Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What in the name of long-ball is going on?
Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
So is this all cap related?

Or is this all an attempt to go into next years draft with a nuke arsenal The Soviets would be envious of?

Or both?
Both. Vikings thought that Hunter and Yannick together would be a total greater than the sum of its parts. Synergy. Game changing. Without Hunter on the other side and no pressure from the 3T, Yannick is just a double-teamed, ineffective cap drain.

It will be interesting to see what they do next. They currently have no 2nd, but two 3rds and three 4ths. Those picks, combined with a bottom 10 finish could put the Vikings in striking position for one of the top three QBs. 

I agree with you.
Just for reference, in 2017 Chicago traded two 3rds and a 4th in order to move up from #3 to #2 to take Trubisky.
So right now we might have enough to move up one spot, with minimal impact on future drafts beyond 2021. If we wind up with say, #9 overall, then we're going to need to include a LOT more in order to crack top 3 or 5. Are fans willing to ship out future firsts? I think so. Is the Vikings org? TBD.

I hope you have not invoked the Trubisky curse on our next Draft.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Or is this all an attempt to go into next years draft with a nuke arsenal The Soviets would be envious of?

Or both?
Both. Vikings thought that Hunter and Yannick together would be a total greater than the sum of its parts. Synergy. Game changing. Without Hunter on the other side and no pressure from the 3T, Yannick is just a double-teamed, ineffective cap drain.

It will be interesting to see what they do next. They currently have no 2nd, but two 3rds and three 4ths. Those picks, combined with a bottom 10 finish could put the Vikings in striking position for one of the top three QBs. 

I agree with you.
Just for reference, in 2017 Chicago traded two 3rds and a 4th in order to move up from #3 to #2 to take Trubisky.
So right now we might have enough to move up one spot, with minimal impact on future drafts beyond 2021. If we wind up with say, #9 overall, then we're going to need to include a LOT more in order to crack top 3 or 5. Are fans willing to ship out future firsts? I think so. Is the Vikings org? TBD.
Yeah, that is depressing. The cost to move up even just one or two spots near the top of the draft is just debilitating. You can limit that pain by continuing to lose. 

Vikings have more ammo though. They have a few high-priced but aging chips whose departure is not really going to hurt us much. Reiff, Rudy, Thielen, Harry...and there are also a couple of young players who would bring a lot more we could also consider (Hunter, Hughes), thought I doubt we'll see that kind of fire sale. That would be a full-stop rebuild, and I doubt the Vikings have any interest in that. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Or both?

I agree with you.
Yeah, that is depressing. The cost to move up even just one or two spots near the top of the draft is just debilitating. You can limit that pain by continuing to lose. 

Vikings have more ammo though. They have a few high-priced but aging chips whose departure is not really going to hurt us much. Reiff, Rudy, Thielen, Harry...and there are also a couple of young players who would bring a lot more we could also consider (Hunter, Hughes), thought I doubt we'll see that kind of fire sale. That would be a full-stop rebuild, and I doubt the Vikings have any interest in that. 

Hunter and Hughes - do you think their value is high given both have injuries that could be career-threatening? I fear we could trade Hunter now for far too little, then see him recover with another team.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Or both?

I agree with you.

Hunter and Hughes - do you think their value is high given both have injuries that could be career-threatening? I fear we could trade Hunter now for far too little, then see him recover with another team.

Just mentioning Hunter as a high-end chip to play. I seriously doubt we would trade him with Yannick gone. And certainly not in a year where his value is compromised by injury. Same with Barr. And that's the sad one. We really could've gotten something for Barr from a playoff team. 

Are you saying the Great trubisky is available.

Yes the Vikings have picks and pieces they can deal.  And while they might land a pick at the top of the draft, my money is on them landing a dozen or so 7th rounders, 6 of whom will be db's.