Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: If Cook emerges as a top back, will LM still fit in ?
While Latavius Murray has been sidelined recovering from ankle surgery, rookie Dalvin Cook has shown everything the Minnesota Vikings hoped to see when they drafted him in the second round – and more.
Not only has Cook looked quick and appeared to fit into the Vikings’ zone running scheme, the all-time leading rusher at Florida State has been frequently come out of the backfield on screen passes and even lined up as a wide receiver. He’s also garnered good reviews as a pass protector, which was an area he needed to improve coming out of college.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/0...s-offense/

“I have a lot of catching up to do, he’s been on the field, he’s been playing,” Murray said. “He deserves everything that he has right now. I have to prove to the coaches and the team that I’m able to still go out there and perform at a high level.”
After Saturday night’s practice, Jerick McKinnon told 1500ESPN he sees all three running backs having specified roles. McKinnon is pretty clear: He’s a versatile playmaker who can line up outside or in the slot or even in the Wildcat, as he showed last season. Murray doesn’t quite fit the “playmaker” role, but he still has two elements of his game that stand out: His short-yardage rushing and pass blocking.
While Cook has gotten credit for improved blocking, Murray is one of the best blockers out of the backfield in the NFL.
“I was very critical of myself and I think that really motivated me to use my frame, even if it may not look pretty,” Murray said. “Use my frame, use my size, and make sure my guys doesn’t touch the quarterback. I think I’ve been able to improve on that each year.”
The 2015 Pro Bowler received the third highest grade as a pass blocker of any running back in the NFL last season by Pro Football Focus metrics.
I think we're fortunate as heck to have all 3 here...Enjoy em while we got em. Probably last year here for Jet.

Murray can play the role of short-yardage back because of his size – 6-foot-3, 230-pounds – but he has more versatility than you might expect. He carried the ball 86 times for 366 yards (4.3 Yards Per Carry) and caught 26 passes out of the shotgun in 2016.
So the Vikings could use Murray more in shotgun situations, while Cook plays more often in single-back or I-Form sets (if they keep a fullback). That might help cover up one of Murray’s shortcomings: Vision. *Outside zone runs might not fit as well as they would require the former Raider to be a little more patient as he looks to either cut back or hit a gap. He might be better fit for shotgun inside zone runs instead.
*There are many good breakdowns of how zone runs work, this one is solid

I would say he will fit in as Cook IMO will be a 3 down back but we need that player to come in on 3rd downs, if needed, and be a guy that can be counted on when Cook cant be in there. I very much think that Murray has a spot here and he could be part of a nice two headed monster if he wants to stay and be a part of something that could be special.

Great depth in any event. I just want whomever starts to be effective.

Murray will fit in just fine and brings something to the table that Cook isn't known for, IMO.  I'm not so sure McKinnon does anymore however.  I'm going to be very interested in watching Sankey play this preseason.  I think it's very possible he (Sankey) brings a better skillset combination to mix in with Cook and Murray's style, than McKinnon does.    

Quote: @"AllBS" said:
Murray will fit in just fine and brings something to the table that Cook isn't known for, IMO.  I'm not so sure McKinnon does anymore however.  I'm going to be very interested in watching Sankey play this preseason.  I think it's very possible he (Sankey) brings a better skillset combination to mix in with Cook and Murray's style, than McKinnon does.    
I noted saturday night that Sankey looked better and actually took some reps from McKinnon.

Murray will be the short yardage back if you ask me. McKinnon will be a utility guy a la david palmer back in the day. It will take a few weeks before Murray is getting 20 carries a game I believe. Plenty of room for Murray on this squad. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
Murray will be the short yardage back if you ask me. McKinnon will be a utility guy a la david palmer back in the day. It will take a few weeks before Murray is getting 20 carries a game I believe. Plenty of room for Murray on this squad. 
Exactly how I foresee this playing out...

Eeeks I meant it will take a few weeks before Cook is getting 20 carries a game. But the rest of my post stands.