Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Football Focus
So for those of us that take PFF grades for not worth paper they are printed on (or bandwidth they occupy)  ... I found another reason to discount them.   I wasnt aware that Cris Collinworth owned it until it was just brought up by Leber on KFan.   They were talking about how he likes to quote those grades non stop in his game calling and Leber said well duh,  he own PFF.   So if the guy who is neck and neck with Buck for being the biggest scrote sucker in the game of NFL announcing is in charge of a metric,  I just have another reason to question the veracity of those results.
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

Had Prescott won the game for the Girlz,  I'm sure Chris would have got him and Zak a room.  He gushed over Prescott like a teenage girl all night.

Was listening to KFAN and just heard Leber say that as well. I too was unaware that Collinsworth was invested in PFF, but like you always took the PFF grades with a grain of salt (or maybe a block of salt)... Interesting nugget though.

Yeah, I knew that. Seems like a conflict of interest, but this is entertainment. To me its just a 'whatever'....

Quote: @"businessinsider.com" said:
According to The Wall Street Journal, a company called Pro Football Focus — which is run by the "Sunday Night Football" analyst Cris Collinsworth, who played wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals
Link

Quote: @mblack said:
@"businessinsider.com" said:
According to The Wall Street Journal, a company called Pro Football Focus — which is run by the "Sunday Night Football" analyst Cris Collinsworth, who played wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals
Link

"running backs are overpaid"    no shit,  didnt need a super computer to tell us that.   I know computers and AI are amazing,  but I still question how accurate they can be in dialing in on the human element of a fast paced sporting game like football with so many human variables that cant get programmed into an algorithm.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
So for those of us that take PFF grades for not worth paper they are printed on (or bandwidth they occupy)  ... I found another reason to discount them.   I wasnt aware that Cris Collinworth owned it until it was just brought up by Leber on KFan.   They were talking about how he likes to quote those grades non stop in his game calling and Leber said well duh,  he own PFF.   So if the guy who is neck and neck with Buck for being the biggest scrote sucker in the game of NFL announcing is in charge of a metric,  I just have another reason to question the veracity of those results.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Agree that it does seem to be a conflict of interest. 

Disagree on the other counts. PFF was a spectacular idea IMO. It was a much needed resource. I remember back in the day, while you could find countless resources for in-depth analysis, strengths, weaknesses, grades of any player available in the draft, there was virtually nothing on NFL players, free agents. So I like what they're doing. I just wish they'd do it better.

Also, and this is obviously just me, but I've never quite understood why folks get so upset at announcers. 

Maybe I'm in the minority but I like Collinsworth as a commentator and I find the PFF stuff interesting.
In general, announcers don't really annoy me though. The only one who I'm not a big fan of is... you guessed it... Joe Buck.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Interesting. I didn't know that. Agree that it does seem to be a conflict of interest. 

Disagree on the other counts. PFF was a spectacular idea IMO. It was a much needed resource. I remember back in the day, while you could find countless resources for in-depth analysis, strengths, weaknesses, grades of any player available in the draft, there was virtually nothing on NFL players, free agents. So I like what they're doing. I just wish they'd do it better.

Also, and this is obviously just me, but I've never quite understood why folks get so upset at announcers. 
i dont like Collinsworth because he doesnt do a for shit job of preparing for his games and he ends up spewing shit that is wrong during the game, and he is such a nut sucker to the media darlings.   if i wanted to hear somebody cheering for my teams opponents I would find an opposing teams feed online.  Its petty,  but he annoys the shit out of me... kind of like Charles Davis on Fox... he just says the dumbest shit.

as far as PFF,  I can see their value,  but I still question the accuracy of their product,   like I said,  to much human element that takes place in the moment to adequately score a players performance with limited knowledge of the game plans and plays called.

My thoughts on PFF:
  • I don't think you can say  "PFF grades for not worth paper they are printed on (or bandwidth they occupy)."  As of 2019, PFF provides customized data to all 32 NFL teams, 62 NCAA FBS teams, 4 CFL teams, national/regional media (i.e. Washington Post, The Athletic, ESPN) and sports agencies/agents.  Teams are not spending money on the data supplied if it is not worth the paper such information is printed on.
  • It is a tool, one of many that teams, newspapers and fans can use.  It is not the definitive tools just like QB rating is not the definitive measuring stick for QBs.  It is just one data point.  It gets criticized when people use it as a single data point.  It is simply one tool among many.
  • If Colinsworth thought it was a good investment, it is his money.  I highly doubt he is having the data manipulated in some way to benefit himself.  How does a manipulation of the data help his broadcasting career?   
  • He should however mention his ownership when he cites it during a broadcast because it is a subscription service.  In fact, it may violate FTC rules requiring disclosures.  Frankly, I don't recall him calling out PFF during the game (but I wasn't listening for those call outs either).