Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of Irv
Smith taking the place of the #3 WRhttps://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/09/irv-smith-is-just-what-the-vikings-offense-needed/
Quote:Over the first three games the Vikings have used Smith 26, 26 and 31
plays. His presence has often been coupled with Pro Bowler Kyle Rudolph,
causing personnel mismatches. The Raiders routinely used an extra
linebacker when multiple tight ends were in the game.
Interestingly, this brings the LB back on the field and would seemingly work against the run heavy game plan.  But Smith has been a good blocker as well, and then when he releases down the seam, he is a mismatch for sure.

Been saying that the OCs have been salivating at having Irv in as it brings in more 4-3 defense which you can motion and flex out of. 

A LB covers Smith, you have a mistmatch
A S covers Smith, you can run with 7 in the box OR we audible to one on one matchups with 14 & 19.  

these are formation nightmares for Defenses bc the personal packages can look the same from play to play but the scheme and plays can be radically different

Irv runs and cuts like an athletic TE, a more modern TE. He'll add a different element to the offense. His blocking has been a bonus surprise.

I'm not too surprised Smith is blocking well...Bama produces fundamentally sound players...he might not have been asked to block often, but I'm sure he was coached up right...

I was really unsure about this pick when it happened, and then there wasn't much buzz around him in training camp (at least that I heard). So I've been very happy with the early returns. Irv looks like a player! I'm fine with the staff bringing him along slowly too. Would love to see him just explode in some divisional game down the road though... or maybe this next one... =)

The thing about Irv that I liked in the draft was that he was an all-around player. He wasn't the biggest (in fact, he's short), wasn't the fastest, but he could block, was a smart route runner, had reliable hands, and impeccable character--his father played in the league for several years. 

You give me a guy like that compared to a height/weight/speed kid with questions about effort (Noah Fant), I'll take the first guy every time.