zimmer himself runs that show so whatever.  Grade C

2 -Coaching and developing the players the GM brings in:  This can be tricky because it depends on if you think the GM brought in the talent and how much say the HC had or didn't have.  But I like to be definitive in area's of responsibility and that credit/blame goes to the GM.  The buck stops there.  Overall, It seems to me that Zimmer has coached/developed those players pretty well without getting into too much details. I might even lean B+ on this one especially what you see with this draft class development.   Grade B

3 -Consistency from all 3 units of a team:  We have no consistency.  Whenever our Def is playing lights out our Off sucks and sometimes visa versa.  Then there is constant inconsistent ST's. Grade: D+/C

4 - Consistency in player preparation/enthusiasm from game to each game: We have no game to game consistency IMO.  Grade: C

5 -Pre-game planning.  Zimms pre-game planning (although I think he really does the Defense) seems to be sound.  But then you wonder over the years how much he handicapped the Offensive game planning so I bring a B down into the C+ range. Grade: C+

6 - In-game planning and adjustments: C+/B - We have all seen some excellent adjustments from our defense under Zimmers tenure.  But I think he interferes too much on the other side as mentioned above. Grade C+/B

7 - TO and clock management: Solid C from year 1 with no growth/improvement to now.  Grade: C

Edited version Smile