Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMQB's Albert Breer: 'Why not us?' - Cousins
MINNESOTA’S ROLL CONTINUESThe headline in the Vikings’ 27–23 win over the Broncos on Sunday is that Minnesota became the first team in the last 100 league-wide tries to come back from a 20-point halftime deficit, and the first team to climb out of that big of a hole while scoring on every second-half possession in 40 years, which is crazy.
But as Kirk Cousins reflected on the win, he saw it more as another step for the team’s much-scrutinized passing offense under first-year coordinator Kevin Stefanski.
In the first half, Broncos coach Vic Fangio got the Vikings a little off-balance with replace rushing (switching coverage players and rushers), pressures and coverage disguise, while his team ran up a 20–0 lead. In doing so, he took Minnesota out of its comfort zone by taking away stud tailback Dalvin Cook early, then making it harder to lean on him later as the Vikings’ deficit grew. Which meant it’d be on Cousins and the passing attack to win the game.
So the Vikings went no-huddle to start the second half, Stefanski got more aggressive with his play calling, and before you knew it, it was a game again.
“There wasn’t an epiphany,” Cousins said. “We just put ourselves in a big hole and we’re going to have to make some adjustments. We still weren’t sure when we were talking in the locker room if we were going to have to go into a hurry-up offense mode or if we could, at least initially, run our offense from the first half. But right before we went out to start the first drive [of the second half], we decided a two-minute, hurry-up type mode was going to be needed.
“And that’s what we did, one play at a time. It helps when your defense only gives up three points in the second half. That makes a big difference, too. They give us a chance to get back in it.”
Here’s what followed in the second half …
• Nine plays, 75 yards, 3:31, touchdown.
• 18 plays, 70 yards, 5:58, touchdown.
• 3 plays, 62 yards, 0:35, touchdown.
• 5 plays, 67 yards, 2:14, touchdown.
Three of those were touchdown passes from Cousins—10 yards to Irv Smith, 54 yards to Stefon Diggs and 32 yards to Kyle Rudolph. Cook had a three-yard touchdown of his own, but for the most part he (26 rushing yards) and the Vikings’ run game (37 yards) were held in check. Meanwhile, Cousins went 17 of 23 for 261 yards in the second half.
That the Vikings showed that they could win without Cook gashing a defense, which is what’s happened all year, was significant, to Cousins at least.
“It’s a work in progress,” he said. “One game, we run for 200 yards and we have 10 pass attempts and another game we have almost 40 pass attempts and run for 37 yards. You have to kind of play the game that’s called and react to what’s going on. I think when you're 8–3 and you’re doing a lot of good things offensively—we’re running the football and converting third downs, and working in screens and explosives to Stefon Diggs—there’s a lot of things to be excited about and feel good about..
“But they don’t get any easier from here. We’ve got three divisional games against good football teams, and we have to go to Seattle and L.A. We’re going to get tested, I’ll put it that way.”
As Cousins watched the end of this one, though, he saw a defense with Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, Xavier Rhodes, Anthony Barr and a host of other vets close it out. Seeing how that experienced unit played together served as a reminder of what sort of opportunity is in front of this team.
“We understand we have a lot of pieces in place,” said Cousins. “Why not us?is kind of a thought that goes through your mind. Let’s get it done.There's a lot of good football teams. A lot of people feel really good about what they’re doing. Bottom line is, we’re 8–3, good and bad, we put ourselves in a position to be in the conversation here as we head into December.”
The Vikings, winners of seven of eight, actually don’t play again until December, with their bye followed by that trip to Seattle for a Monday nighter. We’ll find out more about the Vikings then. But Sunday seemed to be an indicator that we already know plenty.

This could be the type of win that really gets this team going in the final stretch.  We saw what was successful when a team can shut down our running game.  The hurry-up offense was clicking.  We came back from a 20-point deficit in one half of football.  I think the coaches and players learned a lot about themselves and what we need to do to be successful when teams take away our biggest strength on offense.

Cousins really impressed me in the 2nd half.  Even after getting sacked when we were trying to comeback, he threw a dagger to Tyler Conklin (of all people) to pick up a first down on 3rd and 14.  It's plays like that we tend to forget in games like these...  if we don't keep the chains moving on that drive, we don't make it 23-13 and don't have a chance to win it in the 4th quarter.

Huge win and I'm really starting to believe in Cousins.  If we can get healthy over the bye week, this team has a chance to make some noise in December and hopefully January/February.

I agree with Cousins...

All you can hope for come December is be healthy, try and get on a roll, be relevant. Give yourself a chance for a dance tix and maybe a home game or 2 if you're really good.

