Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking's staff all-in on 'run first' game plan
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-coach...559207682/

Not sure if others agree, but this is a make-or-break year for Zimmer. They went and spent the money on the QB. He's loaded up his defense with talent. Now he's brought in a zone-blocking guru (Dennison) and a run game genius (Kubiak) to move forward with a run-first philosophy which goes against recent NFL analytics and QB rules made to help the passing game. 

Zimmer just pushed all-in on the river and all his chips are in the pot, for better or worse. The team needs to win this year.

until the go 3 and out a few times and then he will be yelling about needing to open the offense up more... 

how about we just go with a balanced attack and make the defense pay for what they leave exposed?  Cousins is bright enough,  let him call some plays at the line based on what he sees for a defensive personnel package and pre snap alignment?

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
until the go 3 and out a few times and then he will be yelling about needing to open the offense up more... 

how about we just go with a balanced attack and make the defense pay for what they leave exposed?  Cousins is bright enough,  let him call some plays at the line based on what he sees for a defensive personnel package and pre snap alignment?

Yep. Many teams with far better O-lines than ours have stuck with a balanced offense. That's what the Vikings will do too I think. Our passing weapons are arguably better than our run game ones.
Even a 60/40 run-pass split feels like it would be too much. I don't believe he does, but if Zimmer really does want to die on a running game hill then I have a bad feeling he's going to get his wish.

I love the run philosophy - but that D better be stout this season...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I love the run philosophy - but that D better be stout this season...
I think that part of the issue we have seen regarding "run first" was the defenses slow start in some games which put increased pressure on opening up the offense more than they planned on.  a slow tempo run offense is great for a defense,  as long as that defense isnt putting the O behind on the score board or leaving them in difficult field position regularly.

it is truly a team game and when 1 aspect falters it affect every other aspect of the game.

I'm not sure if the media is 100% correct on this "run-first" philosophy.  That could easily be misconstrued as a run/run/pass offense, which I don't see happening. From the quotes I've heard/read from Zimmer, he wants a "balanced" offense that runs the balls, uses play-action (one of Cousin's strengths as a passer), and controls the time of possession.  That was a winning formula in 2017 when we were the #2 seed and won 13 games with Case Keenum as our QB.

Under DeFelippo, we were throwing the ball over 65% of the time...  that is ridiculously skewed and made our offense pretty predictable. We were right behind Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta as the pass heaviest teams in the NFL last year...  and guess what?  None of those teams (including the Vikings) made the playoffs last season.  On the flip side, with Shurmur as our OC, we passed 54% of the time and were very multiple on offense (we could run or pass out of the same formation/offensive look).

I think there is a happy medium there somewhere. Hopefully Stefanski and Kubiak can have the same success as Shurmur did...  except this time, we have a better passer and are loaded with weapons on offense.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
I'm not sure if the media is 100% correct on this "run-first" philosophy.  That could easily be misconstrued as a run/run/pass offense, which I don't see happening. From the quotes I've heard/read from Zimmer, he wants a "balanced" offense that runs the balls, uses play-action (one of Cousin's strengths as a passer), and controls the time of possession.  That was a winning formula in 2017 when we were the #2 seed and won 13 games with Case Keenum as our QB.

Under DeFelippo, we were throwing the ball over 65% of the time...  that is ridiculously skewed and made our offense pretty predictable. We were right behind Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta as the pass heaviest teams in the NFL last year...  and guess what?  None of those teams (including the Vikings) made the playoffs last season.  On the flip side, with Shurmur as our OC, we passed 54% of the time and were very multiple on offense (we could run or pass out of the same formation/offensive look).

I think there is a happy medium there somewhere. Hopefully Stefanski and Kubiak can have the same success as Shurmur did...  except this time, we have a better passer and are loaded with weapons on offense.
Iirc Kubiak's history is roughly 55 pass to 45 run.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:

Well said.  As the other article quoted Zim, against NE we were getting 8 yards a carry yet we threw 65% (?) of the time.  That is ridiculous.  If we have a balance so the other team can't just squat on on aspect of the game and shut us down, I think we will be successful.  If defensive coordinators don't circle our game as a week they can catch up on some sleep, I will be happy.
I think with Kubiak having a guiding hand on the offense, we will do well.  With more teams trying to imitate Zimmer's D, and Kubiak's offense one that Zimmer always had problems with, we have a good recipe.

This team has to run effectively to be successful. Cousins can't carry the team on his arm and Zimmer is playing to his strength with play action. It's exactly the approach needed to be successful with Cousins as QB.
But as mentioned, the defense will need to be stout to keep the offense from playing from behind.
Hard to come from behind with this kind of offense.
T.O.P. and quick starts will be crucial. And I hate to say it, but the kicker will play a role as the games are likely to be closer in score.
This should give Cousins his best opportunity to win. We shall see!

I envision us as pretty even offensively, with an emphasis on running well to set up play action. If we can get some nice gains on 1st down running, that opens everything up. That is why Flip's offense didn't work. Too pass orientated, and not enough runs to set up play action (as mentioned before, Cousins strength).