Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins: MVP Candidate?

I don't think the key is "ideology" I think it's improved oline play.  Mvp talk is just silly given his history of ups and downs along with the fact that it's only been 3 games of the new improved Kirk.  The media is perpetually in crown 'em mode for the sake of eyeballs and clicks but reality generally rules.

Oh the wild emotion swings over a 16 week season...

I just curl-up with my xanax for 6 mos  :p

Last year Bowles and the Jets figured out a blueprint vs the Vikings offense and the whole train went off the rails. 

Someone is going to come-up with a scheme to at least stall the play-action by stopping Dalvin. How The Capt'n and KS respond will be the key to the back 1/2 of the season. 

They have to show the ability to come from behind and go off-script when it eventually is needed. Thats what I'm waiting to see. 

We should roll The Redskins on Thursday, I dont expect that to be the next big challenge. 

Quote: @"comet52" said:
I don't think the key is "ideology" I think it's improved oline play.  Mvp talk is just silly given his history of ups and downs along with the fact that it's only been 3 games of the new improved Kirk.  The media is perpetually in crown 'em mode for the sake of eyeballs and clicks but reality generally rules.
Viking's fans should know better than to have any kind of buy in yet. But I am compartmentalizing the Viking's season by enjoying the weeks after a win in a vacuum. Part of me knows all to well that something bad is most probably coming. But I'm pushing that away and enjoying until cold reality forces me to do otherwise. 

Sure, why not? It's no more ridiculous than the bench him talk we heard a few weeks ago. 

Our mental well being would be much better off if we all just avoid the "this is who he is now" declarations. 

No one would be happier than me if Kirk can keep it up... but he is Kirk after all.  Proceed with caution.

This offense has so many weapons that so long as (1) the O-line holds up, (2) we play aggressively, and (3) the defense performs as it should, there is no reason we can't compete for a title.  (One caveat: our kicking game is reason for concern.)  Zimmer's natural tendency is to be conservative.  (Even the prevent defense towards the end of the Detroit game was predictable and predictably awful. Resulted in the lone 2d half TD scored by Detroit.) We need to avoid that, especially on offense. 
Leave the offense in the hands of Stefanski and Kubiak.  Look at what they have to work with: Thielen, Diggs, Cook, Rudy, Irv Smith, Mattison, and now, Cousins. That's a dangerous set of skill players.  Let them attack the opposing defenses on every possession.  They are doing a really nice job the last 3 weeks.  And there is still a lot more we can do.  Hurry-up offense?  We have barely seen it.  Isolate Cook on a LBer down the field; we have yet to see that.
The last 3 weeks are not a fluke and they are not a function of playing poor defenses.  I'm not saying we won't face tougher tests or that someone won't come up with a scheme to slow us down for awhile.  But this offense is good and is still getting better. Stay aggressive; we aren't playing this season to cower. 
I've been a Vikings fan for more than 50 years - and I believe.

Flipping the narrative:

I wouldn't say Cousins is having an MVP-caliber year.

But I will say he's shattering the narrative that he needs everything around him to be perfect. He's the 3rd-most pressured QB, #Vikings pass block grade ranks 24th, WRs are banged up, & he's still putting up elite numbers.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Flipping the narrative:

I wouldn't say Cousins is having an MVP-caliber year.

But I will say he's shattering the narrative that he needs everything around him to be perfect. He's the 3rd-most pressured QB, #Vikings pass block grade ranks 24th, WRs are banged up, & he's still putting up elite numbers.
MVP talk is ridiculous at this time of year.  But for me, it isn't just Kirk playing better, it is the entire offense.  Stef is learning, Kirk is learning, the offense is gelling.  So count me in as hopeful that it continues to gel, evolve and keep getting better.