Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broncos game....info. Advice needed.
so my daughter and son (in Maui) texted me that they are wanting to fly into LAX in November.......So, I asked..."Why / Whats up"?
she texted that all three of us are heading to.......

My first ever Vikings HOME GAME (against Broncos) .  I have gone to all the away "west coast games " for FIFTY years, but have never made the trip to a home game.

need some advice...

1.  is there a decent hotel within walking distance to the stadium?  doesnt have to be a five star experience, but want to avoid the ones that "charge by the hour" (If you know what i mean). 

2.  is there anyone planning any tailgating from this forumn that wouldnt mind if we joined you?  my daughter is in college at UH Maui, and my son is currently in 8th grade. 

3.  what are the "have to's" at USB and how long would it take. Is there a "hall of fame" there ? jerseys / helmets / etc?

4.  is there anyone on here whose ass i can kiss to get the kids on the field or locker room? 

any info. greatly appreciated. 

V83

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
so my daughter and son (in Maui) texted me that they are wanting to fly into LAX in November.......So, I asked..."Why / Whats up"?

My first ever Vikings HOME GAME (against Broncos) .  I have gone to all the away "west coast games " for FIFTY years, but have never made the trip to a home game.

need some advice...

1.  is there a decent hotel within walking distance to the stadium?  doesnt have to be a five star experience, but want to avoid the ones that "charge by the hour" (If you know what i mean). 

2.  is there anyone planning any tailgating from this forumn that wouldnt mind if we joined you?  my daughter is in college at UH Maui, and my son is currently in 8th grade. 

3.  what are the "have to's" at USB and how long would it take. Is there a "hall of fame" there ? jerseys / helmets / etc?

4.  is there anyone on here whose ass i can kiss to get the kids on the field or locker room? 

V83
I always stay at the Best Western Normandy. God, just looking at the pictures on the website stirs up a lot of memories (including the worst hangover I ever had). Remember meeting Vikeroo in the lobby there 20 some years ago. Plus a couple dozen other posters from boards gone past. Geoff, the guy who lives in England but has season tickets, stays there. It's nothing fancy, but it's within walking distance (about 4 or 5 blocks) and reasonably priced. 

Can't answer your other questions but others might. 

1. There are
lots of hotels around. If you do want a really nice experience the Hilton
Canopy is fairly new. It's a converted mill so it has that loft feel. I'm local
and stayed there for the season opener since I had company in town and we
wanted to hang out downtown all weekend and not worry about driving anywhere. We
rented one of the large suites with a view of the stadium and it was home base.
https://canopy3.hilton.com/en/hotels/minnesota/canopy-by-hilton-minneapolis-mill-district-MSPMIPY/index.html
There is a new restaurant attached to the hotel called the "Bacon Social House" which features a bacon themed menu. Hard to go wrong there :+1: The hotel is one block over from 2 of the tailgate lots and two blocks from the
stadium.

2. Your family is welcome to join us for
tailgating as is anyone from the board. Geoff, the guy mentioned above is a part of our tailgate group. It
will be mid-November weather so if it's cold we'll put the sides up on the
tents and fire up the heaters. We’ll have food and drink. And there are always
other outdoor activities around the stadium as well.

3. For full Vikings history, the Vikings
museum is at a different site altogether:  https://www.vikings.com/fans/vikings-museum
. It's right on the grounds of the training camp/practice facility. Maybe swing
over there if you’re interested? The facility is also where they film
the weekly ‘Vikings Live’ show. If you are a part of myvikingsrewards.com they post
an opportunity to sit in the audience for minimal points. You just have to
watch for the postings. They still offer full stadium tours of us bank stadium
but I'm not sure of the schedule. Since doors open to the stadium a couple of
hours before game time, you'll have plenty of time to explore. At the
stadium, go to the Vikings Voyage  https://www.vikings.com/stadium/vikings-voyage
Hopefully others can share more of things to see at the stadium.

4. Field or
Locker room would be a part of the tour. As far as game day, can’t help there.
If you have a ton of Marriott points you can use them to just buy an experience.
https://moments.marriottbonvoy.com/moments/10312.
I’ve considered but have never done it. My Vikings rewards usually has some
sort of game day experience posted as a drawing. I haven’t looked much this
year but previously I was able to be on the field at halftime to help hold the
flag during a hall of fame ceremony. Maybe someone else has some connections.

wow great stuff gang thanks so much.  i think my daughter is making all the arrangements, so Im going to forward this thread.  will keep folks updated with PMs, dont wanna take the boards time.  

you all are the best,

Peace, Love and SKOL

take up Nichelle on hanging with her group for a while.   Great group of people!   ( is there still a margarita machine? )

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:

need some advice...

1.  is there a decent hotel within walking distance to the stadium?  doesnt have to be a five star experience, but want to avoid the ones that "charge by the hour" (If you know what i mean). Plenty of Hotels Down Town (Normandy, Millennium, Hilton Garden Inn) problems is game weekend they are jacked up on price.  Another alternative is to stay out at the Mall of America and take the Light Rail to the Game.  You then have the ability to go to the Viking Hall of Fame at TCO and the luxury of the MOA for your son.  Game Day is a breeze to get there specially if you want to tailgate and get going early. 

Hooking up for a tailgate is usually pretty easy as the term Minnesota Nice is abundant.  If not there are plenty of bar/Grill Restaurants and the Game Day Experience that are a blast.  

The Bank opens its door early and is quit open to the field from the big doors to see stuff, of course the Viking ship and memorial Bricks are right out front, Both USB and MOA has the Viking Locker Room. MOA has many other stores that carry Viking merch, TCO is a shuttle ride away.  Nicolette Mall Down Town also has some shop (it is to boutique for me).
Mentioned before the tour of USB will get you in the Locker Room but I do not believe they run tours game week.  Look at US Bank Stadium Tours and they will give you black out dates.  The MOA usually has some kind of Viking Event Game Weekend so while maybe not seeing current players you would get a opportunity to see stars of the past.

V83

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
take up Nichelle on hanging with her group for a while.   Great group of people!   ( is there still a margarita machine? )
:3 As you know, there will always be the legendary margarita machine! Though for the Philly game, I handled the food (we cooked Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches on site) and our tailgate partners handled the drinks. They did a full bloody mary bar that included every fixing one could think of. They might have outdone the margarita machine.

@mjollnir_k  - Good info. Note that they do run tours during game week. My guests toured on the Saturday before the season opener. But they also have lots of blackout dates as well as other events happening at the stadium.

That's pure awesomeness!

very cool guys, appreciate the info.

will be hashing out all the details in the next few days.  thanks for all the great advice.

SKOL !