Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big was the coin toss?
If we had not won the coin toss and deferred would the Vikings been able to come back.  The obvious question would be does Denver keep the ball for six or seven minutes or does a three and out.

But would we have been able to build the momentum that pushed us through.  Would the players believed we could win with the third quarter half over?

Sendejo's INT was really the key, IMO. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Sendejo's INT was really the key, IMO. 
Yup, that and one pass deflection by EK in the first half told me they were still in in

Good question! Is Zim deferring ‘cause he thinks his D is superior? Or because Belicheck does it? 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Good question! Is Zim deferring ‘cause he thinks his D is superior? Or because Belicheck does it? 
Lots of teams do this. 
It’s mostly just because it gives you the chance to finish the half with
a score, and then put up another score after the half which can be a big
momentum boost.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Lots of teams do this. 
momentum boost.

Your right, but not long ago, not so much. It used to be done more in the college game, if I recall... Scoring a TD on the opening drive can be a big momentum boost as well!

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Lots of teams do this. 
momentum boost.

This is why i love to do it.  you don’t always get the score just before the half but if you do and then can score again, you really set the tone and how you can play he second half.  First of all, you may be able to pin your ears back and really go after their QB.  So many games come down to who has the ball at the end and flips the lead right at the end.  having a two score is huge in the fourth quarter as the game is winding down.

Secondly, you can make adjustments at half and that gets us back to the original post.  We know now that the Vikings debated about coming out with their original game plan.  Then at the last minute, they decided to go to the two minute warning.  If we had not scored right away on that first drive could we have come back.  If not deferred would we have even thought about going to the two minute hurry up and if we did was there time to score enough?

i thought we ruined our only chance when we jumped off sides on the punt or when we had set them up for a three and out.  i had figured if we were down by two scores in the fourth we would never catch them because they would milk the clock with the run and pass if needed on third down.