Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something that was overlooked against the Saints...
I didn't realize this, but the Vikings didn't give up a single sack in their first preseason game.  I thought the protection looked pretty good considering we had 3 different QBs play and a couple different OL combinations during the game.  Hopefully this becomes a theme and we can keep Cousins clean during the regular season.

It did appear that the interior OL in particular held-up. Hill scares me  Confused

Check out this outside zone blocking on Boone's run. Now imagine Bradbury, O'Neal, Elflein and Cook running it. 

From what I've read only, Bradbury didn't go backwards. He can anchor. I hope O'Neill gets back, Vikes don't play until Sunday night I believe? 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
From what I've read only, Bradbury didn't go backwards. He can anchor. I hope O'Neill gets back, Vikes don't play until Sunday night I believe? 
That stuff about him being unable to anchor was horseshit. He had no trouble anchoring against the two big Clemson tackles (both 1st round draft picks, by the way) or anyone else during the season.  That narrative came from a couple of one on ones at the Senior Bowl, where he was pushed back a couple of times. But he also reset himself very well. And those one on one matchups are very misleading. The defender always has the advantage. It's just strength against strength, and Bradbury is a lighter, quicker zone blocking type. Sure, the bigger guys are going to be able to push him into the pocket a little, but in a zone he's going to get help. And then on running plays he's going to make their lives miserable hitting them from the sides from God knows where, by piling them up, basically rendering their size and strength irrelevant. 

I'm sure he's got a long way to go, but so far so good. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
That stuff about him being unable to anchor was horseshit. He had no trouble anchoring against the two big Clemson tackles (both 1st round draft picks, by the way) or anyone else during the season.  That narrative came from a couple of one on ones at the Senior Bowl, where he was pushed back a couple of times. But he also reset himself very well. And those one on one matchups are very misleading. The defender always has the advantage. It's just strength against strength, and Bradbury is a lighter, quicker zone blocking type. Sure, the bigger guys are going to be able to push him into the pocket a little, but in a zone he's going to get help. And then on running plays he's going to make their lives miserable hitting them from the sides from God knows where, by piling them up, basically rendering their size and strength irrelevant. 

I'm sure he's got a long way to go, but so far so good. 
Nothing like a good Wham block in the ribs from the side to settle some of those big NTs down. Good to hear. 

But then we cut one of the LTs - the one we picked up from Philly - who looked like he did a nice job vs. N.O., and we picked up a converted TE. I'm guessing it has to be an athleticism move for the zone blocking scheme.