Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So many questions in Charlottesville...
Damn, the perp in the car is what 20 friggin years old? 

My opening question is did the city have enough police there to control what was clearly going to be a conflict? 

Not that 100 riot police could have stopped a guy in a car intent on killing people. Seems like a copycat of some of the terrorism in Paris and London, using cars or trucks for killing human beings. 

It's not Charlotte, it's Charlottesville in Virginia.

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
It's not Charlotte, it's Charlottesville in Virginia.
Fixed, tired this morning lol! 

charlottesville is a manifestation of the current political environment, born of uncompromising opposition and fueled by incindiery rhetoric. 

my take has been and remains that if we "normal" folks keep enabling this environment by action or inaction, we are only scratching the surface of what will be more and increasingly violent interactions between opposing sides

i see the roots of this begining with the 2000 election, the rise of the tea party and anti-government sentiment, the overreach of liberals to push through the ACA, rules changes in congress and currently the divisive populist tone. 

what exactly is #MAGA about?  the overriding theme appears to be further divide the populace by taking forceful and uncompromising action to push agenda's that have no root in unity or compromise

make no mistake brothers, if we comtinue down this path of winner take all and rely on the blame game, there is no civil outcome to be had.  i myself have crossed the line in this forum at times and said incitedul things to the opposition. it really was borne of frustration with unbending arguments from those i argued with.  we are going to have to choose our paths carefully, and our  demographic will play a vital part in where things go from here. 

I think the roots go much further back, but I agree with your last paragraph.  We are a part of the mess and how we interact definitely affects the outcome. 

I was no fan of Trump and saw some hints of incendiary tactics/language in his early campaign.  Once he was elected, I hoped he could do some good.   I think he has done some good, but it is often hidden or partially negated by his crassness and argumentative nature.

As to the current situation in Charlottesville, part of the responsibility is also on the media who love to whip up the anger and unhappiness for the sake of clicks/$s.  Nothing sells like anger and hatred.  They have been driving the divide for quite some time now and are a huge factor.

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
charlottesville is a manifestation of the current political environment, born of uncompromising opposition and fueled by incindiery rhetoric. 

my take has been and remains that if we "normal" folks keep enabling this environment by action or inaction, we are only scratching the surface of what will be more and increasingly violent interactions between opposing sides

i see the roots of this begining with the 2000 election, the rise of the tea party and anti-government sentiment, the overreach of liberals to push through the ACA, rules changes in congress and currently the divisive populist tone. 

what exactly is #MAGA about?  the overriding theme appears to be further divide the populace by taking forceful and uncompromising action to push agenda's that have no root in unity or compromise

make no mistake brothers, if we comtinue down this path of winner take all and rely on the blame game, there is no civil outcome to be had.  i myself have crossed the line in this forum at times and said incitedul things to the opposition. it really was borne of frustration with unbending arguments from those i argued with.  we are going to have to choose our paths carefully, and our  demographic will play a vital part in where things go from here. 
my biggest issue is when are people going to open their eyes to the realities of neither major party giving a shit about the average American worker and only care about keeping their voter base in line and their campaign contributors wealthy?  that the major media outlets make their bread through advertising and viewship,  without both they are out of business and are willing to do what ever it takes to keep us at odds with incendiary half truths that keep the masses tuned in and those advertising dollars flowing. ( is it out of the realm of possibility for major advertisers to actually be dictating spin to help their supported views and interests?) 

IMO its going to take people of similar social sects to call out the shit of their own,  we certainly know that if an outsider points a finger it will only be met with cries of racism or other such shit.  republican calling our republicans,  dems/dems,  races calling out their own races,  its going to take people cleaning their own houses instead of pointing out how shitty their neighbors is.

In a nut shell,  i dont see it getting better anytime soon,  and I think its going to take major blood shed to reunite the country for a common good of the majority.  pretty sad that 911 couldnt do it and that it will take something much bigger IMO to get the job done.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
I think the roots go much further back, but I agree with your last paragraph.  We are a part of the mess and how we interact definitely affects the outcome. 

I was no fan of Trump and saw some hints of incendiary tactics/language in his early campaign.  Once he was elected, I hoped he could do some good.   I think he has done some good, but it is often hidden or partially negated by his crassness and argumentative nature.

As to the current situation in Charlottesville, part of the responsibility is also on the media who love to whip up the anger and unhappiness for the sake of clicks/$s.  Nothing sells like anger and hatred.  They have been driving the divide for quite some time now and are a huge factor.
utter and complete bullshit.  the anger and unhappiness you mention was on full display and needed no "whipping up" by the media.  dont blame the messenger.  You "hoped he could do some good"?????? just exactly on what did you base that hope?  Surely not on his past statements and behavior. His father was arrested at a Klan rally.  He paid a huge fine for racist housing practices.  he was the instigator behind that birther bullshit.  He claimed not to know who David Duke was or what he stood for.  He called out the  "many sides" involved.  there is no other side.    if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
 i can think of nothing he has done but weaken this county in the eyes of the world and fuel the racial animus that has was waiting to step into the sun.  His senior advisors are Bannon, Gorka, and Miller.  lie down with dogs and wake up with fleas.  or ( to continue the animal metaphor) birds of a feather....

Quote: @"Caactorvike" said:
@"greediron" said:

utter and complete bullshit.  the anger and unhappiness you mention was on full display and needed no "whipping up" by the media.  dont blame the messenger.  You "hoped he could do some good"?????? just exactly on what did you base that hope?  Surely not on his past statements and behavior. His father was arrested at a Klan rally.  He paid a huge fine for racist housing practices.  he was the instigator behind that birther bullshit.  He claimed not to know who David Duke was or what he stood for.  He called out the  "many sides" involved.  there is no other side.    if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
 i can think of nothing he has done but weaken this county in the eyes of the world and fuel the racial animus that has was waiting to step into the sun.  His senior advisors are Bannon, Gorka, and Miller.  lie down with dogs and wake up with fleas.  or ( to continue the animal metaphor) birds of a feather....

You honestly believe the media is not in this for the money?  Here's a video that keeps getting taken down because it pretty much sums up what happened in Charlottesville.  The White Nationalist idiots were not all in the wrong.

Quote: @"Caactorvike" said:
@"greediron" said:

Yes,  because race relations had come so far in the previous 8 years...Trump fucks up enough on his own,  you don't need to lay issues on him that weren't his doing.

It wasn't long ago when these Nazi/White Nationalists would be largely ignored and laughed at.  Now people lose their minds over this stuff and people die.  A sad day in America.  We've lost our sense of humor, our perspective and our common sense.