Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 out of 12 Viking's draft picks make roster
Wow. So what does that say about the state of the team? Good? Bad? 

Not really sure.  Some of it is probably due to managing cap space.  There was a necessary turnover of the roster and going into the draft we knew they had to be successful with a number of picks to fill holes.  

We won’t know for a year or two for sure.

The team got younger for sure...

IMO the Vikes weren't getting players developing in the bottom of the roster. 

by drafting 12 players, the Vikings staff  got the  competition they wanted and  have new players in the incubator.  

Yeah I'm probably over optimistic but at least we'll see that now camp is over if they can be developed.

Drafting 12 and keeping 2 or 3 means you paid more attention to the Kipers of the world than trusting your own personnel.

in todays NFL with so little practice time allowed by the CBA there is really little time to develop players.   The starters get the bulk of the snaps,  the 2nds eat up most of the rest of those snaps and those that are left are used to run the scout team so they arent really working on their own O or D, they get reps and get coached up a little I am sure,   but the days of finding the next Johnny Randle or Tom Brady are likely in the rear view mirror in most cases since the union wont allow it, and with the veteran money escalator the unproven guys are much cheaper than developing a guy over the course of more than a couple years.

Guys that are complete always get found. Adam was an undrafted free agent and has shined. Guys have to be good in practice, preseason, meeting rooms and elsewhere, or they don't rise. The vikings have done very well adding undrafted or low drafted players, but they need to be the complete package, or they aren't going to get the 2nd team reps.......Mike Boone, Holton Hill, Mata'afa all come to mind.

Quote: @"JoDakota" said:
Guys that are complete always get found. Adam was an undrafted free agent and has shined. Guys have to be good in practice, preseason, meeting rooms and elsewhere, or they don't rise. The vikings have done very well adding undrafted or low drafted players, but they need to be the complete package, or they aren't going to get the 2nd team reps.......Mike Boone, Holton Hill, Mata'afa all come to mind.
Weren't several of your examples also cut at least once in their career including Theilen?  So what does that do for your arguement that the coaches know best all the time?

Again,  you are painting yourself into a corner by refusing to consider that the coaches may not always make the best decisions,  but what ever.

Several guys get cut in their first go around, as they just weren't ready or complete players yet. College offenses can be so different from pro sets, it may take a year or two or team or two to catch on. The players weren't ready, so the coach was right at that time. It's not hard to figure out.

You make it sound like because of the union, none of these guys will get found. I say they will if they can learn the playbook and become more complete players, they will eventually get an opportunity. Now when they do, the coach is right again.

I trust the coaches and GM's who get paid millions to evaluate talent more than a guy living in his mom's basement.

Quote: @"JoDakota" said:
Several guys get cut in their first go around, as they just weren't ready or complete players yet. College offenses can be so different from pro sets, it may take a year or two or team or two to catch on. The players weren't ready, so the coach was right at that time. It's not hard to figure out.

You make it sound like because of the union, none of these guys will get found. I say they will if they can learn the playbook and become more complete players, they will eventually get an opportunity. Now when they do, the coach is right again.

I trust the coaches and GM's who get paid millions to evaluate talent more than a guy living in his mom's basement.
oh you are so clever.... look all he made the moms basement joke to try and anger me.... once again joe,  grow the fuck up or go back to facebook or where ever your posting style is actually appreciated.