Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What in the name of long-ball is going on?
So is this all cap related?

Or is this all an attempt to go into next years draft with a nuke arsenal The Soviets would be envious of?

Or both?

yes

[Image: xtzuplce3len.gif]
It’s a fire sale...  Wink 

[Image: cqxhkimnopfr.gif]

The Wilfs to Spielman. Get back in there and sell

[Image: kik2qq0kcwav.jpg]

I think the Vikings realized they wouldn't be able to re-sign Yannick given the state of the team and the fact that he was going to be a FA after the season.  He was probably our most valuable asset that the Vikings would actually consider trading.

I'm not sure what the long game is...  but I hope it involves getting rid of Kirk and drafting a QB early.  We need to start over and find ourselves a franchise QB.  I feel like some of our OL issues would be solved with a more mobile QB.  Nice thing is...  all three of the top QBs in this coming draft are plenty mobile.

They are over 8 million over the cap for next year,  other teams will be as well.  Might as well get next year's cap straightened out now instead of waiting until every team is looking to move players for the same reason and flood the market and end up getting nothing in return.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
I think the Vikings realized they wouldn't be able to re-sign Yannick given the state of the team and the fact that he was going to be a FA after the season.  He was probably our most valuable asset that the Vikings would actually consider trading.

I'm not sure what the long game is...  but I hope it involves getting rid of Kirk and drafting a QB early.  We need to start over and find ourselves a franchise QB.  I feel like some of our OL issues would be solved with a more mobile QB.  Nice thing is...  all three of the top QBs in this coming draft are plenty mobile.
There's a long game?  All off-season it was we're gonna win now, extension extension trade, go directly to cap hell, do not pass go do not collect $200.  Now it's whoops, fire sale? 

The best part of Spielman's meandering press interview yesterday, aside from the hilarious assertion that they are still "competing" for the division or maybe a participation trophy, was the mention that he speaks to the Wilfs every day and they are very supportive.

How reassuring to know that ownership has faith in a guy who's had the job umpteen years and is stepping in shit up to his neck right now.  I'm sure we're in for a marvelous future.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

Or is this all an attempt to go into next years draft with a nuke arsenal The Soviets would be envious of?

Or both?
Both. Vikings thought that Hunter and Yannick together would be a total greater than the sum of its parts. Synergy. Game changing. Without Hunter on the other side and no pressure from the 3T, Yannick is just a double-teamed, ineffective cap drain.

It will be interesting to see what they do next. They currently have no 2nd, but two 3rds and three 4ths. Those picks, combined with a bottom 10 finish could put the Vikings in striking position for one of the top three QBs. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Or both?
Both. Vikings thought that Hunter and Yannick together would be a total greater than the sum of its parts. Synergy. Game changing. Without Hunter on the other side and no pressure from the 3T, Yannick is just a double-teamed, ineffective cap drain.

It will be interesting to see what they do next. They currently have no 2nd, but two 3rds and three 4ths. Those picks, combined with a bottom 10 finish could put the Vikings in striking position for one of the top three QBs. 

I agree with you.
Just for reference, in 2017 Chicago traded two 3rds and a 4th in order to move up from #3 to #2 to take Trubisky.
So right now we might have enough to move up one spot, with minimal impact on future drafts beyond 2021. If we wind up with say, #9 overall, then we're going to need to include a LOT more in order to crack top 3 or 5. Are fans willing to ship out future firsts? I think so. Is the Vikings org? TBD.