Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gotta be a record number of teams needing QB this off season
I was just thinking about how many teams will be looking for a QB this off season.

It wasn't that long ago--maybe a year or two ago--when people were talking about how most NFL teams, for better or worse, had their QB of the future. Turns out it was for the worse. Much worse. A lot of 1st round QBs have fizzled out (Winston, Mariota, Newton, Rosen) and a few aging QBs have fallen off (Dalton, Flacco, Rivers). Brady? 

Definitely looking
Tampa has to be done with Winston.
Tennessee looks like they've seen enough of Mariota.
Bengals benched Dalton so he's done...at least in Cincy.
Dolphins. Rosen or Fitz? Yuck.
Chargers' Rivers has fallen off a cliff. And he's a free agent. 

Definitely thinking about it
Carolina. Talk in Carolina is that we may have seen the last of Newton.
Indy's Brissett has looked OK, but is he the future? They could be looking for Luck's replacement.
Saints have a decision to make with Brees and Teddy. Either way, with all these teams in need, Teddy is looking at a pretty sweet pay day.
Patriots. Just read an article about how Brady is no longer elite. Yes, probably the 10th such article I've read about Brady's pending demise in the last few years. Do they have his replacement in Stidham? Brady's a free agent, too. 
Jags. Do they stick with Foles? Minshew? 

Question marks
Bears. Probably too early for the Bears to give up on Trubisky, but it probably shouldn't be.
Denver has to give Drew Lock a chance but they're done with Flacco
Raiders. Hard to get a take on what Gruden thinks of Carr

Vikings 
A few weeks ago I thought the Vikings might be in this group. But compared to other teams, they're sitting pretty. We'll have to see how it all ends. 

The Titan's may already have a new QB...  Wink

It's a good list, but I would take a few out...

Definitely looking
Tennessee looks like they've seen enough of Mariota.

Indy's Brissett has looked OK, but is he the future? They could be looking for Luck's replacement.
Saints have a decision to make with Brees and Teddy. Either way, with all these teams in need, Teddy is looking at a pretty sweet pay day.
Patriots. Just read an article about how Brady is no longer elite. Yes, probably the 10th such article I've read about Brady's pending demise in the last few years. Do they have his replacement in Stidham? Brady's a free agent, too. 

Question marks
Bears. Probably too early for the Bears to give up on Trubisky, but it probably shouldn't be.

1) If the Raiders make the playoffs, I have a hard time seeing Gruden getting rid of Carr...  same in Indy...  word is they really like Brissett and his leadership qualities.  I don't think either of these teams will be looking for a new starter. 

2) Also, Tennessee may give Tannehill a long look...  he fizzled out in Miami, but the Titans are winning games with him at QB.  He's still young enough...  I think they keep him and move on from Mariota. 

3) The Jags just paid Foles a ton of money and will want to get a longer look at him.  Minshew showed some promise.  I think they are fine with both on the roster heading into next season.

4) I think all the speculation about Brady potentially leaving the Patriots after the season is just sports fodder.  He'll be a Patriot until he retires.  Same with Brees in New Orleans...  it'll either be Brees or if he retires...  Teddy.  I don't think the Saints are in the market next year.

5) I would move the Chargers to "definitely thinking about it"...  Rivers isn't playing well this season, but he's been a good QB for a long time...  in the end, I think he comes back on a short-term deal, but this could be a situation similar to when Brees was there.  Rivers will be a place holder until a newly drafted guy is ready.

6) Carolina seems ready to move on from Newton and Kyle Allen has turned into a pumpkin.  I would put Carolina in the Definitely Looking group.  They may lean more towards a FA though if they think they are a QB away from competing in the NFC South...  Teddy could be an option if Brees plays in 2020.

The rest I agree with... the Bengals and Dolphins seem like locks to look at a QB early in the draft.  Neither are close to competing for a Super Bowl and can take the long game with first year HC's entering their 2nd years.  Let them get there QBOTF and see what happens in a couple seasons.

A lot can happen in the next month (hopefully next couple months), but doesn't it seem that the Vikings' next QB discussion will be about an extension for Cousins?

If Brady is on the list.
How does Rogers not make it? Seeing how he is ranked 1 spot higher than Tom.

After week 11 NE has allowed 4 passing TD's and 5 rushing TD's. Has Tom even had to try this year?
4 of those 9 total TD's were allowed in 1 game!!!!!

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I was just thinking about how many teams will be looking for a QB this off season.

It wasn't that long ago--maybe a year or two ago--when people were talking about how most NFL teams, for better or worse, had their QB of the future. Turns out it was for the worse. Much worse. A lot of 1st round QBs have fizzled out (Winston, Mariota, Newton, Rosen) and a few aging QBs have fallen off (Dalton, Flacco, Rivers). Brady? 

Definitely looking
Tennessee looks like they've seen enough of Mariota. Is Tannehill the answer for them?

Indy's Brissett has looked OK, but is he the future? They could be looking for Luck's replacement. Brissett is at least a starter, maybe not long term.

Question marks
Bears. Probably too early for the Bears to give up on Trubisky, but it probably shouldn't be. I quoted this entire thing just to say, I hope they don't give up on him yet.

Vikings 
A few weeks ago I thought the Vikings might be in this group. But compared to other teams, they're sitting pretty. We'll have to see how it all ends. 

Oh, and Chicago doesn't have a 1st next year do they? 

Quote: @"holmanjp" said:
If Brady is on the list.
How does Rogers not make it? Seeing how he is ranked 1 spot higher than Tom.

After week 11 NE has allowed 4 passing TD's and 5 rushing TD's. Has Tom even had to try this year?
4 of those 9 total TD's were allowed in 1 game!!!!!
In a normal situation, both of those teams would be looking for QBs. But I think it's pretty clear that this will not be a normal off season. Nearly half the NFL will be looking for QBs, so the pickins will be slim. What's more, Brady is 42 and has looked like it recently. Rodgers is 35 and I haven't seen anything from him that could be considered age-related decline.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:

2) Also, Tennessee may give Tannehill a long look...  he fizzled out in Miami, but the Titans are winning games with him at QB.  He's still young enough...  I think they keep him and move on from Mariota. Tannehill is this year's Case Keenum. They probably won't have a choice but to stick with him. 

3) The Jags just paid Foles a ton of money and will want to get a longer look at him.  Minshew showed some promise.  I think they are fine with both on the roster heading into next season.  True, Foles contract puts them in a bad situation. But Foles has looked awful before and after injury. 

4) I think all the speculation about Brady potentially leaving the Patriots after the season is just sports fodder.  He'll be a Patriot until he retires.  No, Brady isn't going to play for another team. But there are decisions to be made by either him or the Pats, and probably THIS off season. Right now he's playing like a below average QB. Do you let him play as long as he wants just for auld lang syne?

I think this could be a watershed off season in the NFL. I could easily see Brady and Brees retire (Saints can't keep both Brees and Teddy) and several other teams giving up on former 1st rounders (Newton, Mariota, Winston, Rosen, Trubisky...all in one off season.

Tonight will be my first time seeing Brissett as a Colt...I think Indy is pretty happy with him...