Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hit those Tums once more...
https://twitter.com/joefujinaka/status/1...tweetembed&ref_url=safari-reader%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fwhy-wasnt-aaron-rodgers-called-for-multiple-delay-of-game-penalties-sunday%2F560502002%2F

It happened twice, but wasn't called.

Why wasn't Aaron Rodgers called for multiple delay of game penalties Sunday?

Indeed, it appeared that multiple times the play clock had run out on Green Bay, but the only delay penalty called during the game on the Packers came near the very end of the game and was intentional before a punt. So why wasn’t it called on Rodgers and the Packers? Let’s investigate:
*If you are operating under the assumption that the play clock you see on TV is somehow different than the play clock in the stadium, that is incorrect. Ryan Russell, a former student of mine who now works in broadcasting, confirms what I’ve seen reported elsewhere: the clocks are connected directly into the broadcast, so what you see in the stadium is what you see on TV. That doesn’t always work flawlessly, but that’s standard operating procedure.
Translation: It’s unlikely any clock discrepancy accounted for the lack of delay penalties, whereby officials were seeing time left when home viewers were not.
*A better, though not wholly satisfying, explanation comes from the Football Zebras site, which tackled this very question last year.
Basically, the back judge is the one who calls delay of game, and he or she has to monitor both the play clock and the center/QB. If the play clock hits zero:
If the center is snapping the ball, the back judge does not call delay of game. If the quarterback is still in his cadence and the center has not snapped the ball, then the back judge throws a flag for delay of game. Since the back judge has to transition his eyes from the clock to the center, the offense naturally gets around an extra quarter of a second to get the snap off. The back judge can’t look in two places at once.
*OK, simple fix right? Just let the back judge get notified in some way (like a buzzer on his or her hip?) that the play clock has expired so he or she doesn’t have to look in two places at once. Then the play clock can be a true 40 seconds, not 40.25 seconds or some such thing.
Ah, here’s where things get particularly frustrating. The NFL … doesn’t want it that way. Again, per Football Zebras: The Competition Committee does not want this parsed down to tenths of a second. They want the offense to be able to snap on the zero, but not after. … If we went to an exact science of determining delay of game, the game would bog down with a big jump in delay of game fouls.
http://www.startribune.com/why-wasnt-aar...560502002/

But: According to NFL Penalties, the Packers were called for delay of game nine times in 2018 (seven accepted, two declined), the most of any team in the NFL. The Vikings were flagged just three times.

That doesn’t mean, though, that Rodgers doesn’t cross the line far more often than he is flagged for — nor does it decrease the outrage factor on a frustrating Sunday.

so i wasnt seeing things

Its a f#$%ing joke. But the NFL DOESN"T CARE. Ratings are up. Its immensely popular, no matter how much the rules makers mess with it every year. Fans cannot help themselves, they have their crack and thy name is the NFL. They whine, they scream, they vent and then they continue to consume.

I'm having a hard time leaving behind the frustration of this f$%^ing game. And here's the thing now: the Oakland game is an expected win. And handily. Its going to be more relief than enjoyment this Sunday. I hate that. But that's what happens when a shit show like what happened at Lambeau is left leaving a bitter taste.

There were so many frustrating things in that game I'd forgotten about the delays. I saw two obvious late snaps and one that could've gone either way. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Its a f#$%ing joke. But the NFL DOESN"T CARE. Ratings are up. Its immensely popular, no matter how much the rules makers mess with it every year. Fans cannot help themselves, they have their crack and thy name is the NFL. They whine, they scream, they vent and then they continue to consume.

I'm having a hard time leaving behind the frustration of this f$%^ing game. And here's the thing now: the Oakland game is an expected win. And handily. Its going to be more relief than enjoyment this Sunday. I hate that. But that's what happens when a shit show like what happened at Lambeau is left leaving a bitter taste.
Thats your own mind playing tricks on yah lol!

As a season tix holder I've learned to go into these situations just to enjoy. This is exactly the game that would have been a trap at 2/0.

Now at 1/1 it's not a must win, but 1/2 would send Viking nation into a panic... 

Quote: @StickyBun said:

I, too, am fed up with the refs kissin' the Pukers ass on these "not so much a rule as a guideline" penalty enforcement when it comes to Erin.  Can't look in two places at once?  Really...that's the issue?  Maybe the same a**hole ref that caught Cook's infraction sitting on his butt in New York can watch the flippin' play clock for these blind zebras and lend them a hand.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQui8I7A6YnaDVJlMV6r_d...4RXvrFZRxw]

the excuse for this is a joke,   the play clocks are essentially in the line of sight at the ends of each stadium,  we are talking about a fraction of a tenth of a second to look between the two.  there are plenty of times that I have watched the play clock his zero and have time to start yelling at the TV and they still let him get the play off.

just one more way to rig a game i guess.  and rogers does this intentionally to try and get a guy to jump that is watching the play clock to try and jump as it hits zero as they know that he likes to snap the ball just past zero.