Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Draft+
(05-04-2024, 01:16 AM)Havoc Wrote: I actually disagree on JJM being the least polished of this group. He had the least experience, but as far as reading defenses and making smart decisions, I’d say he’s well ahead of some of the other guys. I think he’s more polished than people realize and definitely more polished than any 20 year old just turned 21 that I’ve seen.

Caleb Williams will start day one and he has a ways to go on reading defenses/coverages. Most high school QB’s are better at protecting the ball. The guy had over 30 fumbles if I remember right. JJ is light years ahead of him at stuff like this. Caleb can probably get by in his enormous talent, but he has a long way to go in several areas that are pretty important.

JJ has far superior mechanics and footwork as well as decision making compared to Drake Maye and I expect Drake will stand a fair chance of starting for the Pats.

I think it’s more likely that KOC’s offensive system is the bigger hurdle and not so much JJ’s development as a QB. It’s going to be super interesting to see how it goes throughout the summer.
JJM also took more snaps under Center than the other first round QBs.

(05-04-2024, 10:28 AM)JR44 Wrote: Agree that JJM is more advanced in terms of being able to make reads and play in a NFL style offense.  In regards to Williams, he is at another level than any other QB in this draft, I watched every snap of his two years, the turnover stats are misleading, they had one of the worst defenses and were always playing from behind, he often had to score every time they had the ball, so he had to force the play sometimes and take a lot of risks which led to the turnovers, also consider the fact they had no offensive line and he was usually running for his life as soon as he took a snap.  He will be a star day one.

I too watched all of Williams games this year and protecting the ball was very rare for him. He routinely carries it one handed and away from his body. He’s a NFL defenders dream. It doesn’t matter what level of football you are at, the way he completely ignores protecting the ball is a really bad habit that he needs to work hard to eliminate. He also has the bad habit of moving himself into pressure and bails out of the pocket with no pressure. That may be partially due to being down and wanting to wait for a big play, but it also does not translate to the NFL. These are big things he must do better. He gets away with it because his talent is incredible, but it will take more than that at the next level. 

Let’s put it this way: if he threw 30 picks instead of fumbles in the past two years would it be a big deal? 

His line was bad so there is a good caveat there. However, he will be under plenty of pressure in the NFL where players are much faster in recognition and more athletic. I’m not saying he’s a bad player by any stretch. I’m just pointing out he’s a significant work in progress.

(05-04-2024, 12:16 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I wont answer for @Sticky...My own opinion is that Darnold starts the regular regardless of TC, OTA, Pre-Season performance from the 21 year old. 

Viking Nation needs to pray Darnold stays healthy. 

How KOC handles his reps in August will be interesting to see. He will need reps being new to the system and all - KOC will need to strike a fine balance in how much he actually plays in the pre-season. It'll be more than KC would.

Yeah, I hope Darnold starts at LEAST the first half of the season.  Would love to give JJM the Mahomes treatment and have him sit his rookie year with a token start in the final week when we have a playoff spot locked up.

One thing working in JJM's favor though is Michigan used some of the same passing concepts as KOC.  He'll have a leg up learning the playbook and he seems like a bright, hard working kid.

Be nice to let him learn and be fully ready to hit the ground running in 2025 with an even more built up team around him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(05-04-2024, 01:40 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Yeah, I hope Darnold starts at LEAST the first half of the season.  Would love to give JJM the Mahomes treatment and have him sit his rookie year with a token start in the final week when we have a playoff spot locked up.

One thing working in JJM's favor though is Michigan used some of the same passing concepts as KOC.  He'll have a leg up learning the playbook and he seems like a bright, hard working kid.

Be nice to let him learn and be fully ready to hit the ground running in 2025 with an even more built up team around him.

IF JJ has a great pre-season, you can rest assured many will be calling for him to start. Same thing will happen as soon as Darnold has a bad game. 

But yah, see how Andy Reid and GB rear their QB's. 

ITs the way to go with these rooks...
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Johnny Manziel (yep) just said Sam Darnold can ball and he's in the perfect situation in Minnesota and watch out for Sammy McDarnold. So we have that.

(05-04-2024, 03:59 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Johnny Manziel (yep) just said Sam Darnold can ball and he's in the perfect situation in Minnesota and watch out for Sammy McDarnold. So we have that.

I'm not ready to believe Johnny Football about anything, but I think he's right here. I think Darnold is going to surprise a lot of people.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(05-05-2024, 09:43 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I'm not ready to believe Johnny Football about anything, but I think he's right here. I think Darnold is going to surprise a lot of people.

I gave this a "like"

Best thing for JJ is for Darnold to hold down the position for the entire season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-04-2024, 11:20 AM)PurplePastor Wrote: What if JJM is clearly the better QB in training camp and preseason? I don't know if that will be the case right away, but what if he learns the offense better and plays better and has more command? How do you not start him? And shouldn't you start him if that's the case?

I think if that's the case, we all crack open that bottle of Ripple we've been saving since the 70s and celebrate. But I still put him back in the box. Kansas City knew what they had in Mahomes his rookie year. His teammates raved about how he looked in practice. Still, they kept him on the bench. I hope the Vikings can show that kind of patience. 

And Mahomes was a year older than JJM. JJ just turned 21.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(05-05-2024, 10:27 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think if that's the case, we all crack open that bottle of Ripple we've been saving since the 70s and celebrate. But I still put him back in the box. Kansas City knew what they had in Mahomes his rookie year. His teammates raved about how he looked in practice. Still, they kept him on the bench. I hope the Vikings can show that kind of patience. 

And Mahomes was a year older than JJM. JJ just turned 21.

Its funny you mention that. I share our season tix seats with 3 others. We've had em since the Warren Moon days. Replicated the placement from the MEtrodome to USB. 

Anyways, in 98 we got that special bottle of scotch that was going to be opened after we beat the Falcons.

That bottle is still in the cabinet waiting to get popped-open. 

Hopefully one day b4 I meet my maker....
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post:

(05-04-2024, 12:16 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I wont answer for @Sticky...My own opinion is that Darnold starts the regular regardless of TC, OTA, Pre-Season performance from the 21 year old. 

Viking Nation needs to pray Darnold stays healthy. 

How KOC handles his reps in August will be interesting to see. He will need reps being new to the system and all - KOC will need to strike a fine balance in how much he actually plays in the pre-season. It'll be more than KC would.

It’s going to be a juggling act for all the QB’s to get a little playing time in the preseason.
Definitely want to get them in with your better linemen.