Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Really Want Trevor Lawrence....(not for the squeamish!)
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
So to make this simple. I wouldnt do the trade now because nobody knows where teams would be. 

But if you told me we could package our #1 and Jefferson for Lawrence I’m taking that deal 100 out of 100 times. 

Look how Erin State Farm Rodgers makes undrafted WRs look. A great QB makes everyone around them look better. 
You're assuming Lawrence is a great QB along the lines of Aaron Rodgers, who went 24th overall, by the way...and not Alex Smith, who went 1st overall that same year, or any number of 1st overall QBs like Carr, Stafford, Luck, Newton, Bradford, Vick, Goff, Winston, etc. 

Now, Lawrence look like a pretty solid bet, but I find it interesting that among the highest rated QBs in the NFL right now (Wilson, Mahomes, Tannehill, Brady, Rodgers, Carr, Allen) most went on day two or beyond and not a single one was a 1st overall pick, or even the 1st QB taken in his draft. 

Don't know why that is, it just is. 

Quote: @"Carl Knowles" said:
The Chiefs traded the No. 27 overall pick, a third-round pick and their 2018 first-round selection to the Bills to move up to No. 10 to select Mahomes.

Depending on how far down the Vikings are,... a third-round, a forth-round and a 2022 first-round pick could get them up to pick #1 or #2 also depending on if a dance partner is up there. Bengals, Dolphins, and Giants could all be dance partners if one of them is higher than the Vikings. I'm not sure if you can 100% rule out the Jets and Atlanta as trade partners.

The question isn't the price,... the question is does Spielman think he needs a QB?? I think he still has faith in Cousins?
 The Salary cap the next 3? years is somewhere between 175 mil and 198 mil.

2018 Salary cap was 177.

The ramifications from all this will change rosters and UFA period, especially in 2021.   

More teams will have more desperate needs than normal offseasons.  IMO teams will prefer to use  the less expensive route of drafting players to fill their roster.

Consequently,  I believe  the cost of moving up in this draft is going to be greater than   compensation in past years, like what KC did to get Mahommes in 2018. 

No, and simply because we have no idea what Lawrence will do in the NFL. Lots of QBs are sure things. At a certain point, if he falls to us, all the better. But let's not pull something like a Herschel Walker again and give up what could be an amazing young guy on our roster. (I know the similarities don't really add up since Walker was "proven" at the time. But Lawrence is a bigger gamble.)

Only after 6 games, I think we know JJ has a ton of potential to be a top 10 WR in this league for years. Combine him with Thielen and - considering Thielen's age - we'll have a scary WR tandem for another 5 years. Go elsewhere for a QB if Lawrence doesn't work out. And it probably won't.  

I don't see us pulling this or any other trade to get Lawrence and he won't wear purple unless the season breaks out in a way that put the #1 overall pick in our hands. I don't trust Justin Fields and really think the Vikings should have their sights on Trey Lance. He has the potential to be a fantastic quarterback, and as a Minnesota kid he could really help boost fan interest after what looks like it will be a terrible season. But the Vikings still need to get around #5 overall for Lance, maybe even #3.
Tanking for TrevorLosing for Lance!!

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
I don't see us pulling this or any other trade to get Lawrence and he won't wear purple unless the season breaks out in a way that put the #1 overall pick in our hands. I don't trust Justin Fields and really think the Vikings should have their sights on Trey Lance. He has the potential to be a fantastic quarterback, and as a Minnesota kid he could really help boost fan interest after what looks like it will be a terrible season. But the Vikings still need to get around #5 overall for Lance, maybe even #3.
Tanking for TrevorLosing for Lance!!
Not enough games to be comfortable with a guy from a small HS and a small college.  His 1 year numbers are impressive,  but opposing coaches really didn't have much on him to plan for,  and its not like he was playing against future NFL players or coaches.

Officially on the Zach Wilson bandwagon.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
Officially on the Zach Wilson bandwagon.
I think this is the kid that is going to gain the most by playing this year. Give credit to Carl, this is his guy. That injury he had last season obviously affected him worse than most thought. He's got a nice arm.

Not only is this a great post, but a very accurate one too. Now, add Dalvin Cook to this scenario and really load up on the draft picks. Maybe a 1 and a 3 to some team that needs a back.