Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Football on Thursday Night - Here's what I look for
It is preseason game #1, so don't expect to learn a lot from the starters.  We all want to see the Offensive line and Dalvin Cook, but wait til next week to evaluate that.

I want to see if Taylor Heinicke or Case Keenam is the backup.  Taylor is up and down, but looked the better of the two in camp.  Not one chance in Hell that Teddy is ready for opening day.  He is in very rudimentary rehab on the field with Sharrif Floyd, who looks more and more like he will never play another down in the NFL.
What do rookies Rodney Adams and Stacy Coley bring?  Coley looked better in camp at the wideout position, but Adams is the flash for kick returns.   Will Moritz Bohringer ever get off the line of scrimmage, get open, and get any pass beyond 6 yards?  This guy looks the part, but is running about 8th string.  He does nothing in practice, he is just a warm body who is simply too raw for the NFL.
Bucky Hodges vs David Morgan.  Morgan is the better blocker, and Hodges is supposedly the better pass receiver, but he has not shown a lot in camp.
Can Jarius Wright get out of the doghouse and make this team?  At present, he is the 4th best wideout to the naked eye (behind Floyd, Thielen and Diggs), but the team just seems to always be looking for someone better to showcase.  Wright made a spectacular play in the scrimmage on Saturday night for a long TD reception...but no one talks about him.
LaQuon Treadwell - before we got to Mankato, everyone said he was having a better camp this year.  Since then, he has been injured and not at practice.  As Pete Bercich says, "you can't make the club, if you're always in the tub (whirlpool rehabbing).
Who grabs Chad Greenway's open LB spot?  Ben Gedeon was starting in camp, but the first depth chart didn't even list him there, instead, putting him 3rd team MLB.  Weird.  Lamur ahd Robinson have shown very little, but are listed ahead of Gedeon.
Has MacKenzie Alexander grown into the CB spot?  He has looked much better in camp, and so has Trae Waynes.  (on a side note, Waynes is very standoffish to the media, and Alexander is with him everywhere, which means neither talks to the press)
Punters and kickers - a bunch of lesser-known names, and it will be good to see what they show.
What do you look for?

Honestly, all I care about is no injuries. The rest will flesh itself out. Preseason is so unlike regular games, not sure there's a ton to take from it. Every QB is 12-14, 185 yards and looks 'great'.  But injuries, that can crush a team before September even gets here. 

Viking Football vs some one there not used to playing.  Players can have "good camps" because they know who they're up against and what they will do.  I want to see how our players react to the unknown, using their "football knowledge"... even if it's not our first stringers. 

I want to see a completely different offensive attack than the Vikings have used for the last 10 years.  I also want to see the "non excellence" out of our offensive line, I know it will not be the 1s out there, but Lord knows that we saw enough of the 3s and 4s last season.  Anyone out there on Thursday could be our starter at any given time.  There just cannot be the same drop off in production as there has been in the past when the subs are in.   

I want to see more than one catch from Treadwell. 

I want to see a Viking victory, but if they end up losing in the 4th I'll be okay with it.  I want a half time lead with decent play from our guys.  

I look for a scoop of vanilla with no toppings.  I want to see hustle,  i dont really care about anything else,  but i want to see kids that are really working for the job or working to take the job of somebody else.  its  PS1,  likely to be very ugly so yeah,  no injuries and get back to practice.

Hey Tom, thanks for writing this up, good info regarding what you've seen in camp Smile I'm perplexed about Jarius Wright. I just don't understand why we can't find a way to use this guy. I know he and Diggs are slot receivers, but to me they need to find a way to get this guy on the field for a few snaps each game. He's been a reliable receiver for many years. He's got good hands and he gets open. He's got good speed as well. As far as Treadwell, I really don't know what to think about him. It seems like he can't stay healthy and that doesn't bode well for his future. As it stands now he's behind 4 receivers on the team....as a #1 pick....and that sucks balls.

The first game - as others have said, I'm looking for no injuries to any starters that play.  But after that, I do want to see the OL guys in general.  Secondly, as I said in another thread, I want to see a Sankey vs. McKinnon battle.  Thirdly, is our special teams.  Kickers, punters, returners, etc.  Lastly, let's see what we've got in some of these tight ends.  Who can block, who can catch and who can do both.

There is no battle between Sankey and McKinnon unless it is contract based. 

Besides no injuries:

Our 1s vs their 1s despite no game plan

How did the rookies fair their first time out vs NFL level competition

Did the second year players advance their game

Effort on ST

The drop off from 1s to 2nd team

Are our backups winning more than they lose

What I will be looking for?  Football.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Honestly, all I care about is no injuries. 
This...

But also we have a lot of questions to answer around WR, C, LB, slot corner etc.

I look for the ones to be out of there by end of Q1.