Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions wanted: Thoughts on having Pro Sports on YouTube
So I'm out here in the Bay Area, and yesterday I was going to watch my SF Giants baseball game on the normal cable broadcast. But, no broadcast. Instead I find out that the game is being broadcast on YouTube. I was pissed. I pay for cable  in part to get my local teams on TV. So I miss the game, of which Bumgarner pitches 7 scoreless and we win 5-0.
Personally I don't want to watch my sports on Social Media sites. AT all. But this looks like the future of sports broadcasting. What are your thoughts on this? Love it? Hate It?

I always want to watch the Vikings' games on my big screen TV.  That's the sole reason I bought it for, along with the goddamn cable service.  I'd be pissed to if I had to watch the games on a small computer screen.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I sort of like the trend. I cut the cord in March..no cable, no satellite. just Netflix, Prime and Youtube. And I didn't miss it in the least. In fact, I was kicking myself for waiting so long to do it. I might change my mind after the football season as I scramble every week to piece together a way to watch every Viking game. For me it will be a combination of things: Playstation Vue ($56/mo) for locally broadcast games, NFLN and ESPN games and either a search of Reddit for satellite feeds or a trip to the Vikings bar, which I'm sort of looking forward to. 

One thing I don't like doing is watching things on my phone or laptop, but I hear there are ways to connect them to the TV. If I'm nice, I'm sure my 12 year old will show me how. :-)

Most TV's come with a smart interface for streaming and with Wifi connectivity is much easier than copper.  I cut my cable/satellite services in 2009.  There are a lot of options and you can get as complex as you want.  I just stayed simple and have been more than happy with the Netflix/Prime/Hulu combination.  Get the ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS and fox on antenna and each has two or three additional channels.

Most people don't get bay area tv so for those outside of the bay area that want to watch the Giants its probably a net bonus aka more money to the mlb.
My samsung tv seamlessly does dish, netfilx, prime, youtube ect.  The only hangup is when I need to borrow a Viking stream.  If it wasn't for the Viking streams I wouldn't be able to watch the Vikings so Thank God there is the internet.  Screw Direct TV and their over priced BS service. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Most people don't get bay area tv so for those outside of the bay area that want to watch the Giants its probably a net bonus aka more money to the mlb.
My samsung tv seamlessly does dish, netfilx, prime, youtube ect.  The only hangup is when I need to borrow a Viking stream.  If it wasn't for the Viking streams I wouldn't be able to watch the Vikings so Thank God there is the internet.  Screw Direct TV and their over priced BS service. 

What Viking streams do you use?

Amazon Fire Stick or Roku will solve your issue. I have both and you can watch Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Sling and YouTube on whichever TV you choose. 

I think the future is 100% digital streaming.  I think there’s a lot you could do to enhance
the product with a custom streaming service that you can’t do with OTA or
cable.  You could have home and away
radio announcers, nonofficial announcers, foreign language announcers, alternate
audio streams like field mics or player mics. 
You could have multiple packages. 
For football, you could change the game to not have TV timeouts and
speed up the game for paying customers, while time delaying the rest of the
game to put the ads back in for the non-paying customers.  Pay a little extra and you get a feed near
the players on the sidelines for the extra ambiance.  Turn on or off the onfield graphics.  Then you could always sell the games to any
of the other packages, so people could watch it on their preferred content provider.

I just can't wait for the day where everything is just ala carte. The technology is there. It's what people want. Why not just do it? You want to watch the Vikings? You can watch the Vikings. You want to watch Spongebob, you watch Spongebob. You only pay for what you watch. Demand determines the price. 

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@AGRforever said:

What Viking streams do you use?
google: redditnflstreams