Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's a passing league
But if you can run, you can win...

https://twitter.com/PaulCharchian/status...5000194049

Say all you want, but pound the rock, chew the clock, and keep your Defense rested

a passing fancy, more likely.  Smile

Or
If you can run at will, you can pass whenever you want.

I'd say the league is cyclical.  And now with so many defenses geared to stop the pass... running is coming back into vogue.  

It's also easier to run when you are playing with a lead.  I doubt the Vikings would have run the ball 16 times in a row last week if they weren't ahead and just trying to kill the clock. 
Has anyone noticed that the Vikings are now running a lot more out of passing sets and passing out of run formations? It used to be so easy to tell whether the Vikings were going to run or pass. It's not anymore.  We often now run with 3 WRs in the game and throw with 3 TEs in the game. We even throw on first downs now.  I wish the defense would take a cue from the offense and get a bit more creative. 

So, is Zimmer not out dated and was just way ahead of everyone else when he wanted more running?

Those teams also usually get out to leads and then run the ball. And Baltimore's run yardage comes from their QB. Its a little misleading, but I generally agree with it for the most part. 

Its simple, you have to be able to do both. 

What KS is doing lately is using the pass to set-up the run, not vica versa. Especially on first down. 

I luv it. We'll see how defenses ultimately adjust, but I wouldn't mess with it when the O is clicking like its been. 

Balanced offenses win. 

I pointed this out late last year...  everyone was going Gaga over the Rams offense, but their run percentage was over 45%. Same for the Saints and Patriots last year. 

Then you look at the top 5 pass heaviest teams and none of them made the playoffs in 2018.

I don't know if what the 49ers are doing is sustainable.  They are the clear outlier.  I have a feeling at some point they are going to need Jimmy G to win them a game and I don't know if he's capable of doing it.

It will be interesting to revisit this in December.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Balanced offenses win. 

I pointed this out late last year...  everyone was going Gaga over the Rams offense, but their run percentage was over 45%. Same for the Saints and Patriots last year. 

Then you look at the top 5 pass heaviest teams and none of them made the playoffs in 2018.

I don't know if what the 49ers are doing is sustainable.  They are the clear outlier.  I have a feeling at some point they are going to need Jimmy G to win them a game and I don't know if he's capable of doing it.

It will be interesting to revisit this in December.
And when Gurley was hobbled, they struggled mightily.  Their offense has been predicated at being able to run the ball.  Defenses have to respect that, and that opens up the misdirection and such.