Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some insight into the "Hands to the Face" call (GB / Det)
A couple seasons ago our coach here in So. CA. brought in these gentlemen who have developed 
a blocking technique called "Tip of the Spear"  (Taking the head out of the game)

In two days, we taught our H.S. kids (and my son who was in 7th grade at the time)
how to "leverage" an opponents pads....straightening their spine with a "pillar"....and dominating at the LOS.

I periodically get updates from "Tip of the Spear", and have been VERY impressed with their teaching / philosophy.

Truth be known, once my son employed their technique, Refs have often asked him to "back off" on the blocks. (pancakes)

Got this from "Tip of the Spear in my email today:

Not sure if Pic's will open though: (copied from my email)

Penalty?  Or Dominating Technique!
I'm not sure if you watched it, but there was a controversial play that impacted the end of the Week 6 Monday night game between the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions.

To summarize, below is a picture of Trey Flowers (#90) making initial contact with the opponent's shoulder pad (using the "Pillar" Long Arm Pass Rush).  He was penalized for "illegal use of hands to the face!"  Replays clearly indicated the hand never left the shoulder pads.    
A football playerDescription automatically generated
The Long Arm technique is a cornerstone of Tip of the Spear contact strategies.  It is one of the most dominating pass rush techniques when done properly. 

Watch the next 2 frames of Flower’s approach…

A person trying to catch a ballDescription automatically generatedA picture containing grass player person outdoorDescription automatically generated

His arm stays long throughout, serving as a" pillar" to support the oncoming force driven from his lower body.

By landing his hand high on the chest plate, Flowers’ creates an ascending strike, forcing the offensive tackle backwards onto his heels, making recovery impossible.  The result is loss of balance.

The truth is...

More players are leading with hands, NOT the helmet in contact situations because of the performance advantages. This technique should be celebrated, not penalized. Communication between Coaches and Officials must continue to evolve because this is not a penalty (Our next email will discuss how officiating needs to evolve as the game evolves)!  But instead, a superior technique that results in dominating the line of scrimmage.
It is our goal to get more coaches and players (and officials) to see the value of techniques like this.
Dominate with superior technique and get the head out of play!

Scott Peters
Tip of the Spear Football, Founder

Yep.  But when Green Bay is involved, all the "rules" go out the window.

When Bukaki crys because he can't hold refs listen.

The technique is really quite impressive, when done correctly you can "steer your man" peek and shed quickly.

EXACTLY what Flowers does.  You'll notice how LONG he is as the  " Pillar" arm changes the opponents spine angle, driving them back, then rip through.

Quote: @"mjollnir_k" said:
When Bukaki crys because he can't hold refs listen.
When held the technique calls to "re-fit" on the inside of your opponents arms....forcing the opponents elbows UP....(against the natural "hinge" of the elbow)  

As a by-product if your opponent wants to hold....they're only gonna do it once, because you'll hyperextend their elbow.

done right it's absolutely NASTY !!