Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The Narrative On Cousins Being Re-Written?
Me, I need to see more...that historic 3 game run was something, but he has had similar streaks with Washington...

That fumble had a "here comes the real Kirk Cousins" feel to it, but he overcame that...

D is faltering, but we are coming away with wins...today add to that the run game was circa 2018...and we still won...

He's got a lot of games under his belt, but since the Bears game he's been a different guy...too much history as a Vikings fan to think anything other than the other shoe will drop, the clock will strike midnight, but begrudgingly, I think the arrow is pointing up...

He is who he is,  but next time he loses to a good team the same bull shit will be making headlines regardless of how many wins he and the team has In  the meantime.

Cousins is a bipolar girlfriend. Sometimes I'm petrified, the next minute I love him.

Today, he was great. Good quarterbacks have shitty periods, and that was him in the first half. Great quarterbacks come back and get hot when it matters. Cousins was both today, and as tough as I've been on him (I wanted him benched after the Bears game), he needs the credit for this. He didn't drop us 20 points into the hole before halftime. His offense certainly contributed to the defense being out there a lot, but ultimately it was that Zimmer D that shit the bed so horribly.

Cousins had a great day, with the asterisk being a slow start. Gotta be fair and acknowledge that.

Really?  The fumble was on Cousins?  I guess the failed double team by Reiff and Elflein that allowed the 300 plus lineman hit Cousins from behind gets a pass.
Sometimes I really do not understand what others see when they watch football.  Because, to me, when a larger human being (and I mean much much larger) hits you from behind, you usually will drop whatever you are holding.
Cousins first season in 2015 was basically his rookie year.  He had only 7 or 8 starts prior to that so in terms of starts he was a rookie.  His next two years there were years 2 and 3 in my book.
The Vikings got him entering his 4th season of starting experience.  Go check some other QBs and see how they did after 54 starts.
Cousins is playing really really well.  Last year, his OL coach passed on sadly, his OC was only in his 2nd season ever calling plays and then got canned after 13 games, Cook was out 6 of the first 8 games, and the offensive line was well below average.
He still put up 4,298 yards, completing 70% of his passes, with 30 TDs and 10 INTs.  He did have 9 fumbles with 2 of those being backward passes that went out of bounds and get charged as fumbles.  The unlucky part was the Vikings did not recover any of those fumbles.  If you check the stats of all QBs last year those INTs and fumbles were not unusual.
This year he is playing even better and already won NFL offensive player of the month.
I do not know who wrote the narrative about Cousins but whomever they are they sure had some unrealistic expectations.
He never was a QB to put the team on his back but he is very good.

The last 7 games are about as good as it gets...If this is how he can play most of the time on-going? Then yah, the narrative is being re-written. 

Games like today? Where Cook and the running-game are shut-down stone cold? He really carried the team, which has been a knock on him in the past. Fangio had a nice game plan coming-in here. 

I think he's our best QB since Favre. I agree with Sticky he's an easy person to like, hard worker and earnest.

I'm in the arrow-up mode with him. Hope it continues. There are some epic games coming-up, chance for him to really re-write the script - or reinforce old criticisms.

“You guys can be as hard on me as you want,’’ Cousins said after Sunday’s game. “I’m living a dream. I’m well compensated, and I’ve got to take the good with the bad, right? Welcome to maybe living life at a higher altitude than I used to. So that’s OK. … I’d like to set an example for my teammates of what it should look like to take blame and to point the finger at yourself and to own up.’’ 

Kirk Cousins is Mr. Comeback as Vikings rally for winThis was not your basic comeback. Cousins threw three second-half touchdown passes as the Vikings became the first team in NFL history to score a touchdown on every possession of the second half and rally to win after trailing by 20 points at halftime.
Cousins finished 29 of 35 passes for 319 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions as the Vikings overcome a 20-0 deficit to win, 27-23.
Had he made one big second-half mistake, his reputation would have taken another blindside hit, even if it was the Vikings’ poor defense and offensive line play that were most concerning. Instead, he received loud cheers as he walked to the elevator after the news conference, where he received hugs from friends and family members and then introduced himself to a few people he hadn’t met. Just another Midwestern guy wearing a flannel shirt at the end of a long workday.
“I think he deserves more credit and a pat on the back,’’ Stefon Diggs said. “As a quarterback — our quarterback — he led us today and he leads us every game. He’s playing very well, he fought us back into this game, made some great plays and throws.’’

Quarterbacks are judged by titles, numbers and situational play. Cousins is trending in the right direction. He is now two games over .500 as a starting quarterback for the first time in his career, at 42-40-1. He’s 16-10-1 as the Vikings’ starter. His team is 8-3 this year.
Cousins may well define or redefine himself in the coming weeks, when he has to play at Seattle and Los Angeles in prime time, and against three division opponents at U.S. Bank Stadium; Sunday he played with the cool and precision of a big-time quarterback.
On what might have been the play of the game, he bootlegged left on third-and-2 early in the fourth quarter, spotted Diggs running open deep, and hit him in stride for a 54-yard touchdown.
“That,’’ Cook said, “was a dime.’’
http://www.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-...565072452/

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-...ason_id=16

Do think Cousins is the only QB exposed to being hit by 300 lb lineman? Lead the league last year in fumbles lost and was top 5 the prior year. Not sure what you are watching, but Cousins give the ball up a lot in this situation.

He's an above average QB.  Will he ever be elite?  I don't know.  For a guy who is as into the playbook as he is, does virtual reality to speed his decision making, etc., you'd think he would at least be elite for not making stupid decisions.  But I can't say that that is true.  Against 8 and 9 men fronts in the first half, he threw nothing but short passes, getting the ball out quickly to covered receivers for little to no gain.  I believe his first 4 completions went for 7 yards.  The one shot he took was a completion to Diggs called back for a (bogus) holding call on Reif.  This is also at least the second time this year, when the defense obviously jumped offside and you have a free play, that Cousins threw a pass at or behind the line of scrimmage.  Holy hell, just chuck it up and hope the receiver can make a play or you get an interference call.

That said, the offensive game plan was atrocious and we held onto it for too long.  Cousins keeps talking about "playing the game that is called", but an elite QB gets his team out of bad plays.

After Diggs TD, they showed on the junbotron, Diggs went over to Cousins and slapped his thigh pads in excitement.   Cousins just nodded like “yeah”

Cousins was already back at work looking at the tablet.  

dont know what KC has to do to get
some appreciation.  he wasnt the one trying to run the ball against a good run defense.  

If Rodgers or Brady did what Cousins did in the 2nd half, the sports media would be going beyond ape shit over this. Half the stories are how the Broncos blew it or how bad the first half was for the Vikings. The game is 60 minutes long! I've never seen a game where the refs called the game at half time and went home. Yep, the Viking's D looked bad at times but Allen only threw for 240 yards, with a chunk of that on the last drive. They scored 20 points quickly than only scored 3 the rest of the game. The Viking's offense scored on every second half possession. The Vikings turned the ball over and had horrible penalties.

It was ugly early and for hardcore fans, it colors everything to some extent that happens afterwards. But this was the biggest comeback win in what, 40 years for Minnesota? It was a clutch win and we don't get those in Vikingland.