Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer has some tough calls to make...
XR:
Rhodes, 29, who is in his seventh season has clearly lost a step and that speed isn’t coming back. Rhodes is drawing penalties in part because he can’t keep up with many speedy wide receivers and, watching him from the press box on Sunday, he did not look like he was close to 100 percent.
How bad has it gotten? Rhodes is ranked 66th of 75 corners by PFF, giving up a 124.1 rating against. That is sixth worst in the league.
The question is what will Zimmer do during the bye week to try to fix the issues in the pass defense and with Rhodes in particular? Ideally, 2018 first-round pick Mike Hughes would take over the starting job from Rhodes, but Zimmer is likely worried that Hughes isn’t ready for that responsibility. Especially after Dallas’ Dak Prescott went after Hughes multiple times in Week 10.
Zimmer could attempt to get cornerback Holton Hill more playing time or use a package that includes safety Jayron Kearse in some situations, but continuing to play Rhodes as much as he did in the first 11 weeks isn’t working
PAT ELFLEIN

Elflein’s move from center to left guard hasn’t gone as well as the Vikings hoped when they drafted center Garrett Bradbury with the 18th pick in the first round last April. The Vikings’ line got off to a rough start but has appeared to make strides as the season’s progressed. Elflein, however, is 53rd out of 63 guards in pass blocking and has given up the 11th-most pressures allowed among guards, according to PFF.

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...et-a-pass/

Man just two years ago I was really excited about Elflein and thought he would be a fixture on our line for years to come.

Also, Rhodes has looked absolutely terrible this year.  Maybe the worst CB play that I've seen out of any of our corners for at least the past 3-4 years.  Hard to think that he just fell off the cliff that quickly and is done, but I don't know what else it could be.  A lingering injury that we haven't heard about maybe?

One of the weird trends this year is how often we'll have a corner in seemingly the right position, but they just don't make the play. If it was just Rhodes, I could chalk it up to him struggling, but Waynes, Hughes, and to a lesser extent Alexander have been guilty as well. Sometimes plays are 50/50 and the wrong side wins, but it seems like compared to recent years, our corners are losing contested balls more than they used to. I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's hurt our blitz packages too. Before we could line up in a double A gap look, play man on the receivers and have a reasonable chance of breaking up the play, but against Denver, our corners were being picked apart in those matchups. Some of it is one the pass rush too, particularly a lack of interior pass rush, which forces the corners to cover longer, but int he double A gap look, it was just down to our corners getting beat quickly. I hope there's a coaching/scheme fix for this, otherwise their investment of 3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder on corners is looking pretty bad right now and sadly, we'll likely end up spending another high pick on a corner because of cap considerations.

As for Elflein, he seemed like the right pick at the time. Had a good rookie season and then never got on track after being hurt. He seemed like he should have been a safe pick, but it's been frustrating.

Rhodes showed some signs of decline last year. They said he was "dinged up". I guess maybe that wasn't it. He's worse this year by quite a bit. Hope he can turn it around some, in the final stretch.

Elflein is starting to look like a bad pick, especially where he was drafted. They say it takes a couple years for a lineman to get good in the NFL. Maybe he will get there. Right now he isn't showing a lot of promise.

Elflein is a very good IOL backup. Might be a lower level starting C.  This pisses me off more that we passed on Will Hernandez, it set several things in motion that results in us investing a first  in another C 

Rhodes has to be let go in the offseason.  Elflien might actually turn things around.  I think we need to extend Waynes and maybe even Kirk to a more flexible longer contract to help open up some cap space.  

Rhodes might benefit from getting leaner in the off-season...  lose some of his bulk, focus on yoga to improve his flexibility and balance, and maybe that can help him age well as he gets closer and closer to his 30's. 

That said... a number of his negative plays this season are when he is beat by a step and either grabs the guy (penalty) or he recovers but can't get his head around to see the ball (just plays his man).  I think a lot of his struggles are technique related...  and it's something that the coaches have brought up for years...  Gray and Zimmer have mentioned bringing out the boxing gloves during practice so he can't grab WRs and other things.

Quote:

All kidding aside, some of these guys have to go.  Elflein may be depth but seeing him get pushed around likes he's on roller skates is embarrassing.  And Rhodes's best years are in the rearview mirror.  The Patriot's know when to let players go.  We need to do likewise.

It'll be interesting to see if Zimmer does anything at all. He seems intent on leaving Rhodes in the starting line up. But it's painfully obvious to everybody he can't do it anymore...

2 words:. Zulgad

Dude is the biggest downer ever.