Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple things I've noticed regarding Kirk Cousins...
He seems to be learning from the mistakes he's made earlier this season.

Has anyone noticed the throwaways inside the red zone since that Green Bay game?

Also, against KC he did the ol' QB slide trying to pick up a first down on 3rd down.  The problem is, he came up a yard short because he slid too early. I'm sure the coaches told him to slide later or dive head first for the extra yards since that still counts as giving yourself up.  What does he do against Dallas when he took off upfield?  Finished the run with a dive head first.

It's just some things I've noticed where he made a glaring mistake one week and has corrected it pretty quickly.

Did he apologize to anyone after each mistake?  Hey, just asking?  Smile

Quote: @Wetlander said:

Has anyone noticed the throwaways inside the red zone since that Green Bay game?

Also, against KC he did the ol' QB slide trying to pick up a first down on 3rd down.  The problem is, he came up a yard short because he slid too early. I'm sure the coaches told him to slide later or dive head first for the extra yards since that still counts as giving yourself up.  What does he do against Dallas when he took off upfield?  Finished the run with a dive head first.

It's just some things I've noticed where he made a glaring mistake one week and has corrected it pretty quickly.
unless the rules have changed,   a head first slide doesnt get any protection like a feet first slide does,  if a QB comes head first he is free game.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:

unless the rules have changed,   a head first slide doesnt get any protection like a feet first slide does,  if a QB comes head first he is free game.
The announcers said otherwise after his mistake in KC.  Said qbs are protected even if they go headfirst.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:

The announcers said otherwise after his mistake in KC.  Said qbs are protected even if they go headfirst.
Looking it up,  the rule changed last year.... however feet first or head first the spot is the same,  what ever hits the ground first is when the player is down so its where the ball is when that happens.  I dont think I am seeing the refs rule this though,  there have been plenty of QBs go head first and get drilled without drawing a flag,  but the feet first slide with contact pulls one every time.  I am also seeing the ball spotted where the slide ends and not where the player was technically down by contact with the ground after "giving himself up".

Quote: @Wetlander said:

I notice the throw aways too.  I think in the GB game he probably just tried to put in the back part of the end zone but just under threw it.  Good to see him throwing it away more forcefully.
The slide in the KC game was disappointing for sure.  But I did not find it to be that bad.
They did punt the ball and pin the Chiefs at the 9 yard line.
The defense proceeded to allow a 16 play 85 yard drive that took 8:56 off the clock and thankfully only resulted in a FG.
Normally, with a defense like the Vikings, most would assume they could force a 3 and out after the other team is pinned down at the 9.  At the worst you expect a few first downs then punt.

Noticed a problem he seems to have corrected from last year,. Remember all the passes batted down? Seemed like there were at least a couple a game. It's not a thing this year at all. 

Do you recall Ponder being told to slide head first way back when? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/24/vikings-want-christian-ponder-to-slide-head-first/

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Noticed a problem he seems to have corrected from last year,. Remember all the passes batted down? Seemed like there were at least a couple a game. It's not a thing this year at all. 
Part of that was the offense as well.  We couldn't run, didn't have time to throw deep so teams knew we were going to make lots of quick passes.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Part of that was the offense as well.  We couldn't run, didn't have time to throw deep so teams knew we were going to make lots of quick passes.
KC also does a fair amount of of roll outs now off of the play action.  This entire offense is so different than the no identity mess "Flipper" was installing last season.  Zim did well making the moves needed for his new offense.