Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Masochists only...
Blair Walsh on playoff miss with Vikings: ‘That kick’s not going to define me’
http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/14/ex-...of-career/

You have to have that mentality if you're Walsh. Honestly, I don't hold any ill will toward the guy. The playoff shank against Seattle was horrible, for sure. Brutal. But he made 3 other FGs that game in the freezing cold. Minnesota's offense was so freaking conservative. There was more to the story, but he certainly should have made it. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
You have to have that mentality if you're Walsh. Honestly, I don't hold any ill will toward the guy. The playoff shank against Seattle was horrible, for sure. Brutal. But he made 3 other FGs that game in the freezing cold. Minnesota's offense was so freaking conservative. There was more to the story, but he certainly should have made it. 
I'm sure Blair is a lovely person. I don't hold a grudge against him personally, just professionally lol!

And what was that more to the story? High, left snap again like 98?

Paid to do a job, didnt do it.  A hero in the elementary schools. Only in MN. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
I'm sure Blair is a lovely person. I don't hold a grudge against him personally, just professionally lol!

Why are kickers supposed to be perfect but every other positoon gets a pass?

How about in the real world?  Nobody else gets blasted for a bad day at work once in a while.

Should he have made the kick...yes,  does he deserve to be the most hated man by Vikings fans?  No way.  I just don't get the hatred people have for this kid.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:

Why are kickers supposed to be perfect but every other positoon gets a pass?

How about in the real world?  Nobody else gets blasted for a bad day at work once in a while.

Should he have made the kick...yes,  does he deserve to be the most hated man by Vikings fans?  No way.  I just don't get the hatred people have for this kid.
I don't either. And I was as mad as anyone when he missed that playoff FG. He's a 27 year old young man villified. Its silly, its a god damn game. You get mad, you move on with perspective. 

Right or wrong, when you F it up in pressure situations, you're going to be the Goat or Hero if you make the big play. Just like the QB, LT or RB that coughs-up the ball vs scoring a 60 yd td. 

These guys get paid millions, no lack of perspective from this fan - or pity for em when they urp-up on TV. 

Right or wrong, when you F it up in pressure situations, you're going to be the Goat or Hero if you make the big play. Just like the QB, LT or RB that coughs-up the ball vs scoring a 60 yd td. 

These guys get paid millions, no lack of perspective from this fan - or pity for em when they urp-up on TV. 
I hear you, but what they make has little to do with my empathy or lack thereof. Walsh is an earnest kid, he wanted to do well. He wasn't lazy, he worked hard at his craft. He cared. That's plenty enough for me to have empathy for the situation. It isn't pity. He choked. Obviously, goat or hero goes with being a NFL kicker. I do think there's a lack of perspective when the kid is only 27 years old and he's trying his best. He nailed 3 other FGs in that game.

Like I said, I was mad as fuck when it happened. But after some time, you realize they are people with feelings. He has parents and siblings. The fans rained shit down on the kid until he was cut. And I'm a pretty jaded fan right now, but that doesn't shut down my feelings as a fellow human being.

why do the fans lock in on that one fuck up in a game and hold that accountable.  

if he had missed one of the earlier kicks nobody would be talking about it anymore.  this obsession with one play defining a game.....years and years after the fact,  is really hard for me to understand as a fan.  if we want to define a game by one play.... why not just give each damn team 1 kick and say F*#K the other 59 minutes and call it a day.  our entire team fucked up that day in one way or another.... but several years later all we hear about is a kid missing a kick on a frozen field with a frozen football.

maybe our pain wouldnt be so severe if we concentrated on the some of the positives of our seasons instead of hanging onto the negative outcomes.  there are 31 teams that have their season end in a loss ( or at least with to many losses)  do we cry about 1 missed kick or 1 missed block or 1 dropped pass in those other games?  Hell if the team had played better in other games that year,  we wouldnt have been playing in those miserable conditions on wild card weekend,  lets go back and see who fucked up to even put us in that position.

"For Masochists Only...."  Isn't that synonymous with, "Hey! Vikings Fans!"?

It wasn't just one fuck up. That guy sucked. Period. 

Wish him well and all that but he's a head case and that goes back to his college days.