Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win some, lose some-draft order
Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
Interior line on both sides. Kirk is going to be the qb for 2 more years. 
currently 8 million over on cap for next year,  lots of free agents of our own to look at,  plus sign our rookies.  I dont see how the team will have anything left to make it worth keeping a mediocre QB once they get under the cap.   the rebuild has to start this offseason and that starts by shedding all back contracts starting with Cousins and Barr.
I am definately ready to move on from Kirk, i just dont see it unless they do blow it up. We are going to need a 3T and a LG if we dont. Im not much of a cap guy, but I could see 
a Fitz or Mariota fitting in as a stop gap.  Kirk can be a good enough QB in this system if we can get Hunter and Pierce back. 

Do we have the money to extend Reiff under any scenario?  I think that would be key 
we have no money,  as it stands right now the Vikings have to cut 8 million in salary just to get back to even for next year,  then they have to cut another 5 million (guessing here) to fit their rookies under the proposed cap,  plus they will have to cut some more if they hope to add any free agents (our own or from other teams)

best plan I can see is to cut Barr and Cousins with a june 1st designation (the june 1st keeps their 2022 dead cap money from coming due in 2021,  that will free up 21 million right there for next year and 35 million for 2022,  we will eat 10 million in dead cap both years from his prorated signing bonus though .... so that sucks.   Barr is a bit more involved since his comes with 3 additional years so next year cutting him would open up about 13 million with a 2.6 cap hit for 2021 an additional 13 million for 2022, but his cap hit will go up to 5.2 million for 2022 since his signing bonus from 2022 and 2023 would be due then,  still we are looking at freeing up about 56 million ( 36M net after dead cap)  from Cousins and an additional 26 million ( 18m net after cap)  in cap space from Barr over the next 2 years.   

They have to go even if it means we struggle again next year.  No way we want to be locked into that money for Cousins if we dont move on from him after this year.  or Barr, but at least Barrs doesnt have a guarantee trigger after this season.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
currently 8 million over on cap for next year,  lots of free agents of our own to look at,  plus sign our rookies.  I dont see how the team will have anything left to make it worth keeping a mediocre QB once they get under the cap.   the rebuild has to start this offseason and that starts by shedding all back contracts starting with Cousins and Barr.
I am definately ready to move on from Kirk, i just dont see it unless they do blow it up. We are going to need a 3T and a LG if we dont. Im not much of a cap guy, but I could see 
a Fitz or Mariota fitting in as a stop gap.  Kirk can be a good enough QB in this system if we can get Hunter and Pierce back. 

Do we have the money to extend Reiff under any scenario?  I think that would be key 
we have no money,  as it stands right now the Vikings have to cut 8 million in salary just to get back to even for next year,  then they have to cut another 5 million (guessing here) to fit their rookies under the proposed cap,  plus they will have to cut some more if they hope to add any free agents (our own or from other teams)

best plan I can see is to cut Barr and Cousins with a june 1st designation (the june 1st keeps their 2022 dead cap money from coming due in 2021,  that will free up 21 million right there for next year and 35 million for 2022,  we will eat 10 million in dead cap both years from his prorated signing bonus though .... so that sucks.   Barr is a bit more involved since his comes with 3 additional years so next year cutting him would open up about 13 million with a 2.6 cap hit for 2021 an additional 13 million for 2022, but his cap hit will go up to 5.2 million for 2022 since his signing bonus from 2022 and 2023 would be due then,  still we are looking at freeing up about 56 million ( 36M net after dead cap)  from Cousins and an additional 26 million ( 18m net after cap)  in cap space from Barr over the next 2 years.   

They have to go even if it means we struggle again next year.  No way we want to be locked into that money for Cousins if we dont move on from him after this year.  or Barr, but at least Barrs doesnt have a guarantee trigger after this season.
Good stuff Jimmy.  I think the most likely scenario is they stay the course at least one more year(likely 2)  and hope to be competitive. Z, Kubes and RS have enough equity with ownership I would think. At that point if the needle is not trending up significantly, you definately move on from all 3, with Speilman having some chance of staying due to his recent talent acquistions. And that is even dependent on Speilly finding a QBOTF. 

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:

Good stuff Jimmy.  I think the most likely scenario is they stay the course at least one more year(likely 2)  and hope to be competitive. Z, Kubes and RS have enough equity with ownership I would think. At that point if the needle is not trending up significantly, you definately move on from all 3, with Speilman having some chance of staying due to his recent talent acquistions. And that is even dependent on Speilly finding a QBOTF. 
if they stay with Cousins for the next 2 years,   which is what it will be if they dont walk away after this season due to his trigger guaranteeing 2022 after this year,  they wont have the money to rebuild the OL and DL as it will take more than a couple good drafts,  also I would want a situation where by late next year or 2022 that we could be starting to get our rookie QB some quality reps in practice and games, if you have a 45 million dollar QB you dont but him on the bench just to get the kid experience.