December starts out tough @ Seattle...Good news is we have 3 of 5 @ usb. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
This could be the type of win that really gets this team going in the final stretch.  We saw what was successful when a team can shut down our running game.  The hurry-up offense was clicking.  We came back from a 20-point deficit in one half of football.  I think the coaches and players learned a lot about themselves and what we need to do to be successful when teams take away our biggest strength on offense.

Cousins really impressed me in the 2nd half.  Even after getting sacked when we were trying to comeback, he threw a dagger to Tyler Conklin (of all people) to pick up a first down on 3rd and 14.  It's plays like that we tend to forget in games like these...  if we don't keep the chains moving on that drive, we don't make it 23-13 and don't have a chance to win it in the 4th quarter.

Huge win and I'm really starting to believe in Cousins.  If we can get healthy over the bye week, this team has a chance to make some noise in December and hopefully January/February.
Agreed.  Hope this was a character check for the team.  Time to buy in. 

What I don't like is Cousins and the play calling in the first half.  He was holding the ball, struggling to find an opening.  Stef better figure out this Fangio/Bear defense cuz against a better team, it won't end this way.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

What I don't like is Cousins and the play calling in the first half.  He was holding the ball, struggling to find an opening.  Stef better figure out this Fangio/Bear defense cuz against a better team, it won't end this way.
I think Zimmer needs to let them open up games the way they played the 2nd half,  this team seems to not get aggressive until its proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the run game is not working.  they tend to be trying to use the run to set up the pass again at times and its just doesnt always work and they need to flip the script sooner IMO.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

I think Zimmer needs to let them open up games the way they played the 2nd half,  this team seems to not get aggressive until its proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the run game is not working.  they tend to be trying to use the run to set up the pass again at times and its just doesnt always work and they need to flip the script sooner IMO.
Disagree on that.  We have had several games where we have come out passing and gotten up early.  I don't think Zim is messing with the offense.  I think Kubiak and Stef are the voices on offense that need to figure it out.  Cousins seems off some days.  KC, he was off all day.  Yesterday he wasn't trusting his reads and holding the ball.  Stef needs to find a way to get Cousins settled in early.  Go hurry up, some easy passes, something to settle him in.  part of that first half was on him.  The offense did nothing.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
MINNESOTA’S ROLL CONTINUESThe headline in the Vikings’ 27–23 win over the Broncos on Sunday is that Minnesota became the first team in the last 100 league-wide tries to come back from a 20-point halftime deficit
Anyone else find this incredibly hard to believe? Man, I guess if I'd known that I wouldn't have been so optimistic. 20 pts is not a huge deficit. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Disagree on that.  We have had several games where we have come out passing and gotten up early.  I don't think Zim is messing with the offense.  I think Kubiak and Stef are the voices on offense that need to figure it out.  Cousins seems off some days.  KC, he was off all day.  Yesterday he wasn't trusting his reads and holding the ball.  Stef needs to find a way to get Cousins settled in early.  Go hurry up, some easy passes, something to settle him in.  part of that first half was on him.  The offense did nothing.
without knowing who signs off on game plans,  we will have to disagree,  i dont know that Zimmer has gone back to being hands off after the way it bit him in the ass last year.  yes kubiak and stef put the plan together,  but I am willing to bet  that Zim gives them direction on how he wants a game to go or a defense attacked.

Cousins may or may not have been the problem,  without seeing the all 22 we dont know if he was forced to hold the ball or if he was just not seeing shit clearly.  I know the OL was dog shit again yesterday and that likely is something that was rolling around in his head as he was dropping back as well.  KC does a great job of keeping his eyes down field but even the best start sneaking a peak after getting knocked around early in games.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

without knowing who signs off on game plans,  we will have to disagree,  i dont know that Zimmer has gone back to being hands off after the way it bit him in the ass last year.  yes kubiak and stef put the plan together,  but I am willing to bet  that Zim gives them direction on how he wants a game to go or a defense attacked.

Cousins may or may not have been the problem,  without seeing the all 22 we dont know if he was forced to hold the ball or if he was just not seeing shit clearly.  I know the OL was dog shit again yesterday and that likely is something that was rolling around in his head as he was dropping back as well.  KC does a great job of keeping his eyes down field but even the best start sneaking a peak after getting knocked around early in games.
You think Zim is telling kubiak how to run an offense?  

The other thing that is quite obvious, we need Thielen back.  His presence opens up the field.  They can't double Diggs and AT and commit to stopping the run.