Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to throw
Quote: @"Magnus10" said:
Would have to look at coaches film/all 22, but wonder if the route combos and pass concepts are leading to open receivers?    Or are the WRs and TEs simply not getting any separation?  Kubiaks comment today about trying to scheme more for help to get receivers  open is telling.

They’ve been running a lot of 3 WR sets, getting away from the 2 TE sets that were pretty successful last season...

Kirk Cousins isn’t the Vikings problem this season, Gary Kubiak is
The play-calling for the Minnesota Vikings has been atrocious this season.Prior to the start to the start of the current season, an impression was given that not much was going to change with the Minnesota Vikings offense despite the departure of offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski.
We were made to believe that the Vikings were pretty much already using Gary Kubiak’s offensive schemes and his transition to becoming the team’s new play-caller wouldn’t be very noticeable.
Well, two games into Minnesota’s 2020 season and this couldn’t be further from the truth. Since Kubiak has taken over as the play-caller this year, the Vikings have seen their offense take way too many steps in the wrong direction.

The Minnesota Vikings need to fix their play-calling quicklyMinnesota has only played two games this season, but it’s already clear that Kubiak is trying to force the team’s offense to do things that don’t fit with the personnel on the roster.

Dalvin Cook hasn’t been much of a factor, C.J. Ham has seen a decrease in his snaps, and the Vikings are running fewer plays with two tight ends out on the field. These are all things that helped Minnesota’s offense finish eighth in scoring last year.
Instead, Kubiak has been trying to center the Vikings offense around their passing attack. So far this season, 58 percent of Minnesota’s plays have come with them using 1-1 personnel, meaning there is one running back, one tight end, and three receivers on the field. In 2019, only 25 percent of the Vikings plays used this personnel grouping.

More at the link:

https://thevikingage.com/2020/09/23/kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-problem-gary-kubiak/

How the heck can they be getting away from 2 TE sets when between the 2 of em they have maybe 3 receptions in 2 games?

I figured they were keeping em in for max protection?

Kubiak was supposed to be a reason for success this season, so disappointing. 

We keep talking about possible HC candidates, someone should probably figure out who the next OC is before Zimmer fires again.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
How the heck can they be getting away from 2 TE sets when between the 2 of em they have maybe 3 receptions in 2 games?

I figured they were keeping em in for max protection?

Kubiak was supposed to be a reason for success this season, so disappointing. 
Well, this is part of the reason I'm not all in on tanking as of yet. We can't change our QB or our receivers or our line, but one or two adjustments made by the OC and the performance of all three can be totally different. 

colin kaepernick or his little sister would be an improvement

Kubiak takes the blame for Cousins' poor performanceThe Vikings' offensive coordinator said against the Colts his quarterback 'had no place to go with the ball.'Count Vikings offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak among those accepting a chunk of the blame for Kirk Cousins’ awful play during the Vikings’ 0-2 start this season.
“I’ve got to find some room for him is the best way to put it,” Kubiak said Thursday. “We had some plays last week where he had no place to go with the ball. Me sitting there looking at what we’re doing and saying, ‘OK we’ve got to get some people open in these situations vs. coverages.”
Last season Cousins ranked fourth in passer rating at 107.4. He currently weighs in at 34th — in a 32-team league — at 61.9.
Career-wise, Cousins completes 66.8% of his passes, second-best in NFL history behind Drew Brees (67.6%). This year, Cousins is completing 58.8% of his passes.
“We’ve had some plays that were very difficult on him,” Kubiak said. “Kirk is battling; he’s doing his part; he’s battling, studying, working hard, practicing hard. I take it personal that I’ve got to help him more, and I know his teammates need to as well. Finding space for him to make some plays with the ball.”
Kubiak questioned some of his schemes vs. the defenses he’s seen the first two weeks.
“When you look at things and say, ‘Well, we ran this route, did he have a place to go with the ball?’” he said. “It’s third-and-6, we ran this route, did he miss somebody or did we not have a place to go with the ball? As a coordinator, when you’re looking at those things and you feel like, hey, the kid had no place to go here or something, hell that’s personal."
https://www.startribune.com/kubiak-takes...572526681/

Playcalling has been a headscratcher at times, Kubiak definitely needs to go back to the drawing board.

I'm starting to wonder if any young HC candidate would want the Vikings job until they get Cousins and his contract off the Viking's books. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'm starting to wonder if any young HC candidate would want the Vikings job until they get Cousins and his contract off the Viking's books. 

Wouldn't they be more hesitant about playing for a HC with Zimmer's history of firing OCs?
EDIT: Never mind, I thought you said "OC candidate".