Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8/3 was an awful day in this country....
Prayers go out to the survivors in Tx and Ohio.

How in the world do we better control people who shouldn't have guns from having guns? I'm not smart enough to answer that one.

Maybe the health care system is letting us down too? There's a # of mentally ill people probably not getting anywhere near the treatment they should be getting. 

Wish I knew the answer to that. That is what really needs to be looked at. 

Sad and awful.
I don't think there will ever be a answer to why this keeps happening. As for a solution. I'm sure eventually some day they pass something that does nothing and pleases nobody. Then they will all claim some victory. Till the next time it happens then they will say. See not tough enough from one side and see it doesn't work anyways from the other.  Then back to nothing. That's how they work. 
It is going to keep happening. The worse part is unlike other countries we don't have an enemy to focus our anger on. There is no terrorist group claiming credit. We have no PLO or IRA. It's terrorism created from within by our own inaction. Better access to mental health services seems to be the easiest place to start. They just somehow can't find the funding or the motivation. A few thousand senseless deaths isn't enough to tackle the tough issues. If the answers not that there are to many guns. It must be at least there's to many getting in the hand of the wrong people.
Now Washington it's your turn again do your best at doing what you've always done. Feign outrage and keep on pocketing the sweet blood money.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Prayers go out to the survivors in Tx and Ohio.

How in the world do we better control people who shouldn't have guns from having guns? I'm not smart enough to answer that one.

Maybe the health care system is letting us down too? There's a # of mentally ill people probably not getting anywhere near the treatment they should be getting. 
Solutions? Isn't that politicizing the situation?

"Thoughts and prayers" needs to go away. It solves nothing. 

Here's one of the major problems:

"We cannot allow all of these people to invade our Country [sic - because he's an idiot]. When somebody comes in, we must immediately, with no Judge [sic] or Court Cases [sic], bring them back from where they came. Our system is a mockery to good immigration policy and Law and Order[sic - this isn't the TV show, no need to capitalize, dummy]. Most children come without parents..." - President Baby

THIS guy is a major part of the problem. We have a gun control problem, a mental health problem, but the latest catalyst is a mentally ill narcissistic dick head riling up easily-influenced stupid people. Impeach this fucking guy now. It's only going to get worse. 

There will ALWAYS be stupid people, but we need to collectively work together to stop emboldening them. He's doing it for his ego (and votes). 

Written by former GWB speechwriter, Michael Gerson, before El Paso.

"I had fully intended to ignore President Trump’s latest round of racially charged taunts against an African American elected official, and an African American activist, and an African American journalist and a whole city with a lot of African Americans in it. I had every intention of walking past Trump’s latest outrages and writing about the self-destructive squabbling of the Democratic presidential field, which has chosen to shame former vice president Joe Biden for the sin of being an electable, moderate liberal. 

But I made the mistake of pulling James Cone’s 'The Cross and the Lynching Tree' off my shelf — a book designed to shatter convenient complacency. Cone recounts the case of a white mob in Valdosta, Ga., in 1918 that lynched an innocent man named Haynes Turner. Turner’s enraged wife, Mary, promised justice for the killers. The sheriff responded by arresting her and then turning her over to the mob, which included women and children. According to one source, Mary was 'stripped, hung upside down by the ankles, soaked with gasoline, and roasted to death. In the midst of this torment, a white man opened her swollen belly with a hunting knife and her infant fell to the ground and was stomped to death.' 

God help us. It is hard to write the words. This evil — the evil of white supremacy, resulting in dehumanization, inhumanity and murder — is the worst stain, the greatest crime, of U.S. history. It is the thing that nearly broke the nation. It is the thing that proved generations of Christians to be vicious hypocrites. It is the thing that turned normal people into moral monsters, capable of burning a grieving widow to death and killing her child. 

When the president of the United States plays with that fire or takes that beast out for a walk, it is not just another political event, not just a normal day in campaign 2020. It is a cause for shame. It is the violation of martyrs’ graves. It is obscene graffiti on the Lincoln Memorial. It is, in the eyes of history, the betrayal — the re-betrayal — of Haynes and Mary Turner and their child. And all of this is being done by an ignorant and arrogant narcissist reviving racist tropes for political gain, indifferent to the wreckage he is leaving, the wounds he is ripping open. 

Like, I suspect, many others, I am finding it hard to look at resurgent racism as just one in a series of presidential offenses or another in a series of Republican errors. Racism is not just another wrong. The Antietam battlefield is not just another plot of ground. The Edmund Pettus Bridge is not just another bridge. The balcony outside Room 306 at the Lorraine Motel is not just another balcony. As U.S. history hallows some causes, it magnifies some crimes. 

What does all this mean politically? It means that Trump’s divisiveness is getting worse, not better. He makes racist comments, appeals to racist sentiments and inflames racist passions. The rationalization that he is not, deep down in his heart, really a racist is meaningless. Trump’s continued offenses mean that a large portion of his political base is energized by racist tropes and the language of white grievance. And it means — whatever their intent — that those who play down, or excuse, or try to walk past these offenses are enablers. 

Some political choices are not just stupid or crude. They represent the return of our country’s cruelest, most dangerous passion. Such racism indicts Trump. Treating racism as a typical or minor matter indicts us." 

Quote: @KingBash said:
"Thoughts and prayers" needs to go away. It solves nothing. 

Here's one of the major problems:

"We cannot allow all of these people to invade our Country [sic - because he's an idiot]. When somebody comes in, we must immediately, with no Judge [sic] or Court Cases [sic], bring them back from where they came. Our system is a mockery to good immigration policy and Law and Order[sic - this isn't the TV show, no need to capitalize, dummy]. Most children come without parents..." - President Baby

THIS guy is a major part of the problem. We have a gun control problem, a mental health problem, but the latest catalyst is a mentally ill narcissistic dick head riling up easily-influenced stupid people. Impeach this fucking guy now. It's only going to get worse. 

There will ALWAYS be stupid people, but we need to collectively work together to stop emboldening them. He's doing it for his ego (and votes). 
good thing once hes out of office it will go back to the way it was before him when there were no gun problems,  no racial issues, no immigration problems,  mental health was dealt with... 

oh wait.  we had all those things before he was elected.

I've made it clear. I'm no fan of Trumps often inflammatory rhetoric. Right from the time he started running up till now. However I'm not going to say that his rhetoric is the root cause. These men had sick minds. If it wasn't now with Trump it would be someone else. Maybe lash out at what they viewed as weak and deserving government. My point is the obvious mental illness needed to act on this is the root. What set it off could have been anything.  If not now some other time. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
I've made it clear. I'm no fan of Trumps often inflammatory rhetoric. Right from the time he started running up till now. However I'm not going to say that his rhetoric is the root cause. These men had sick minds. If it wasn't now with Trump it would be someone else. Maybe lash out at what they viewed as weak and deserving government. My point is the obvious mental illness needed to act on this is the root. What set it off could have been anything.  If not now some other time. 
I think the current regime in Washington has absolutely fertilized the soil for the alt-right, racists (insert more here) and Trump has done nothing to unite - he likes conflict and unease. 

Mental Health care woes & gun control problems in this country? They've been around a long time before this Looney Tune took office. I should have been enjoying John Lennon writing and performing the last 35-40 years too.