Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time management
Wondering what others are thinking about Zimmer's decision to call a time out with 10 seconds left?  I see some pundits questioning the call.https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/11/vikings-tidbits-living-the-dream-kirk-cousins-tells-media-you-guys-can-be-as-hard-on-me-as-you-want/
Quote:That was when Vikings coach Mike Zimmer decided to call time out,
enabling the Broncos valuable time to run three more plays. All proved
to be incompletions but what was Zimmer thinking in stopping the clock?
How did that timeout enable them to run 3 more plays?  Was allen going to spike the ball?  I didn't get that feeling.  And it was just before the snap, so it wasn't like it gave them any extra time.  And Zimmer said he didn't think the Vikings were lined up correctly.   I applaud him for calling the TO to make sure his D was ready.  Not much room for second guessing, if the broncos scored there because we were out of position, then what?  Yeah, you don't want to stop the clock, but stopping the offense is more critical.

i was good with it at the time and remember noticing, even in my drunken state,  that he waited until they were set offensively to call it.  no problem at all with making sure you have what you want,  where you want it.

also, any thoughts on the crappy penalty they picked up on the FG?
Quote:The Broncos appeared to have a first down at the Vikings’ 6-yard line
in the second quarter when referee Clay Martin’s crew threw a flag for
illegal formation as kicker Brandon McManus drilled a 29-yard field goal
to give the Broncos a 20-0 lead.

Zimmer was livid about the flag and pointed to the scoreboard replay
as he yelled at the officials. Then something very odd happened. The
crew picked up the flag,  took away the first down and declared the
field goal good. In other words, the penalty hadn’t happened at all,
even though it was announced.

“I think maybe they looked up at the Jumbotron because it was very
clear there was nothing happening there,” Zimmer said. “I don’t think
they’re supposed to do that, but thank goodness he did.”
Seemed odd they would just pick up the flag after it was discussed and announced.  Did New York call in and fix it?  A new era if they did, good or bad.

Quote: @greediron said:
The Broncos appeared to have a first down at the Vikings’ 6-yard line

Seemed odd they would just pick up the flag after it was discussed and announced.  Did New York call in and fix it?  A new era if they did, good or bad.
i believe  they said that after it was announced what the flag was for that the back judge came in and said that the umpire had his head up his ass because it was clear that nobody was covering up the long snapper.  and then the referee looked into the umpires eyes and said YES, its clear from the shade of brown that umpire did indeed have his head up his ass to have thought he saw that on that play.  I dont know that NY ever got involved.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
The Broncos appeared to have a first down at the Vikings’ 6-yard line

i believe  they said that after it was announced what the flag was for that the back judge came in and said that the umpire had his head up his ass because it was clear that nobody was covering up the long snapper.  and then the referee looked into the umpires eyes and said YES, its clear from the shade of brown that umpire did indeed have his head up his ass to have thought he saw that on that play.  I dont know that NY ever got involved.
We will probably never know, but I have a feeling they were.
And I must have been too busy ranting to hear the explanation.  Thought there is no way the fix the call once it is called.

Time management is trying to make a 12 pack of Heineken last through a game like that!  Wink B)  

Quote: @Kentis said:
Time management is trying to make a 12 pack of Heineken last through a game like that!  Wink B)  
and focused breathing to keep the old ticker ticking.

The T.O. there was questionable, not necessarily awful, but questionable. I haven’t gone back to see if we came out in a different defensive alignment after the T.O. But I think it did give Denver an extra play. I don’t think Allen was quite ready to take the snap. Not sure the offense’s was entirely ready just yet either. It was 4 seconds per play at the end so saving 2 seconds would give them an extra play. ... And Kearse came up big at the end.

Zimmer also let him see how Denver was lined up.

i believe on the dumb ass flag that Zimmer thought that they looked at the big screen and knew it was BS even though they are not supposed.  i know we couldnt throw the red flag.

The one announcer was really questioning the call as they replayed it.  He said: “at least they got it right”.  I said “yes, but it shows you how bad these referees are in the NFL when they don’t even know what constitutes a penalty”’.  I just cannot fathom what the ref was seeing other than he saw the Viking cross the face of the center and try to shoot the gap on the centers left.  Really makes you question their ability to judge a subjective call like PI when ghe cant get a stationary call like covrring up the center correct.  
Could have been really embarrassing if the penalty wasnt called and Denver had scored a TD.  Of coarse the NFL has really been blowing a lot and still doesnt address it.  No reversals of PI even when it is obvious thet got it wrong.

Mike Zimmer on Jayron Kearse's play on Noah Fant on the final play of the game in the red zone: "I thought he played well. Actually on the fourth-and-1 play, Sendejo missed the tackle on the quarterback, and then he made the tackle. And then the last play of the game. So, yeah, we probably need to get him in there more."