Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL officials to emphasize offensive holding in '19
Aaron Rodgers plans to appeal...  Wink B)

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Offensive holding will be a significant point of emphasis for NFL officials this season, raising the possibility of a spike in penalties as players adjust to elevated rule enforcement.According to guidance released over the weekend, existing rules on holding "will be more strictly enforced this season, particularly on the backside of the run play or line of scrimmage." Referee Adrian Hill, who visited the Chicago Bears training camp Monday, said the league is trying to eliminate a technique sometimes known as the "lobster block," where offensive linemen grab defenders around the torso or shoulders to prevent them from flowing to the play from the backside.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27282277/nfl-officials-emphasize-offensive-holding-19

Lol. My first thought was except for Green Bay.

Does this mean the blush is off the rose of GB.?  Or it be a whole new way of selective enforcement 

In Green Bay they call it 'Hugging' and The League loved it until all 31 other teams said, 'Okay, We can coach that up, Easy!  Heck We've been trying to get Our Players to stop doing it all this time!'

How about this ... only call holding if it is directly helps the offense.  If a running back breaks one - don’t call holding on the wide reciever on the other side of the field.  

I don’t have any problems with whatever rules they adopt.  

Just enforce them equally. 

Quote: @kahsmick said:
In Green Bay they call it 'Hugging' and The League loved it until all 31 other teams said, 'Okay, We can coach that up, Easy!  Heck We've been trying to get Our Players to stop doing it all this time!'
Kinda was my thought.  GB has been doing it for years and the complaints fell on deaf ears.  Now that other figured they could teach their line that, the league sez no way.

Why now? The timing seems strange. I don't know that this new rule, if actually respected and utilized, will hurt one team worse than another but it will definitely effect some individual players more than others.