Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman on Ezra Cleveland: 'He'll be getting his opportunity here shortly'
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The question is when? Is it because Samia looked better last week? Elflein is probably still 2 weeks away from returning. 
You can't pull Samia after last week's performance. With him there's a very real learning curve upside. Not so Dozier. That's where Cleveland will go when he's ready. 

If Samia can put another couple of games together like Houston, Elflein may not get his job back. 
Mmmmmm.....Samia is still horribly graded by PFF. I think Elflein definitely gets his job back. I mean, I'd love to think Samia can get better but he'd have to get a LOT better and consistently so here soon. But who knows, I wish him the best. I'd like to see some OL draft picks pan out. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The question is when? Is it because Samia looked better last week? Elflein is probably still 2 weeks away from returning. 
You can't pull Samia after last week's performance. With him there's a very real learning curve upside. Not so Dozier. That's where Cleveland will go when he's ready. 

If Samia can put another couple of games together like Houston, Elflein may not get his job back. 
Mmmmmm.....Samia is still horribly graded by PFF. I think Elflein definitely gets his job back. I mean, I'd love to think Samia can get better but he'd have to get a LOT better and consistently so here soon. But who knows, I wish him the best. I'd like to see some OL draft picks pan out. 
Samia is still the lowest graded guard in football. But that terrible grade comes from his first two games, which were miserable. Bradbury's first couple of starts were miserable, too. He improved a lot over the course of the year. This year, he's one of the highest graded centers in football. Highest graded center in the NFL last week. Last week, Samia had a pretty respectable 65.2 pass block grade. I could be wrong, but I doubt Elflein has ever had a higher pass block grade. 

So we'll see. I'm hoping for a Bradbury-like learning curve improvement from Samia, but it could have just been scheme, opponent, etc. 

Samia will need to have a bunch of games like Houston to prove he has turned a corner. That was a very weak opponent, which we now know was on the brink of internal revolt. Yes, Bradbury needed some time to adjust to the NFL last year and is coming along now, but he was picked in the middle of round 1 and rated highly by virtually every draft scout. Samia slid in the draft (a bit at least), indicating other teams weren't impressed with his skills, and he was picked by a GM/team with a terrible track record at picking offensive linemen. I thought he was a likely cut at the end of training camp and he probably hung on partly due to the overall bad level of linemen and respect for being a recent draft pick. Hopefully I am wrong and he is going to keep his starting position and play well at it.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Samia will need to have a bunch of games like Houston to prove he has turned a corner. That was a very weak opponent, which we now know was on the brink of internal revolt. Yes, Bradbury needed some time to adjust to the NFL last year and is coming along now, but he was picked in the middle of round 1 and rated highly by virtually every draft scout. Samia slid in the draft (a bit at least), indicating other teams weren't impressed with his skills, and he was picked by a GM/team with a terrible track record at picking offensive linemen. I thought he was a likely cut at the end of training camp and he probably hung on partly due to the overall bad level of linemen and respect for being a recent draft pick. Hopefully I am wrong and he is going to keep his starting position and play well at it.
I think you're underrating the Houston pass rush. Revolt, yeah, but it's still an NFL opponent with 6 all pro seasons between JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus. But, yeah, of course we need to see more from Samia after one good game in three. 

But your characterization of what happened with Samia in the draft is a torturous stretch. A projected late 3rd rounder who went in the early 4th is hardly an indication of teams "unimpressed" before a drunk-drafting GM stumbles in and stops his slide.  LOL. Samia was generally thought to be at the end of the top 10 among interior linemen. He went 10th. Because of teams filling other needs between 82 and 114, we were able to good value with that pick, especially considering we traded down several times, get the guy we were targeting (Alexander Mattison) and also Samia by trading back up into the early 4th. 

Either way, it's way too early to say what kind of player he will be. 

We havent been good picking Offensive line for the most part but you have to give these recent picks some time. There are pro bowlers all across this league that did little to nothing their first year. Bradbury has been pretty solid since midyear last year and looks to be finding a nice groove. That reach block on 92 letting Mattison walk in was an All World Block. 

Samia has flashed some of the traits that made him a well regarded prospect. He has the strength, movement and temperment skills to be a solid player and has flashed in the run game at times, He has looked bad in pass pro until last week. His pass pro in college was his calling card, lets see what happens with the consistent reps he’s getting 

Agreed that it is too early. I found the "drunk-drafting GM" a very funny image! Not what I really think Spielman was doing, but he has had a history of stepping in front of a player that was sliding - Sharrif Floyd,Teddy Bridgewater, David Yankey, TJ Clemmings, Mackensie Alexander...I might even count Laquon Treadwell and Willie Beavers. Sometimes he gets value in those players that he could say he was "surprised they were still available", but the results are definitely mixed. When he picks a player that was sliding down the draft, I always wonder if they would have kept getting passed up. Treadwell, for example, might have lasted into the late 2nd round. Just speculation though.
But I don't hear you arguing that Spielman has a terrible track record selecting offensive linemen, so I will stand by my belief that a guy he picked in the 4th round is not especially likely to become very good.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Agreed that it is too early. I found the "drunk-drafting GM" a very funny image! Not what I really think Spielman was doing, but he has had a history of stepping in front of a player that was sliding - Sharrif Floyd,Teddy Bridgewater, David Yankey, TJ Clemmings, Mackensie Alexander...I might even count Laquon Treadwell and Willie Beavers. Sometimes he gets value in those players that he could say he was "surprised they were still available", but the results are definitely mixed. 
The results are mixed for EVERY GM. They don't call the draft a crapshoot for just Rick Spielman. In fact, if you compare them all, he holds up incredibly well (see Belichick comparison earlier in the thread). You mention Clemmings and Alexander. But you can also add Xavier Rhodes and Dalvin Cook and Eric Kendricks. The "slides" aren't all bad picks.

Pretty difficult to consider Floyd and Bridgewater bad picks.