Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting to read/see more of a single narrative: Vikes moving up
(04-24-2024, 09:25 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: I look at it this way, can we all agree that regardless...Sam Darnold is probably our starter for most, if not all, of this upcoming season? If he sucks then theres a great chance we have a top 5 pick in 2025. Its cost mitigation. Where this year, it's being rumored we could give up to three 1st round picks in a scramble to move up and draft a quarterback. I dont think thats good business and believe there are some good prospects for 2025 and we could grab one without having to pay the bounty. Nevermind the fact that if Darnold does suck and we have a rookie that sits most of the year learning, we might end up with the #1 overall pick and are you okay giving that up to take a swing at the 4th or 5th QB in this draft? I know I wouldn't be

I think this draft has a lot of top end talent, it's much stronger than most years.  Now, out of the 6 guys being discussed as potential 1st or 2nd rounders, it's likely at least half of those guys are busts.  It wouldn't surprise me if Daniels busts in Washington because they have been a bad franchise for pretty much the last decade plus and haven't done a good job of setting up an environment for a rookie to be successful. Same with New England...  That team is bad and the only good stretch in their history was when Tom Brady was there. If they take Maye and have him start at any point this season, I don't think he'll develop into a franchise guy.

Flip that around though and if either of those guys goes to MN, we have the OL, weapons, and a smart offensive HC that can develop that QB.  I think both would have a better chance of being successful right away if we drafted them and it could be the difference in their career trajectory.

As to your point about picks, you're making my point Supa.  :-)  I'd rather Kwesi have less chances to fuck up our picks since O'Connell is going to be the one picking our QB.  Give em up so we can sign some FA guys where we've had better luck than Kwesi taking the Cines, Booths, and Asamoahs of the draft.

(04-24-2024, 10:01 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I think this draft has a lot of top end talent, it's much stronger than most years.  Now, out of the 6 guys being discussed as potential 1st or 2nd rounders, it's likely at least half of those guys are busts.  It wouldn't surprise me if Daniels busts in Washington because they have been a bad franchise for pretty much the last decade plus and haven't done a good job of setting up an environment for a rookie to be successful. Same with New England...  That team is bad and the only good stretch in their history was when Tom Brady was there. If they take Maye and have him start at any point this season, I don't think he'll develop into a franchise guy.

Flip that around though and if either of those guys goes to MN, we have the OL, weapons, and a smart offensive HC that can develop that QB.  I think both would have a better chance of being successful right away if we drafted them and it could be the difference in their career trajectory.

As to your point about picks, you're making my point Supa.  :-)  I'd rather Kwesi have less chances to fuck up our picks since O'Connell is going to be the one picking our QB.  Give em up so we can sign some FA guys where we've had better luck than Kwesi taking the Cines, Booths, and Asamoahs of the draft.

But you are talking about crippling our drafts for the next two years plus all so this rag tag front office can move up to take a swing on a quarterback, who like you said could very well be a bust, and they dont have the greatest draft record as is. That's called compounding your misery and absolutely torpedoing a franchise by not only moving up to draft a quarterback that's a bust, but also giving up the future draft assets to take that swing. If it played out that way, which is absolutely possible, than that 2025 pick is going to be a very, very high pick and that's what it would take to move up with New England or Arizona. That's not a risk this franchise or front office should be taking.

Also, not sure why so many think KOC is some quarterback savant when he's really never done anything to deserve that kind of title. Every quarterback we started after Cousins went down was trash and KOC never made adjustments or played to the strengths of the quarterbacks starting. Count me as skeptical that we "just get the pick right" because of the input of Kevin O'Connell.

(04-24-2024, 10:17 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: But you are talking about crippling our drafts for the next two years plus all so this rag tag front office can move up to take a swing on a quarterback, who like you said could very well be a bust, and they dont have the greatest draft record as is. That's called compounding your misery and absolutely torpedoing a franchise by not only moving up to draft a quarterback that's a bust, but also giving up the future draft assets to take that swing. If it played out that way, which is absolutely possible, than that 2025 pick is going to be a very, very high pick and that's what it would take to move up with New England or Arizona. That's not a risk this franchise or front office should be taking.

Also, not sure why so many think KOC is some quarterback savant when he's really never done anything to deserve that kind of title. Every quarterback we started after Cousins went down was trash and KOC never made adjustments or played to the strengths of the quarterbacks starting. Count me as skeptical that we "just get the pick right" because of the input of Kevin O'Connell.

Fuck them picks. If they go all in on a QB and cock it up, they’re all fired and the new regime will have a full assortment of picks after next year anyhow. 

At least they’d be taking a shot at being great plus having a shit ton of cap space next year will augment our lack of draft capital. 

This is better than “saving” picks and continuing to kick the QB can down the road or praying the 5/6/7th best QB prospect somehow pans out. This team does not compete for a chip without a really good QB, and this regime needs to build a contender or they know they’re fired.

Basically your plan is watching the team suck for multiple years until the front office and coaching staff get fired…but hey we kept those picks (that you, btw, don’t believe this regime is capable of capitalizing on)

(04-24-2024, 10:30 PM)CFIAvike Wrote: Fuck them picks. If they go all in on a QB and cock it up, they’re all fired and the new regime will have a full assortment of picks after next year anyhow. 

At least they’d be taking a shot at being great plus having a shit ton of cap space next year will augment our lack of draft capital. 

This is better than “saving” picks and continuing to kick the QB can down the road or praying the 5/6/7th best QB prospect somehow pans out. This team does not compete for a chip without a really good QB. 

Basically your plan is watching the team suck for multiple years until the front office and coaching staff get fired…but hey we kept those picks (that you, btw, don’t believe this regime is capable of capitalizing on)

I do not want to see this franchise give up a mint to take one swing at a quarterback. If one falls in our laps great, or we move up to a reasonable spot to take a quarterback, great. But nothing this front office or KOC has done to this point would lead a reasonable person to believe they know what the hell they are doing when it comes to drafting or developing quarterbacks. So why would anybody want to see us double down on pptentially drafting a bust by also trading away future draft capital to take that swing? To me it's absolutely nonsensical and hope it doesn't happen because these other teams are absolutely going to try to fuck us.

Seems like the 'truth' this morning is that NE won't be moved off of the #3 spot and Minnesota will hold tight and stick and pick. That might not be popular with many Viking's fans but it might be the best option. I think the cost of moving up is just too steep with the potential trade partner so desperately also needing a QB. All of that has a ton of logic to it. Waive goodbye to the dream of Maye.

from r/nfl

(04-25-2024, 04:27 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Seems like the 'truth' this morning is that NE won't be moved off of the #3 spot and Minnesota will hold tight and stick and pick. That might not be popular with many Viking's fans but it might be the best option. I think the cost of moving up is just too steep with the potential trade partner so desperately also needing a QB. All of that has a ton of logic to it. Waive goodbye to the dream of Maye.

from r/nfl

More and more reporting seemed to confirm this yesterday. If you're New England, you have a chance to take your next Franchise QB. They have a ton of cap space, and they have Brissett as their Sam Darnold while Maye sits and learns this year. They are desperate for a new Face of the Franchise and finally move on from Brady and BB. I think the Vikings are being smart and not overpaying. I would love to get Maye at #3, but too many wins after Cousins went down has made that unlikely. I guess we will see tonight. I'm fine with whatever they decide and I will trust KOC to pick the best QB that is available in a trade up, or if we stick and pick. I have read that they like Penix more than they are letting on so maybe that is the sneaky play KOC is waiting to pull the trigger on.

(04-25-2024, 05:10 AM)TBro Wrote: More and more reporting seemed to confirm this yesterday. If you're New England, you have a chance to take your next Franchise QB. They have a ton of cap space, and they have Brissett as their Sam Darnold while Maye sits and learns this year. They are desperate for a new Face of the Franchise and finally move on from Brady and BB. I think the Vikings are being smart and not overpaying. I would love to get Maye at #3, but too many wins after Cousins went down has made that unlikely. I guess we will see tonight. I'm fine with whatever they decide and I will trust KOC to pick the best QB that is available in a trade up, or if we stick and pick. I have read that they like Penix more than they are letting on so maybe that is the sneaky play KOC is waiting to pull the trigger on.

Agreed. I've been saying for awhile now I didn't believe moving up to #3 would happen despite all the smoke. Its a different situation when the team you are trying to trade with wants the same player you do at QB.....the comp would need to be stupid and ridiculous. Can you imagine if the fan roles were reversed and Minnesota was at #3 and possibly looking to trade down? Vikings fans would LOSE THEIR MINDS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(04-25-2024, 05:17 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Agreed. I've been saying for awhile now I didn't believe moving up to #3 would happen despite all the smoke. Its a different situation when the team you are trying to trade with wants the same player you do at QB.....the comp would need to be stupid and ridiculous. Can you imagine if the fan roles were reversed and Minnesota was at #3 and possibly looking to trade down? Vikings fans would LOSE THEIR MINDS.

Those are two different teams in two totally different positions. The Pats need everything. The Vikings need a QB. Still, the tea leaves in the last 24 hours do seem to suggest the Pats are staying at 3 and the Vikings will be sitting on pins and needles hoping JJ drops to 11. But like every draft, there is a point where the madness stops and you see a string of teams take the best players available. Looks like that will start at 4 this year.

(04-25-2024, 07:21 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Those are two different teams in two totally different positions. The Pats need everything. The Vikings need a QB. Still, the tea leaves in the last 24 hours do seem to suggest the Pats are staying at 3 and the Vikings will be sitting on pins and needles hoping JJ drops to 11. But like every draft, there is a point where the madness stops and you see a string of teams take the best players available. Looks like that will start at 4 this year.

Hope is not a plan son...

Vikings of course had to do their due dilligence regarding moving-up. I personally never thought it was realistic to move into top 3

Now if they like JJ and haVE a chance to get him at 4-8? Now my mindset shifts and my expectation is they F'ing land him.

They start pulling trade down shit like Geoffs mock , walk away w/out a QB? 

I'll lose my shit.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post: